1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!
  1. the-a-train

the-a-train Member

Demarr Johnson, WHY NOT? Cuttino wont lose PT. the guy is 6'9, and would prob share minutes with shandon. in mins where cuttino sits out, bring him in there too. this guy will be REALLYgood. it would be a shock if cat left for this reason. i mean him and stevie are like... dont need to get into that. anyway stevie really likes demarr also. and if we can go after webber next year, NICE. i used to be really high on moiso, but that was because i thought that demarr would be gone. I think OLUMNIDE would also be nice here. Just thought id air out my opinions on the draft.

------------------
    Chugga, Chugga, Chugga, WOO WOO!!!!

2. alaskansnowman

(sigh)...

Cuttino might lose some PT becuz the only way that Cat will get 30 or 35 minutes a game is by Shandon playin the small forward part of the time. So, that means Shandon and Walt will be playing the 3, and Shandon and Cuttino will be playing the 2. Where will Dermarr get his minutes? He has to get at least 25 or so minutes a game becuz, if this guy is so good, then he has to develop. The ideal thing to do would be to just forget about Walt and give his minutes to Dermarr, but since he played well last year, I dont wanna do that. So, the only thing left to do is to trade Walter... which I wouldnt mind doing if we got Dermaa.

ON Olumnide, I like him also. With a name like that, how can u resist right?

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Players can indeed develop in practice. Kobe got less than 20 MPG his rookie year. His minutes will be taken from Walt, Bryce, and Moochie.

Walt very well could be traded for a PF.

It is highly unlikely Dermarr would cause a significant decrease in Cuttino's minutes.

"Walt played well last year" HE PLAYED WELL THE LAST 20 FREAKING GAMES!

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.

Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

4. the-a-train

the-a-train Member

i know that you have to get rid of wiz snowman. but just as u said, wiz played good last year- therefore- although hes not 7FT, he still has trade value. hey i have to agree that OLUMNIDE is an unresistable name, and who was it that mentioned it in another post?

------------------

5. alaskansnowman

Even if Walter did play well the last 20 games, the streak can continue. He just had a really tough season last year, but he pulled through, got used to our offense, and got used to everyone else towards the end.

------------------

6. ulysses

ulysses Member

alaskansnowman has a good point. But at the same time, we should go with whoever is the best fit for the team. Demarr Johnson, (DJ) is from DC and knows Franny. For me team chemistry is paramount. So what if we're splitting a lot of time? So what if Wizard plays 10 min a game at PF? Remember, Chicago did a lot of unorthadox things in six championships. They relied on a guard instead of a big man-- they didn't even have a big man (worm aside).

------------------
    G

7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

Olumnide is a dam good project player but I have feeling that the Rockets chance the big man pick in the 2nd round just based of the 2,3,4 players that will still be roaming around @ 9.

If the Rocks land DerMarr @ 9 & keep the Cat, I think it would be a good off season no matter who they land in the Market?

------------------

8. BobbyWarren

BobbyWarren Member

I'm beginning to believe more and more that we could be better off drafting a utility player (DerMarr Johnson) to fill in places at SF (mostly) and SG, and then package Walt Williams in a trade for a big man. I see a couple of big advantages to this:

1) AGE. We trade Walt while he's still in his prime. At 30 now, he won't be useful when this team is really getting going in a couple of years.

2) NEED. DerMarr will be able to fill any kind of SF need we filled with Walt Williams while it gives us an opportunity to fill a hole at the PF spot through a trade (Kenny is not your answer folks - backup, yes. Starter, no.)

3) CAP ROOM. Walt's salary blows up to approx. 6.35 mil in 2001/02. Our best opportunity to work our cap room for free agency will be after this upcoming season (IMHO).

------------------

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

How about this trade?

Walt + #9 for Lorenzen Wright + #6?
    Use #6 to get Johnson.

Rockets Line-up:
    SF: Johnson/Rogers
    PF: Wright/Thomas
    C: Cato/Olajuwon
    PG: Francis/Norris
    SG: Anderson/Mobley

Wright is a good rebounder and can play center as well as PF. He's still young since he came out after his sophmore year. (turns 25 in November).

