1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why can't Houston Rockets sign a key free agent?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Feb 7, 2011.

?

Do you agree with Bill Ingram?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. No

98 vote(s)
    59.8%
  1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Finding an interesting discussion regarding the reason why Houston Rockets can't sign a key free agent. Do you agree with Bill Ingram?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1427

Rockets94 in Minneapolis:
    There are cracks showing in Morey's style.The Brooks situation. no back up plan for when Yao inevitably went down. He better pull a rabbit sometime soon. Technocrat style is wearing thin

Bill Ingram:
    The problem with using cold, hard stats and numbers to calculate everything is that players and agents don't like to deal with someone who is all business. Morey will save the team money by using restricted free agency and the threat of matching any offer to keep his players' value low, but the agents won't want their free agents to sign in Houston because of the way they are turned into commodities instead of being treated like people. That's why Houston can't sign a key free agent.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

nobody with a half a brain agrees with Bill Ingram

shoulda made the poll public so we can see who the mental defectives are that voted yes :rolleyes:

#2 Rockets2K, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey has to go.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Perception is reality, sometimes. lol.

Morey seems like an engaging, funny guy, but he is a tough sob to deal with. If I was a player or a player's agent, Morey would not be on top of the list of the people I would want to negotiate a contract with.

See, that is my perception. Is it reality?

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I don't know, I'd imagine the reason the Rockets can't sign a key free agent is because they don't have the money to sign a key free agent.

6. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

LOL Bill Ingram & HoopsWorld.

What free agent have we attempted to sign that this is even a discussion. Bosh?

We've only really gone after Bosh, Ariza and Gortat recently in FA. We got Ariza, and chose not to sign Gortat for the full MLE.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

BILL INGRAM POSTING AN OPINION AGREEING WITH MINE MEANS I GET TO START A NEW THREAD REPEATING WHAT I SAID IN THE THREAD POSTED YESTEREDAY. YEA!

1 person likes this.
  8. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

[​IMG]

9. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

Yeah, we had a line of free agents waiting for their chance to sign in Houston before Morey got here! And all that money we have under the cap, too. Wait a second...

I understand people are frustrated here, but this seems like barking up the wrong tree.

10. ThaShark316_28

lmao @ THAT being why...no one was breaking the door down when Yao/T-Mac were healthy.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Houston can't sign free agents because Houston is not an enticing place to play. It doesnt have the market new york or LA has, and it doesn't have the nightlife Miami has, and it doesn't have the roster Boston has.

We have a couple of great complimentary players and a good coach, but not much else to attract superstar free agents. We are going to have to rebuild from the ground up IMHO. If we can pull off a move for a player like granger, then maybe a stud FA would look at Martin, scola, and granger and think we had a chance to compete, but unless we can aquire another major piece through trade, i dont think we are going to have much luck attracting the guys we want in 2012.

#11 Aruba77, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

FAs want to play for winners because winning is more fun than losing - obvious fact. If a team is on the rise or winning and the FA's position is open then they are all over it with just a little bit of coaxing.

The 2010-11 Rockets team is none of that. We are in a state of flux and signs are pointing to a decline. We lose more than we win. Unless you are a superstar, you may spend too much time on the bench. And if you are a superstar, all the burden will be on your shoulders. Not sure what FA would be too into that even if Morey took him out to dinner with the family twice a week.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The problem with reading Bill Ingram's waffle and dribble is that he just seems to make stuff up and base it on the feeling he got from his cheerios in the morning. Ingram will write a lot of articles and perhaps even make somebody some money by using ridiculous comments to draw attention, but the clever reader won't want to pay too much attention to him because of the way their brain is turned to jelly instead of being treated to some intellectual point. That's why Ingram shouldn't be read.

1 person likes this.
  14. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

The only "key free agent" we've tried to sign since we've lost our franchise players was Bosh. And please don't tell me that not offering AB an extension was what deterred Bosh from coming here. Bosh had no other intention other than to join his homies in South Beach, and that's why we didn't get Bosh.

The Rockets have the financial means to sign key free agents in the first place because of these so called cold-blooded policies. They are also an organization committed to becoming competitive again and winning, which will be a strong draw for free agents once we get a more balanced roster.

The Rockets are a very good organization, and that's the reason our guys want to stay here in the first place. It's why Rudy Gay said in his post-game interview on Saturday that he frequently wonders what it would have been like to be a Houston Rocket.

I am tired of people making excuses for bad behavior from players like T-Mac and now AB, and blaming everything on the Rockets' organization. Maintaining a level of professionalism is a basic requirement for any job, much less a job where your employer is paying you millions.

3 people like this.
  15. moreyball

moreyball Member

didn't we sign stromile and bonzi?

1 person likes this.
  16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Is the fact that Bill Ingram is making this claim supposed to strengthen this argument? Because I figure it would be the latter.

17. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

We've signed Brent Barry and Brad Miller.

no roster spot available.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

spot on wakawakka

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What the !#$% does Bill Ingram know about basketball?

Clutch needs to whip out the ban hammer for poopsworld sriters and articles again.

20. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

So... what money did the Rockets have to sign "key" free agents? When did they have the money?

Bosh was set in 2008 to go to Miami with Lebron and Wade... And the minimal cap room they would have had last offseason went to Martin's contract. And now Lowry and Scola's contract have taken up significant space they have this summer.