1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Yao grabbing his shorts in the first quarter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OddsOn, Nov 5, 2004.

1. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A JVG SUCKS, TRADE THE WHOLE TEAM, I WANT RUDY BACK, THE TRADE BACK FIRED THREAD!!!

The thing that troubles me is the fact I keep seeing Yao bending over tuggin on his shorts in the first quarter!!! Whats up with that? I am guessing his conditioning is just that bad. I know he put some work in this past offseason but from what JVG has said in the years under Rudy he didn't do anything to improve his conditioning in the offseason. Del Harris said he was a big fatty when he came for the chinese olympic team and was not in very good shape cardio wise. Until he crosses this chasm it won't matter how much heart or fire he has to win if he can't keep up running the floor the other teams will see his short tuggin as a weakness and exploit it by taking it to him on offense and banging the crap out of him on defense.

In all seriousness.........the PNR with Yao and Tmac is going to be deadly. We ran several of those in the first game against Detroit and the defense converged on Tmac leaving Yao wide open for a 12-15 foot jump shot. Unfortunately he missed most of them but none the less he was wide open. This was true for a lot of our shots in the first two games, wide open looks but just short of the iron (probably attributed to tired legs). Our offense will come around and I really don't have concerns with that part of the game.....but the defense and Yao's seeming lack of stamina is a concern to me. Yao should be running the Toyata Center stairs after the games like Larry Bird used to if he is that out of shape.

2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

alot of players do.

its just harder to miss your 7'6" franchise player doing it.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I think it has to do more with him playing year round bball. I mean theres only so much his body can take... I hope he works somthing out w/ the Chinese National team so he can get some time OFF in the OFFseason. (Notice the word OFF, but he is allways ON)

4. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I don't think we'll ever know it feels to be 7'6" 310lbs,or if its truely a stamina problem or just a habit. I used to do it when i wasn't really fatigued.. but then i'm only 6'2"

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe he needs some room for his package.

Or ....nah, he couldn't....but maybe....Is Yao going Commando?

;)

DD

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Because he has to run from sideline to sideline setting at least 3 screens, every possession.

7. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Because he was tired???
    He felt that his shorts didn't look long enough?
    Wanted to show everyone behind him what his butt looked like?
    He thought he saw mugsy bogues and wanted to say hi?

:D

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the shorts are made in sweat shops in China. Its just showing them he's got love for those kids in that village.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

If you didn't notice, the Toronto game was pretty fastpaced early on. Both teams were getting up and down the court and shooting pretty quickly. So he was winded.

In the Detroit game, i didn't see him grab his shorts one time. So it is definately because of the pace of the game.

10. Summer Song Giver

How many more times are we going to keep asking this question when the answer is the same as it has ever been and will always be?

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Seriously...Everyone knows Yao just loves the feel of his shorts. They are so smooth and soft. Kids at the sweatshops don't make it like that anymore. ;)

12. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Thats wrong on so many levels.........lol

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

You guys need to chill out about Yao's shorts...at least he's not sporting some of those Stockton Nutters!

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think that's bascially it. plus his stamina and condtioning is always a hot topic so you focus in on it even more. i think his conditioning is fine, but right now he looks so uncomfortable out there and his shot is not falling right now. he gets that back and starts to gel with t-mac and co i think his stamina won't be an issue.

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

If he was he'd fall over cuz he'd have nothing to grab onto. LOL

16. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

You really pay attention to details, don't you?
    :p

17. MC Welk

MC Welk Member

ancient Chinese secret

18. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

I bet you were grabbing your "short" while typing with your other hand. :p