1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why ain't there no love for us WRs?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by t_mac1, Oct 10, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Owens, Irvin wonder why Brady didn't speak up for Moss
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 10, 2010 11:27 AM ET
    Former NFL wide receiver Michael Irvin and current NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens sat down for a conversation on NFL Network this morning, and they both agreed that NFL wide receivers don't get enough credit, while quarterbacks get too much credit.

Owens brought up his old quarterback in San Francisco, Jeff Garcia, saying that the 49ers were willing to give Garcia a new contract but weren't willing to pay Owens what he wanted.

"They re-did his contract immediately," Owens said. "And yet they dragged my contract out throughout the whole summer."

Irvin then chimed in, "Jeff Garcia got his money but won't go and say, 'I need this guy that really helped me get my money.' Because you sent him to the Pro Bowl."

Owens and Irvin brought up Owens' previous unhappiness with the Eagles and quarterback Donovan McNabb, and Irvin tied it into what he perceives as Tom Brady not standing up for Randy Moss.

"Now Randy Moss leaves," Irvin said. "And I haven't heard anything where Tom Brady stepped up and said anything. Why does that happen?"

"I don't want to go down that road," Owens answered. "I'm just going to leave it as it is. I just feel like it's ridiculous, and that's why sometimes I have taken the stance that I have taken. When I was in Philly I refused to be overworked and underpaid."

As he has previously, Owens brought up Brady in discussing the Moss trade.

"Why does Tom get a new contract and Randy doesn't?" Owens asked. "That baffles me to death."

Asked Irvin, "Why is it that receivers are so unappreciated in this league?"

Owens suggested that if he gave his true feelings about that, he wouldn't be welcome in the NFL in 2011.

"I don't want to go down that road," Owens said. "I don't want to give you nothing. I want to try to get on a team next year."

And Owens said that the NFL's undervaluing of receivers has hurt him financially.

"The contract I have right now, it's basically like I'm playing for free," Owens said.

Irvin asked Owens, "How much of that is on you?" and Owens looked incredulous.

"On me? On me?" Owens said. "I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm perfect, but I'm not going to shoulder all the blame, either."

In the NFL Network studio after the interview, Irvin made clear that he buys what Owens is selling.

"Certainly, that has merit, what T.O. is saying," Irvin said afterward. "Absolutely. We give quarterbacks all the love in the world -- and they deserve all the love in the world -- but you can only be a great quarterback if someone is on the other end."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-why-brady-didnt-speak-up-for-moss/?related=1

personally, i feel it has SOME merit in what they're saying but if they think a WR is as important as a QB, they are crazy.

i feel brady put up some of his best numbers WITH moss and it would have been nice if he stuck up for moss. we can all say brady won without moss, but the patriots won with defense. their defense now is shaky and so we're going to see how brady does without moss.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have a feeling it's just a matter of Moss being old. QBs generally age much better than WRs. The Patriots are pretty much the NFL moneyball team. If they let a player go rather than giving him big bucks, I generally feel it's because they know how to allocate their money. After all, it's difficult to give big bucks to everyone when you're working with a hard cap.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If TO actually feels this way, he is a pure, complete, total unadulterated idiot. A 3-time Super Bowl winning franchise QB got a contract extension from his team and Randy Moss did not. What a shame! :rolleyes:

And it comes out Randy Moss rebuffed the Pats during training camp about extending his contract. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5670760&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Why is there "no love" for flakeheads like TO and Moss?

4. Garner

Garner Member

Really? "Ain't" in a thread title. Fail.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/huRM_fx9m0s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/huRM_fx9m0s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Report: Moss, Brady had to be separated in locker room
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2010 12:24 PM ET
    Through all of the reports and rumors regarding the final days of Randy Moss in New England, there has been no suggestion that Moss had any trouble or friction with quarterback Tom Brady.

There is now.

Charley Casserly of CBS reports that Moss and Brady went toe-to-toe on a recent occasion, and that they had to be separated.

Brady reportedly expressed disappointment with Randy's behavior, and Brady told Moss that he should cut his beard. Moss responded by telling Brady to cut his hair, saying (per Casserly) that Brady looks like a girl.

And now we know why Tom Brady has been silent on the situation.

UPDATE: Some of you think Casserly was joking. Watch the video and come to your own conclusion. (We don't think Casserly was joking.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...had-to-be-separated-in-locker-room/?related=1

what is this? girl fight?

6. DontTradeOswalt

[​IMG]

Lmao? What?

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Brady lead the Pats to 3 SBowls before Randy and can win it after him. I will say, losing Moss will hurt NE right now but long term it was the right move.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

FIFY

Rocket River

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until the Patriots can win a Superbowl without Cheating . . . .
    They just a bunch of big ole *s

Since they got busted cheating . . .they been pretty much back with the pack
    So, I give Brady no real credit because they are cheaters :D
    If Barry Bonds, Clements, Sosa and all those other cheaters get *s . . .
    so do the Cheating Patriots!!

Rocket River

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRHh_qvo1f8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRHh_qvo1f8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

It's the way of the league. When a team wins a Super Bowl the claim is always because of the QB no matter how the QB peform that season. We saw Tom Brady in 2001 throw 4 more TD's than Int's average 189 yards a game and they call him a winner. Why because his defense caused turnovers and he had a strong running game. The man gets the MVP in the Super Bowl for throwing 145 yards and 1 TD in the Super Bowl. The MVP should have been given to Ty Law who shut down Issac Bruce and took an Int back for a TD. There is just a worpship of this position. We saw them give Trent Dilfer credict for a Super Bowl because he didn't make mistakes. It's full of crap.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Maybe you get no love because you're whiny.

13. bloop

bloop Member

If football was an individual game then Moss would have been paid like Brady. Unfortunately it's not. Moss hasn't won **** either or contributed to anything other than his own stats.

The bigger question is why does the WR position seem to breed the most needy, whiny players in football?

TO
    Michael Irvin
    Keyshawn Johnson
    Moss

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe because the QB is more important than the WR, the QB touches the ball EVERY single play.

DD

15. raj87

raj87 Member

Kindly note that this is because they are ball catchers, and that is the nature of their existence.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is really hard for me to take anything TO says seriously when actually made the statement that his current contract has him basically playing for free.

Funny how all this whining and the examples the whiners give are all ABOUT whiners. We just had a situation where a team went out of its way to reward a damn good WR, Andre Johnson. Andre is everything that guys like TO are not. The team recognized his value and rewarded him even though they didn't have to. But you don't see TO commenting on that.

1 person likes this.
  17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Exactly. T.O. and Irvin whining about WR love? They can have each other.

Using Moss as an example here does nothing to make their point.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Not in the wildcat! LEARN 2 FOOTBALL

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Should he call Quannell X? :confused:

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Revisionist history????
    Andre doesn't whine/sit out that one practice . . . trust and beleive he would not
    have gotten the new contract.

Rocket River