1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Texans still made a huge mistake taking Mario

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jmftexas, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmftexas

jmftexas Member

1. Quarterbacks are much more valuable than defensive ends. Quarterback is the only position where a star can carry an average team to the super bowl.

2. Mario Williams is a piece of the puzzle. Vince Young is the whole puzzle.

3. Vince has carried a team with no wide receiver threats, a subpar o-line, no breakway rb threat, and an inconsistent defense to a 8-6 record. Imagine what he can do with upgrades at every position.

4. Mario Williams made 2.5 sacks against the Titans and the Texans still allowed 28 points and lost. That would average out to a 40 sack season going 0-16 and allowing 28 ppg? Would anyone be happy with that?

5. No one cares about the Texans besides die hard fans in the city of Houston. Austin and San Antonio don't even carry their games which is unprecedented. With Vince Young the Texans are as popular as the Cowboys in the state of Texas.

6. Despite severe denial by Texans, Aggies, or whomever, Vince Young is a special player. He may struggle at times early in his career. As did Aikman, Steven Young, Elway, about all the great ones, but you can see what he's capable of producing in his big games. If he does that consistently you are talking super bowls. His stats may never look all-pro with Jeff Fisher as his coach, but at every level he's been among the leaders in the one that counts, W's. Also, he's been hampered with the hamstring this season and not close to 100% speed.

7. I have nothing agianst Mario, I hope he succeeds, as I have noted earlier I think he's irrelevent in this argument. That being said, I don't think you can rule out the possibility that this season could be a fluke. He has been the beneficiary of some botched plays and on most sacks seems to be the second man to the qb. Maybe he continues to progress and is among the best de's in the game though, time will tell. Again, I think it's an irrelevent point. The Colts are without Freeney this season and still only have 2 losses. Without Peyton they are probably starring at 6 loses.

2. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I cant wait to see the responses to this thread....

8. Titans were one game out of the playoffs last year, and one game behind this year with 2 games left. VINCE JUST WINS

#2 mrdave543, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dumbest thread ever.

Seriously, completely idiotic thoughts.

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

This should be a lesson to all members:

NEVER post after smoking crack.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The only thing I'm responding to is this...they show every Texans game in San Antonio.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wait......did you just give an argument where you compared Mario with Freeney and Vince with Peyton?

No chance at all you attend(ed) UT, right?

Evan

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

God, I am so sick of this argument. The Tennessee DEFENSE has carried the team this year, not Vince. (And this is coming from a Texas Ex.)

8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

You also forgot to mention that Mario speeds through puddles to splash water on people who happen to be walking by on the sidewalk...and Vince will frequently listen to a police scanner and randomly show up at homes where cats are stuck in trees (sorta like Shaq).

thread failure

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

10. jmftexas

jmftexas Member

The Colt reference was to illustrate the importance of de as compared to qb's. Obviously Mario Williams is no Dwight Freeney.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

KY can't carry anything. The Titans defense MIGHT get them into the playoffs.

A puzzle of the worst giant turd starting quarterback in the NFL.

KY carried the Titans this year as much as he did with the win against the Texans when HE DIDNT EVEN PLAY. That would be none.

The Titans won the game that Vince didn't play. They would be undefeated if he sat them all out.

Al of those people suck like you do. Who cares?

Special as in r****ded.

The Texans would have no wins with KY as their quarterback.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Shouldve taken the best QB in the draft.

Jay Cutler.

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

So to sum up the trolling UT poster.

Vince Young = Jesus
    Mario Williams = Lucifer
    Reggie Bush = Kevin Faulk

14. TheyCallmeExMan

when vy learns to throw ill take u more seriously.

15. Astro101

Astro101 Member

OMG STFU. F VY!

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

But Vince is obviously Peyton's equal.

17. jmftexas

jmftexas Member

Yes, you a are right. Cutler led the Broncos to what 13 points against one of the worst secondaries in the nfl. Vince led Titans with less offensive threats to 28 points against them. You are right Cutler looks much better???????? :confused: :confused:

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The only real argument is that:

with drafting VY is we would not have had to give up 2 #2 draft picks. And the QB with got with those picks is obviously injury prone.

I think that we should have just rolled with Sage but thats not what HAPPENED so the subsequent moves to fill the position that was not filled by the Mario pick needs to be taken into account.

Therefore Mario (who plays a position where we had an excess of players) has to be BETTER than VY and have more of an impact to say it was a good pick.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Guess I have to go back on what I said about only 1 response...

2006 & 2007 combined sacks:

Dwight Freeney - 9

Mario Williams - 17.5

I know...sacks aren't the only way to judge. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

The Colts went 13-3 in Peyton's second year and to the playoffs. Where are the titans this year? Where is VY's improvement?

20. jmftexas

jmftexas Member

I wouldn't put Peyton on Vince's level due to lack of mobility.

Peyton was a .500 qb after 2 seasons, Vince is 15-12 as a starter so far. I would say it's easy to see who projects better after two seasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.