1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is there no CAT talk?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HeyDude, Jul 8, 2005.

1. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I'm just wondering why in the world are we not hearing anything on Cuttino? He opted out last week, and reports are he probably won't be making more than mid level money.........and he lives in Houston, his family's in Houston, people who've bumped into him from this BBS have said he wouldnt mind coming back...........

But we keep hearing reports on Bobby Simmons, who is good, but plays small forward, which will require TMAC to move back to the 2......we've heard things on Finley, Buckner, etc. but nothing on Cuttino Mobley? We are in the market for a 2 guard right? We can't be serious about starting Wesley at he 2 guard next year if we wanna win in the West......and by win I mean 55 games plus a good playoff run.......many teams can win 50 in the west, but thats nothing in the West......and look at the 2 guards Wesley would be goin against: Kobe, R. Allen, J. Johnson, Ginobli, Stackhouse, all who play for solid teams, who we'll have to go past....... Cat has the rep on shutting down, or at least slowing down many of these guys, he did it his last year here.........

And lets see, Rockets needs after losing by 40 to the Mavs, including blowing 2 pretty big leads in games 3 and 4: A young, athletic, scorer, 2 guard, can hit the 3, can play awesome D, and most important, can create his own shot to take pressure off TMAC............lets see who fits all these while still affordable???

Why not spend the Mid level on him, or try a sign and trade for him? then either sign and trade for a PF or use the MLE for one........someone like Haslem (Miami drafted Simien and looks to save money for Wade), or R. Evans?? or D. Marshall? they would come cheaper, much cheaper than Swift, Walker, Rahim, etc..........do we really need to spend 40 mil on a PF this year? are there any worth it this year??? Considering we already have Howard, who is NOT a piece of crap, and can play solid minites still, and we already have 2 all stars in our front court, and have no one in our back court.......

Cat and Haslem, or Cat and Evans, and I think we can take our chances with <b>anyone </b>....... :cool:

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think cat will still get more than mid-level considering all of the bloated contracts these dayz. plus, we need a 4 more.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

There's been a lot of talke about Cat, actually. Not a lot of threads, but there's definitely been discussion.

I don't think he wants to come here, personally. I'm sure he's still more than a little bit hurt that the Rockets didn't show him the loyalty that he showed them. He even said so much when he was with Orlando, and before his first game back here as a King.

I'd like to have him back though.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The Heat are bound and determined to keep Haslem, and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported today that he expects to stay.

Denver Post and Rocky Mt Times are making it known that Cat wants a raise and isn't considering the MLE (yet). He wants his contract to start with a salary higher than what he was scheduled to make (a little under $7 mill)

I don't know if McGrady playing the 2 or 3 makes a world of difference. Simmons is listed as a 6-6 G-F, so I don't think we'd have a position problem. We'd have two swingmen that offer JVG flexibility in matchups. Simmons can guard either position, while Cat is fairly relegated to 2s.

It's a tough market for us right now, with every team in the league having at least as much money to offer. It'll all come down to who simply wants to be here because of the team itself. Or plan B - trades with all of our expiring contracts.

Evan

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I'm sorry, i meant there's no talk from the Rockets about the Cat, i know he's been talked about here on the BBs ;)

6. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Because Cat doesnt and never has bought into a team concept. Watching the rox play last year, was a breathe of fresh air. Almost no waiving off people to dribble the ball away to the last seconds and force up some wildly stupid shot. THAT is what Mobley is about. Every possesion. He takes some of the worst shots Ive ever seen (outside of Iverson) and his reward is very low. He does one thing well and thats shoot alot of shots and can hit the three. His one on one D is ok, at best, and his rotations were sloppy half assed attempts. He rarely fed the post, and does NOT make his team mates better.

7. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

id love to hear ur scouting on a mike james then...not saying i dont like the guy but from what u just posted, mike james is no better.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That's BS. Cat was one of the first to settle down last year on a team full of players that was used to the relaxed coaching of Rudy T. He was the best one on one defender we had...do you not remember him guarding Kobe in the playoff series?

You're remembering the Cat of early in his career...he still does force some shots but he's more under control now (at least he was with us last year).

I've said many times now that Mobley is exactly what we need at SG. Great defender...he can guard the other teams best perimeter player. Good scorer that can hit the three and go to the basket...both which we really need. And he can run the floor better than anyone we have now besides Mcgrady.

If we could somehow get Swift to take the MLE (unlikely I know), or find another serviceable PF for the MLE (D.Marshall,B.Grant, Songalia), I wouldn't doing a sign and trade for Cuttino so that he can get his $7 million per year. Wesley, a draft pick, and expiring contracts could work if we're lucky. The problem is that Cuttino has just seen Michael Redd, Larry Hughes, and maybe Joe Johnson all get severely overpaid. You know he has to be lickin' his chops right now. I actually think that getting a SG is just as important as finding a PF, if not more. I think we'll be okay with Howard and a cheap, serviceable backup at PF. We must take care of our backcourt weaknesses though...I don't want to depend on Luther Head all season to overcome our weaknesses.

