1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the team play differently w / wo Tmac?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KITZ, Feb 5, 2008.

1. KITZ

KITZ Member

Actually, I just want to share some thought here and want to see if anyone can share a better thought...

1. Tmac is damn talent that he can even win game / takeover game just simply by himself
    2. From pt. 1, that means if the flow of the game is not smooth, he will try to go back to finish the game by himself
    3. Since then, the flow of the game came back to its oldshelf (Tmac takeover and others start to stand & watch)
    4. Of coz there's others responsibility for being stand & watch, but returning to pt. 1, it's difficult for others to predict what's Tmac gonna to do next (Teamate doesn't know he will dribble / penetrate or just shoot in the next play, which make them hestitate to penetrate / move without the ball)
    5. Eventually, we live & die with Tmac jump shoot like what we saw today (Yes, we won today)

No offense to Tmac (he is a great player), but I do think there's a possibility that this team can flow (ball movement) better than this. (I would rather bet on a "System Consistency" rather than a "Player Consistency" any time, no matter he is Tmac / Yao or any Rocket player)

Maybe they just need time, I dunno.

Thought?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I dunno, it's weird. The last thing I would have thought was that TMac wouldnt fit in the new system. He seems taylor-made for a motion offense.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

last 3 games

v. pacers: 48% fg, 25 assists (5 guys in double figures)
    v. bucks: 51% fg, 24 assists (4 guys in double figures)
    v. wolves: 46% fg, 23 assists (5 guys in double figures)

see the trend. so please stop these dumb threads. the reason we have barely squeaked by these teams is on the DEFENSIVE end and not taking care of the ball. that could be due to tmac's lack of intensity on the DEFENSIVE end, but it's also team defense.

can we stop blaming the offense on tracy? had we not turn it over the last 2 games, we would have gone 100+ pts easy

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

TMAC killed his teammates' creativity by his ballhogging.

5. FFz

FFz Member

I watched the Twolves game and the players basically played motion offense with tmac on there. THere wasn't many plays that they wouldn't have ran if it was luther head instead of t-mac.

Players probably still have to adjust to not just staring at T-mac when he has the ball. Its a hard habit to break but they're doing it.

6. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

At this point, even when Mac isn't on the loor, they ae just reverting back to the old pick and roll offense. At this point it looks like our best bet for this season since nearly all of our players benefit more from it (with exception of Rafer). Last year Yao dominated in the system, so I do not believe he plays better in the motion offense.

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Not really, T-Mac only looked to score at the end. He was scoring within the offense for most of the game.

8. durvasa

durvasa Member

The Rockets were relying heavily on PnR offense even when T-Mac was out. Right now, he's pretty much doing what the offense demands of him.

9. KITZ

KITZ Member

I am not blaming him, seriously. I just want to find out what's going on and discuss. BTW, I do think if our offensive is smooth, it will also used up more opponent energy on denfensive end (tracing the ball) which turned out to be less energy on offensive end.

10. MeatAndPotatoes

one thing i noticed: if you ever get a chance, look at Rafer Alston whenever T-Mac has these break-out games where he takes over. He doesn't do jack. When tracy plays the point, rafer runs to a corner and won't take a single step, his arms are at his sides, and his head slowly follows wherever the ball goes. His defender is usually no closer than 5 or 6 feet from him.

Whenever Tmac makes a crazy 3 like the one he did tonight, look at rafer alston's facial expression. He watches the ball go in, and he says "holy s***" with his eyes wide-open in amazement. I think he totally forgets that he's on the court sometimes, and he thinks he's on the bench.

11. eatsleepdrink

eatsleepdrink Member

Actually, that could be a compliment. In Phil Jackson's book he described when he first coached MJ's Bulls, MJ's teammates were like fans watching the game from the stand. A good coach will break this habit.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

who wouldn't? it's freakin' tracy mcgrady. only kobe and lebron can do what he can do at his best. every person in the arena should be in awe, not just rafer.

but what u have seen the past 2 games is rafer being back to the guy who plays without tracy. dude has been putting up near borderline triple doubles. it's all about attacking instead of jacking up the 3s for rafer.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Tracy is my favorite player but one thing I notice about him(And i'm always yelling at the tv) is that he refuses to cut. He passes the ball and stands behind the 3, 7 out of 10 times.

14. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

Tracy is trying to get Yao involved.......I think Yao does create more on the offensive end than MAc, but YAo is being too passive....especially the last 3 games...T-Mac had no choice but to try to instill some spirit in the club......its not T-MAc' fault the other Rockets are standing around, it is the coaches! The other Rockets are trying to run jujst 2 plays on offense and that is pass it to Yao on the low post or run a pick n roll with Yao.....When Yao is not being aggressive on the low block...the Rockets run the second option and therefore confusion lies

15. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I dont know why all these complains. We had 4 players in double figures in the last game and we won the game. The only player that didnt do well his role was Yao. it s not like T-Mac didnt pass him the ball. They passed him the ball and he did turnovers and missed shots. Players like Kobe, T-Mac , Lebron cant just stand in the corner like Battier and Bowen.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The team is struggling a bit with chemistry since Tmac has come back, BUT they are winning while they learn.

I see some good signs, Tmac coming off of curls for a jumper, and Tmac actually LED a break and passed to a streaking Alston for a layup.

A lot of the chemistry issues would simply go away if Tmac ran and cut after passing.....he is getting there and the team is too.

DD

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

When T-Mac is out, our role players feel the need to step up so they play more aggressive. With T-Mac, it seems like the role players feel they don't have try as hard since the Mac is back. It's like T-Mac takes the pressure off of them and they play more relaxed, almost too relaxed. But we are winning. Also, the most important thing is that now we are closing out games.

18. mbiker

mbiker Member

Tracy is trying to get the ball to Yao, but in the wrong way. Tracy is slowing the game down, which allows the defense to swarm over Yao. Yao then has to revert to the old JVG style where he is fighting for every possession, which eventually wears him out. The motion offense was supposed to fix this problem. As strange as it may seem, Yao fits perfectly with the motion offense, at least a low post version of it.

The reason that the other players are standing around is because Tracy is playing a Pick 'n Roll offense, that only involves one or two other players. The other players are just sitting back with proper spacing so that the play can be executed properly.

Even though the Rockets are winning, this is not the type of offense that Rick Adelman wants, and unless Tracy starts to adapt, it will be very tough to win anything in the playoffs.

19. superx

superx Member

You can't solve everything at the same time,we are in progress,at least we keep winning.

20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Member

23-25 assists on 35-40 baskets

4-5 players in double figures each night

T-Mac not "doing his own thing"

Contributions from multiple players not named T-Mac or Yao

Its not great, but its looking a lot better. And its definately not last years offense, even if PnR and Yao in the post are big parts of it.