1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not Mihm? Why not us?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by CB4ever, Jul 12, 2000.

1. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

I know the shaft.. oh, I mean the draft was a while ago, but this has been keeping me up nights. Well, not really, but I was curious to see if anyone had similar thoughts.

Bottom line: Why couldn't WE have traded for Mihm?

After the trade was announced, Tim Floyd sat and told TNT guy that they were ready to take Crawford at 7 when the Cavs called and offered $$. The Jerrys said, "Sure! Our fat a$$e$ could use some more saasage and beeerz... and Oh! we'd have to pay pick#8 < pick#7. Saasage and beeerz for everyone!! Hah, gotcha, just more for us... unless TMac wants some... TMac, you want some?... C'mon, it's good saasage..."

The point? I think the Rox "parachute" deployed a little early... i.e. when Miles (pipe dream), DM, and Miller (who Langhi TORCHED mano y mano last year) were gone. Rudy and CD bailed and trusted 7 foot stiff/shooter guy ('he can be our Sam Perkins') to help them land safely. And while I have nothing against Sam Perkins (hey...didn't he sink the Rox with the Lake Show? The Sonics?!? Whenever he touched the ball in the finals, didn't I spit out whatever was in my mouth and say 'I hate that guy' Sorry, it's just a reflex now.)Personally, I would have liked to look up and see Burnt Orange guiding me to safety. At least get a DECENT 7 foot stiff/shooter guy.

Why Mihm and not Collier + Milwaukee #1 + saasage & beerz?
    I guess that's a valid question...no, really it isn't.

"Get 'em," the scenario: Fat b*stard, I mean Jerry #1, picks up the phone while he's up at pick #7. "Hello? CD? Hi... what? yeah Cleveland just called, they're gonna give us saasa... I mean $$ and pick Crawford for us... what? you'll give us ALL THE SAASAGE AND BEERZ WE WANT? Mihm is yours." CD hangs up, gives the war room a thumbs up - Rudy, "Yesss, we got the best 7 foot stiff shootin' Texan in the draft." Les, "Yesss, suckers... I import saasage and beerz."

Why it coulda gone down:
    1) SOMEONE knew the Bulls didn't want Mihm... according to Floyd, Cleveland called them. The Rockets should have known, too - or else they should have called as Mihm fell. Apparently we had our eye on stiff shootin' 7 footers, so being surprised as the trade was announced (as I was) is unacceptable.

2) If we did outbid Cleveland, no way do they pull a Chicago and take Crawford out of spite (Miller/Knight). I know a few Ohio(ians?).. nice people.. they'd just look at their frontcourt wish list, cross off Mihm and take Osterbilla or Tsak.. Big 'I'm ready for Shaq' Jake.

Given that Mihm was obtainable, maybe Rudy was one of his critics ('soft' 'not athletic enough') and that's fine... but then he went and got a low-budget version of same. Ok, for the Aggies and those of you that think all "Olympic caliber swimmer" 5's play like Duncan, I'll comparison shop.

Collier 7 ft, shoots - ie draws out big men, may be decent on the boards; however, is working to not be a defensive liability and in game play looks like he is trying waaay too hard to get whatever he gets. Bottom line: his ceiling is a key 8th man (a key 8th man?) on a contender, but all the tire drills in the world won't catch him up to Francis. Mihm can't run with Franchise either but read ahead.

Mihm 7 ft, shoots, decent on the glass; however, he is an acceptable defender NOW, and could develop into something defensively that Collier can only dream about... above average. His post game is light years ahead of Swimmer's go to move - the stumble hook. Just put it this way, would you rather have Mihm or Collier backing down Brian Grant? Ok. Mihm's ceiling is higher - he could eventually start at the 4/5 for a contender with a dynamic, slashing backcourt - hey, that sounds familiar.

For people with the magic 8 balls that say, "The Bucks will be in the lottery and end up with 11, 12 or 13," touche. But when I'm in the market for 7 ft stiff shooters, damn it, I want the best one around.

All that said - coulda, woulda, shoulda - this is my first post, my hair ball of KNOWLEDGE is small. Guide me.

