1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why isn't Philly bidding on Bledsoe and Monroe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 26, 2014.

1. basketballholic

I'm not understanding why Philly hasn't thrown max contracts at either or both of restricted free agents Eric Bledsoe/Greg Monroe.

1. They have to pay somebody.

2. They have nothing to lose.

3. If PHX or DET doesn't match, Philly can flip those guys to the team of their choosing for assets.

4. Worst case scenario is DET and/or PHX match. Philly loses absolutely nothing.

5. If DET or PHX matches, they are forced to either trade those guys later to the team they want to play for that will give them the big 5-year max deal if they want it, or will give them a 2-year deal that they can opt out of ala Lebron so they can take advantage of a possible salary cap windfall. or DET and PHX gotta negotiate a long-term 5-year or 2-year deal with opt out and give those players the money they want...or watch them walk away after 1 year in which they had to pay them a max salary anyways.

I don't know why Philly doesn't see the opportunity here. And I don't know why Monroe's and Bledsoe's agents don't see the opportunity here. They can force DET and PHX to either trade their guy or to have to come up with the big time money after paying them max money for next year.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

Aren't they still in tanking mode? If they sign Bledsoe or Monroe and PHX and DET don't match, then they will win more games than they would like to.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They are trying to lose games.

4. showa13

showa13 Member

Monroe and Bledsoe IMO would make Philly a playoff contender in what has become an even weaker eastern conference, but philly has no interest in winning games next year so I doubt that they make a run at anyone who would change that

5. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Why would they need Monroe or Bledsoe? They have Noel and embiid. They have mcw at the point.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah, they don't need either. Why pay max for players that play a position already filled by good players on cheap deals? They would be signing them just to worry about trading them for good value. Why gamble like that on a max deal?

7. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Probably waiting for a home run move, Bledsoe and Monroe aren't home run moves.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Teams with that thought usually stay losing.

9. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Rebuild through the draft.

10. mazinger

mazinger Member

They're not ready yet. One more year of tanking and then they'll start adding veteran players.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They obviously are preferring to go with a model where they get 3 or 4 cornerstone type prospects they can get on rookie contracts.

I'm assuming Hinkie will want the opportunity to manage their financials better to make sure they don't lose the players they want to keep, and have to keep the players they want to lose 2 or 3 years down the road.

Just my best guess... along with the fact that Hinkie might not view either player as an all-star & could view them as overpaid in a 2 or 3 years if offered a huge salary.

Also, Morey and Hinkie have both mention the salary floor penalties as being severely overblown, and Hinkie can always do "Granger-Like" deals later on in the year to get their salaries up with short term flexibility & get more assets.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Might be ex-Rocket homerism, but I think Hinkie is smarter than that.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is. I think the Rockets miss Hinkie's valuable input.

14. basketballholic

I'm not saying for Philly to acquire Bledsoe or Monroe to compete and win games. I'm saying for Philly to make the offer to acquire Bledsoe and Monroe as a means to get more young assets...to flip. They can keep them 6 weeks into the season and trade them to somewhere that will give them another youngster and/or draft pick. It's a means of acquiring an asset. In fact, they could be working behind the scenes to lock down the trade weeks in advance ... even as they are signing the players to offer sheets.

It's all about asset acquisition for Philly.

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I think he was referring to types of teams which max Bledsoe/Monroe in the position Philly is in right now.

16. Pete the Cheat

Makes you wonder if this would have been our course had the Harden trade never happened...

Although at the time I think Les was against tanking and proffered mediocrity

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

I can take this Philly team deep into the playoffs in 2k.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They probably think they can get more waiting for someone to need space to dump something. By the time they can trade them, most teams probably won't have space to take them as a straight dump, and that would also limit the leverage they have in such a deal. There's also you running the risk of an injury and you probably want to limit such downside risk, the way they're doing it, the value they gain is all face value, so the risk premium is significantly lower (especially with someone like Bledsoe), and someone like Bledsoe really could win you 3 or 4 games in 6 weeks. In investor terms, the asset is less liquid and has a chance of default, so while being potentially worth more, it's not worth the risk trade off.

Plus, you'd probably foster some real ill will, not just butthurt media from rfa bidding just to trade people.

#18 Aleron, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  19. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Hinike was taught by Morey....
    "You need to be the one to find the Greg Monroes and Eric Bledsoes, not the one to give them maxes."

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If they are an asset to flip, that means they are on a value contract. If they are on a value contract, Detroit & Phoenix match & keep the asset for themselves.