1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why is former Rocket Brent Barry such a Rocket hater?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 12, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Brent actually was decent last night...sure he isnt going to be a slurp-er of all things Houston...But he gave the right amount of credit and acknowledgement for James and the Rockets last night. I thought he did a good job...To bad his voice is as monotone as you can get.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he was a little b**** about his former team the first 3.5 quarters. then when harden **** all over his commentary he was forced to swiftly change his tune. my guess is the san antonio sperms tainted blood still flows hard through his veins

3. cdrive

cdrive Member

Brent said some stuff last night that T'd me off:

First and foremost, he used a metaphor / analogy to describe Harden's defensive improvement from last year to this year by saying "When you talk about if Harden has improved on defense this year from last, it's like saying whose fries are healthier: McDonald's or Burger King?" Then he had a smug chuckle, pleased with himself.

He continued to marginalize Harden's defensive about-face by saying it looks like he's improved only because the pendulum swung so far in the horrible direction and couldn't swing much further.

I was thinking "Really Brent? Catch the f*** up dude." If you get paid fat broadcaster salary to know a thing or two about the NBA, especially the top 3 MVP candidates this year, then try knowing a thing or two.

Oh and then with the double T, he couldn't understand how Gay did anything wrong. He thought he just "shed off Beverley" Ugh no, he shed off Beverley, then put his hand back onto Bev's upper back/ neck and shoved Beverley to the ground.

#23 cdrive, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the Barrys in general tend to be kind of negative about most everything but GSW basketball.

Rick Barry comes on the radio once in a while out here and he has the worst "get off my lawn" schtick you've ever heard. So I'm sure those negativity genes are dominant, not recessive, so his kids will be showing more and more signs of bitter old man syndrome.

But I think it's more pro-Warriors (dad's greatest years) than anti-Rockets in this case.

5. jerrios

jerrios Member

I think the part that really annoyed me was when he was talking about the pendulum swing so far one way....

Then there was one play where Harden helped on a double team and left his man wide open, which really someone should have rotated over.

BB pointed out that play immediately and said basically, see there, he's still not good on defense. For the whole game, Harden was playing well on D, then he just finds one play, where I didn't even consider it was his fault, to make a statement.

6. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

It's cause houston is the Barry graveyard. Rick, jon, and Brent all ended their careers in houston. Also Brent was frustrated that T-Mac never played to his potential

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I honestly have never heard Brent even mention the Spurs anywhere after the...you know...incident with his wife, haha

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

a lot better than Reggie Miller

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

jejejejejeje :grin:

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Never noticed Brent hating. Now Jon...he's a jackass.

11. cdrive

cdrive Member

Ha. Off topic, but I lost all respect for Parker after that. How are you going to go mess with someone else's house like that. And especially a friend and teammate. AND ESPECIALLY when you have Eva Longoria. I'd like to go on record that Eva Longoria is a fine, fine woman.

12. photojoe

photojoe Member

Haven't seen too many games by Barry, but I thought last night he was pretty fair. Gave praise to Harden when it was due (how could anyone not with the game he played last night?)

Some of the criticisms of Harden I thought were fair too. Harden is a much, much, much better defender this year, but he still has lapses. On one play in particular that I remember, Harden got way out of position which led to a wide open 3. Barry said something along the lines of "Harden has been playing better defense, but not on that play"

13. conquistador#11

lex owes him a 1,000 dollars?

14. FeaR

FeaR Member

What player doesn't have lapses ? I am just curious because i hear it a lot nowdays.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

It takes time to change people's minds over a well-publicized and well-earned reputation, especially with members of national media who don't watch every Houston game. Barry will eventually come around if Harden keeps up the work. He sounded plenty impressed with HOU's effort by the end of the night.

16. Amel

Amel Member

I agree, he is fair, not a hater IMO

17. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

HUGE fan of Bones. I like his analysis of the game a lot and is usually very complimentary towards the Rockets.

Now Jon, on the other hand... Jon can go **** himself

18. thiefery

thiefery Member

A few years age he was a huge rockets supporter. I remember him quoting Morey from Twitter on scola's godlike performance in the fiba championships... Then the other two anchors or whatever on NBA TV were quick to tell him that wasn't cool to use that term and then went to a commercial break...
    He always seemed to like those teams then, and knew for the most part what he was talking about. Sometimes I feel that us fans get really defensive when we hear something we don't like. I just look at scoreboard and our record..

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I thought Barry was good last night. He and Kevin Harlan actually said some things that people watching at home haven't heard from the National Media. I think they continually hit home some points that us fans here at ClutchFans have been echoing in the forums.

They said that the team was severely undermanned. They kept asking how Mchale was doing it with so few players. Barry did make fun of Harden's D but he did say he had improved. He made sure he showed DMO so love even though no one outside of Houston knows how well he has done in Dwight's absence.

The only thing I thought was weird is they sounded really tired. Harden scored 13 straight points including a game tying 3 in regulation, first 7 points in OT, but Harlan sounded pretty subdued. I mean he is easily excitable and he wasn't really moved by what he was seeing.

20. photojoe

photojoe Member

Every player has lapses. Not every player is treated the same by the media when it happens.