------------------

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

First post? hmmmmmm

The Rockets are not done wheeling and dealing, especially if Mobley goes elswhere. Save your criticisms till after the smoke clears.

------------------
    "When your dead, anything's funny."-John Lennon

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Any of the centers who go in the first round next year will be better than Mihm. We'll have at least 2 picks to get one. Hopefully we can package a couple of our picks, a player, and get either Eddie Curry (Baby Shaq) or Tyson Chandler (Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem type), and still pick up Morris with our mid pick. We made the right decision.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

You can add Woods (7'1",230#,Ariz),UNC's Haywood, & UCLA's Gadzuric to Sherwood's list.

There is one thing Collier can do better than Mihm NOW - excel at the 4 spot. Collier is like Bullard except bigger, taller, younger, quicker and more athletic. The Rocks drafted Collier as a 4 who can give occassional help at the 5 (unlike Bull). Collier and the Bucks pick from next year has more value than Mihm for the #9 and likely Bryce or 'Los or KT.

------------------
    GATER

5. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I am biased, but I think that Mihm will be so much more of a solid player than almost all other posters here. He isn't the franchise player that I would like to have in the post, but he will block more shots than any other rookie and I am going to state now that he gets more boards than Martin and Swift this year. Somebody was saying that what we need is another Otis Thorpe, well imagine OT with shot blocking prowess and that is Chris Mihm.

------------------

6. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Thanks for the replies.

For the record, I agree with Rox "step out big man" philosophy. My point was, I think that they had an opportunity to fill that need in this draft better than they did. I would take Mihm over Collier at both ends of the floor, at the 4 or the 5, in a heartbeat.

Now, if getting Milwaukee's #1 helps us get any version of Shaq, Stilt, or the most prolific scorer of all time, I'll be leading the Collier mambo line. I just think that if there are any Diesel stops in H-town next year, it will be solely on the basis of the Rox (de)merits this coming year. Teams draft potential franchise big men regardless of need - I use potential loosely (Houston takes Dream --> Twin Towers, Portland then takes MJ --> Di Slamma Jama, but no, they take Sam 'the next Unseld' Bowie) If there are any potential 'Top 50 Greatest' C's, they will be taken 1, 2 & 3 until they are gone, I just don't think pick #15-20 will move us up.

I like Rudy's philosophy. I agree that he had to move in the draft to fill that need. I just think they went the wrong way... going straight to their 'parachute' without realizing the value of a better alternative had fallen within reach. In Mihm, the Rox get their step out big man... AND the 2nd shotblocker & solid defensive presence they will (now eventually) need if they want to contend.

I like Collier for what he is - I think he serves a purpose. But we're hoping he grows into a Sam 'I hate that guy' Perkins role, when we could have been hoping for a lot more.

------------------

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

My 2 cents is we did have the best center in the draft and traded him. I don't like Collier and I think he will have alot of problems playing the NBA PF position, because that is now the most dominant position (especially with Duncan staying) in the West. With Duncan, Webber, Karl, & Sheed we need some physical in the paint. I know Collier can drag these guys out of the lane on offense but on defense he will get eaten alive (although most PF get eaten alive by these guys as well).
    My point is Pryz could still potentially grow, he is only 20 (unless he just turned 21 recently) and he played well (before he became ineligible) in the best basketball conference last year.

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CB4-I agree with you on the Mihm part. I'm still not sure why. But, that Milwaukee pick could, and likely will be able to land Ken Johnson, who'll be a 5th year senior at OSU. Last year, the dude lead the nation in shotblocking, 5.33 a game. 6'11'' 230 lb. Probably needs to get a little heavier, but he could still play like Cato did once (Superbowl Sunday) all the time. He has no offense, and his rebounding could be better, but he's athletic, and very intimidating.

GATER-The Bullard comparisons kill me. BULLARD CAN NOT POST UP. COLLIER CAN.

4chuckie-Shame on you for forgetting KG! [​IMG]

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Nike-
    Oops I did forget one! Does KG line up most of the time at PF, I know he still gets a few minutes at the SF but I wasn't sure where the majority of his minutes came from.