The whole point is to get a SG/SF that is a decent scorer, athletic, and most of all a good defender to take some pressure off of Mcgrady. It really doesn't matter what position Mcgrady is at as long as the other guy can take the other teams best scorer (Kobe, Ginobili, etc) some of the time. That was the whole reason Jim Jackson was traded...position really doesn't have much to do with it, so Simmons would be fine.

9. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

I think he'll end up in Denver or Utah..Thats where most of the rumors are circulating as far as CAT signing.

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Please not Utah!!!!!!!!1

I don't want to see one of my favorite players become one of my most hated :(

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I'm in a minority...I'll get bashed...I don't care.

The SAC Kings run a motion offense, are a good transition O basketball team, and put up more the the league avg in FGA's. When Kenny (a.k.a. "The Black Hole") Thomas has more assists than a teammate...I question what the teammate is doing with the ball.

Mobley would only interest me after the PF situation is resolved and definitely for not much more than the MLE. Simmons is by far the better choice.

12. New Jack

New Jack Member

Doesn't a motion offense make it more likely that a big man averages just as many assists as a guard. Seems like every time a big man goes to Sacramento (Divac, Webber, KT, Miller), their assists numbers make significant increases. While guards have their assists numbers go significantly down. Bibby used to average over 8 assists a game in Vancouver. In Sacramento, he usually averages only 5 assists a game.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Rumors last year had Kings players wanting him gone. IIRC, he was waving off Bibby and bringing up the ball himself. We already have one guy like that -- we don't need another.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

First off, I like Mobley. He plays hard all the time and never really complains. He is a streaky shooter, but has a good shot. He isn't the best defender out there, but he gives his all on both ends.

That being said, he has an incredibly low basketball IQ. As a Rocket, he played too much one on one (even with JVG coaching) and shot us out of games at times. He just isn't that bright on the court...a lot like Stevie.

However, Sac getting him for Christie was the steal of last season. What a terrible trade for Orlando!

15. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Cat would want, at the very least, our full MLE. And since we didn't draft a PF, we need the entire MLE to sign a 4. My off-season fantasy was drafting Hakim Warrick and signing Cat, but that ain't gonna happen.

16. Murfdogg21

Murfdogg21 Member

He never met a shot he didn't like. This team doesn't need that. We need a hustling power forward, end of discussion.

17. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here's a little quote from real gm :

http://www.realgm.com/src_fromthera...g_the_third_season_of_the_western_conference/

Handicapping The Third Season Of The Western Conference
    Authored by Christopher Reina - 6th July, 2005 - 5:14 pm

"With Cuttino Mobley opting out, his days in Sacramento may be over and they deserve to be over. He was a bad fit in Sacramento from day one. Ronald “Flip” Murray is one of the players that will slip through the free agency cracks and land in Sacramento."

This supports what GATER said.

Cuttino's best option is Denver, if they don't lock up Simmons, Cat is plan B there. He's not really a good fit here. When you think back to the winning streak, you could see Van Gundy installed a passing attack with his new players, with multiple cuts and post feeds and kicks. Not really Cat's game. The quote above contrasts him with Flip Murry. Murry had played the point with good numbers before when Seattle was injury-stricken, moving the ball back and forth to R. Lewis and A.D. and B.B., and getting his own shots in the flow return. That's probably why a Sacremento might go for a player like him over the slightly bigger, better bombing Cat, and probably why JVG will go for a different skill set, too.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No doubt the motion offense "levels" the playing field for assist opportunities. But even Christie (who you could probably slack off of defensively) managed 4.9 this season for the Kings. Cuttino came in at 2.8.

It could be debated from now until Mobley signs a contract but anyone who enjoys watching the Kings' offense (which I do) didn't enjoy it nearly as much after they traded for Cuttino. If you're looking for ball movement, don't look there.

#18 GATER, Jul 8, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The thing is... We don't run a Princeton-type offense. There's very little cutting (though I would like to see more backdoor cuts, it probably ain't happening), and really T-Mac's the only guy who moves all that much without the ball. Most of the other guys just shuffle around the perimeter.

I think Cat would fit the offense nicely. He could spot up for 3's all day, and unlike Wesley and Barry, he can actually attack the rim and finish. The only question, in my mind, is whether or not he can make the extra pass. I think he can.

Plus, I've always thought he was an underrated defender. Again, I don't think he'll come here, but I'd be thrilled if he did.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I absolutely don't want Cat back. Stupid players will always find a way to drag your team down. We don't need Cat's boneheaded plays at the end of important games.

For a guard, I'd much rather get AD.