The Hawks have Alan Henderson at the 4 and barely played Wright last year. They are an older team built around Mutombo and Jackson so they want to win ASAP. Walt gives them a veteran at the 3-spot. With the #9 pick they can get Mike Miller or Courtney Alexander as a young back-up to WW or JJ.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How about (dare I say it) cutting down Moochie's playing time. I mean Cuttino is pretty effective at pg. Francis, Shandon, and Dermarr starting. Mobes can substitute for Francis and Shandon. Walt can substitue for Demarr. Sorry MoochieNorrisFanClub

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!

11. the-a-train

the-a-train Member

<marquee><h3>oooo, i can make it move too! u know who u are.</h3></marquee>
    PG: Francis X 30 Minutes ... Moochie X 12 minutes ...Mobes X 6 Minutes

SG: DerMarr X 9 ... Shandon X 18 ... Mobes 15 ... Francis 6

SF: DerMarr X 15 ... Walt X 15 ... Shandon X 12 ... Mobes ... 6 Bullard,Carlos X 6

PF: KT X 20 ... Carlos X 10 ... Bull 4 ... Cato X 6 ... ??? X 8 why not insert a lil dermarr here. he is 6'9 or insert other draft pick or watever just food for thought

C: Cato X ... 20 ... Hakeem X 20 ... Washington/Pig/Whatever ... 8

ok im altering oelpiere's a little, his was pretty good.
    <marquee><h3> see there is room for MOOCHIE!!!</h3></marquee>

------------------

[This message has been edited by the-a-train (edited June 25, 2000).]

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

<marquee><h3>MOOCHIE</h3></marquee>

------------------

13. alaskansnowman

Mobley has to play mo than 27 minutes Gay-train.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But I do agree with Moochie staying and playing here.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited June 25, 2000).]

14. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

If you think a guy playing 12 MPG will be of that importance, have fun. [​IMG]

------------------

Draft Moiso. Trade Moises.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited June 25, 2000).]

15. the-a-train

the-a-train Member

hey i told u there was room for improvement. but move a few mins here and there, then u have franchize with more mins, and moochie with maybe 9 or so. drop some of kts mins also. itll work. im not perfect, even if u are NIKESTRAD.

------------------

16. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

wow. I have just been called perfect.

For more feedback, you also have Carlos Rogers playing more than Walt.

------------------

Draft Moiso. Trade Moises.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

As we all saw as Mobley's minutes decreased his stats were higher.. I still believe cat is a 6th man.... I do believe though that we should trade the wizard. The wizard was alright the last few games but if Steve francis asks for Demarr Johnson Let's get demarr johnson. I believe STevie wonder can see something and knows something about Demarr that we don't.... If that is true then that probably means there is chemistry as well.... and the better the reaction the faster we will rebuild....

------------------
    TycoonChip

18. the-a-train

the-a-train Member

i did that on purpose. walt really has a diminishing role on this young team. although i want him to succeed, i dont know if it'll happen. i do howeva see CROG makin big contributions. so there! :0

------------------

19. the-a-train

the-a-train Member

ok 03, thats completely unacceptable. u do not bench moochie norris. u get rid of bryce drew, his shooting has trade value im sure, and plus hes a hard worker,but dont bench moochie. rite now all moochie needs is 10-15 mins at the 1 and 2. CAT has plenty of time at the 2/3, even with demarr, just ask oelpeire. shandon has time to. They just need to learn to spread out the time effectively. This will be a young exciting team. this year we rebuild with an exciting draft, and get young. Next year, with DREAM gone, can u say cap room?
    BENCHING MOOOOCHIEis not the answer.

------------------

20. playahata

playahata Member

I really see no other logical choices. Besides Martin, Swift, and Fizer. It's really down to Moiso and DJ. I say the Gizzard is gone (even though I really began to like him in the second half) If we draft Dermarr he's gotta be the 3, along with Shandon. I just don't see anyone else at the 4 that I want besides Moiso. He's tall, long, athletic, and can shoot from the perimeter. We need length , because I think Cato will come along and we will requre another long starter.

------------------