Ken Johnson is a defensive & shot blocking stud. I am in Ohio and he could be a good one if he does get heavier and if he can learn when to try to block a shot. Like many shot blockers he tries to block every shot which leads to some easy rebounding opportunites & foul trouble. On his plus side is great potential & he loves to work. He put on 15-20 pounds of muscle last off offseason. He also has a nice little hook shot he used a little last year, but keep in mind he didn't get manyu shots with Scoonie & Redd. I would love to get KJ!

------------------

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the problem with your plan, is that Chicago would not have dealt with Houston. In dealing with the Cavs, they know that Crawford will be there for them and that he is locked as surely as if they picked him themselves. If they trade with the Rockets, they need to trust the Cavs won't take Crawford and leave them stranded with Mihm or Przybilla.

------------------
    http://www.gaffordstudios.cjb.net/

11. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

My reasoning was stuck somewhere in the original post, here's the jist -

The Cavs would have been skinned alive if they had taken Crawford when -

1) They have Triple Double Miller and Stanford Knight at the 1 and

2) Their entire frontcourt consists of Fat... I mean, Shawn "I lost my hops faster than Grandmama" Kemp and Gewvbukwdfbv (sorry, that's Ilgauskas, I must have had a finger spasm) who might be better hurt than on the floor.

Reports out of Cleveland were that they "stole" Mihm - they were ready to take Osterbilla (who, coincidentally was "stolen" from us). To paraphrase Karl, "I was shocked we had to give up so little to get Osterbilla". Ouch, kick us while we're down.

Hey, maybe Collier is the key to our offseason, secretly coveted by NBA teams who will insist he be part of any deal... that just doesn't seem likely to me, but I could be wrong. Just ask yourself this one last question - would you have given the Rox a higher grade if they'd gotten Mihm?(call C- the average) I would've... and the identical quotes from postdraft conference about 'getting our step out big man', 'creating space' & 'opening lanes'? I would've been like "YEAH RUDY! You stole him! You're a f&%*&%* genius! We're going to the dance! I'm king of the world!" (Hey everyone overreacts on draft night, right? =) I guarantee you, the words "Collier?" and "parachute" would have never been uttered.

Ok, Mihm is out of my system, I don't want anyone starting to think I look at him as anything more than a good player and a better fit for us.

Personally I think 'Dirk' Langhi will be the steal of our draft by the end of the season. Trading for him was the highlight of our draft for me.

------------------

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

As a former Buckeye and now a Texan, I would be pleased if Ken Johnson developed into a solid Rockets prospect. Kudos for his work ethic, but one downside - according to the stats Osterbilla ate his lunch in their only meeting last season.

Love the 'Horns, but can't see how Mihm will out 'bound Martin AND Swift when he couldn't handle Fizer in the Big 12. Or LSU in the Tourney.

No one would currently draft Sabonis over Shaq, but his presence and ability to draw Shaq out of the paint more than made up for his liabilities on D. Collier will be a pleasant surprise and next years pick from the Bucks will seal the deal. Collier will get help when posted, but he will be all alone when spotting up or will have drawn the opposing PF out with him! It's a game of matchups.

If you give the Rocks a "D" this year, will you get out your grade book and change the score if they draft Eddie Curry or Loren Woods next year with Milwaukee's pick?

------------------
    GATER

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Gater-
    Yeah Pryz did tear KF up, here was the line:
    Pryz 15 Pts 14 Rbs 7 Blks
    KJ 5 Pts 6 Rbs 7 Blks

But keep in mind Pryz was the key player on Minnesota's team & KJ was really the 4th option on offense (Redd, Penn, Reese). I really expect KJ to have a big year this year (I would hope for him to have a break out offensive year like Kenyon in his last year but KJ doesn't have the range of Martin). I would really expect KJ to average 14-15 pts, 8-9 rbs and 5 blks.

Also the Mil. pick may be our only additional pick next year. I don't believe any other picks have to be given to us next year and if the draft is as great as claimed we more than likely won't be given any picks next year. Also I think we definetely owe 1 pick next year, so we may only have 1 pick next year with additional picks coming in following years.

------------------