1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter still on the team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mgraye2969, Mar 14, 2012.

1. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why we have not cut the two players that were supposed to be released first.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I really don't. It absolutely makes no sense at all.

3. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

It makes me sick to my stomach. I guess with the way things are going they do not want to gut the whole team.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They can cut them later without penalty. Kevin Walter is gonna stay though.

5. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Perhaps they would like to trade them for draft picks? If you cut Jones and Walter now, you only have AJ as 'starting' WR ... so, that doesn't make any sense.

Trading one of them at draft day or before the draft would make more sense, IMO.

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

They have no other WRs... they will get cut. It's not like all their cap problems are solved if they get cut right away. If there is a move to be made, they will be the first to go. Of course, I thought Jacoby would've been the first to go anyway. And thanks for posting their mugshots. I had no idea who you were talking about

7. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

You are very welcome kind sir.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

First of all, they are not cutting Kevin Walter. I believe they have 3 WRs currently on the roster - cut 2, to save cash, and you're essentially using that saved cash to... sign WRs. So there's no benefit to doing it; they're not shaping the roster (that'll be their task this summer) - they're shaving money to get below the mandated cap figure. And they've thus far, rather smartly, cut where they think they have depth to compensate.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Jacoby will be cut this summer. They don't want to go into offseason programs with only 2 guys that know the system. I hope they have the sense to then not re-sign him at the league minimum (that's all he'll command elsewhere) and roll once again with him as the #3.

10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I don't know, but maybe it's because we really don't have any replacements yet.

Since they have started making cuts, I've been feeling real down. Not so much for the players that have been cut, but for looking like we are not improving as a team that can be a Superbowl contender. It seems that we may not sign any of our FA, or any other FA for that matter. I know cap situation has a lot to do with it, but after the first 10 years of waiting for a playoff team only to see this team go backwards (it is looking that way), is making me want to cry (no joke). Hope everything works out for the best.

Real Texan fans have been loyal, and we don't need to go backwards after making the playoffs for the first time. :( :mad:

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Jacoby will get cut hopefully sometime this offseason, depending on how the draft/FA goes, or at the very least after the end of this year.

Kevin Walter isn't going anywhere.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but we have no other backup if he's cut.

13. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Any chance Lestar Jean turns into anything? Looked like he had potential.

14. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I'd take a pair of Jean's over Jacoby and Walter (pun intended). Probably not Walter though

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

I recall reading (or hearing) that cutting Jacoby wouldn't be much of a cap saving move.

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think walter would be a good WR #3, or #4, no need to cut him.

but Jacoby has to go!!!!

17. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Mcnair said they will take a wr in the drat but the thing is they don't know how the draft will play out. If thy cut those guys now and when the draft plays out and the wrs the Texans want are gone then they are screwed and will have to pick the leftover free agents don't don't know the system at all.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

It depends on his replacement. If he's replaced by a 4th round rookie, then the Texans will save money. If he's replaced by some journeyman FA, then probably not.

But your typical 3rd/4th journmeyman WR is probably a lot better than Jacoby as a receiver. But Kubiak seem to place a lot of emphasis on blocking though.

19. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

You do not pay your #3 or #4 WR 4.5M / yr

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kubiak will give both a shot at making the team in Preseason. Whom ever has the best Preseason will make the team to go along with our 1st rd pick. Wish we could cut both of them right now