1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whoever drafts Andrew Bogut is gonna be a lucky team!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by DeAleck, Feb 1, 2005.

1. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

Did anyone watch this guy play last tonight? Based on the 4 or 5 games I've seen him play in this year, his overall game was one of the best I've seen from a 7 footer. He is a great combination of outside shooting and post-up games. He's court awareness is also amazing. No one over 6'8 has his passing ability in college basketball. He also plays on both ends of the floor, displayed by his shot-blocking and rebounding ability.

The White 7 footers are often labeled as the most overrated group of players in every year's NBA draft. They are either stiffs or softies. Andrew Bogut is neither. In fact, the combination of his toughness and skills is extremely rare in these days. He has that warrior mentality in him that can carry a team to wins after wins, as what he's doing now to his Utah team.

Without a consensus # 1 pick, this year's draft is very intriguing, just like last year's. However, Bogut's performance is gradually making him the obvious one. Having a guy like Bogut on our team and pair him up with Yao Ming might create THE most dynamic inside combo since Duncan-Robinson, maybe even Sampson-Olajuwon.

Of course, the samething was said last year about Okafor-Yao. It would never happen. We are going to the playoffs, and there is no way we can get the #1 pick without losing either Yao or McGrady. I think what we really need is doing some serious long term investment, just like what Detroit did. While winning their division, they successfully fleeced Memphis a #2 pick, which the Grizz could have used to get either Wade or Bosh (Darko might not be a bust, but Larry Brown surely busted him. And Carmelo is on his way to become a Glen Robinson clone).

2. giddyup

giddyup Member

Yeah that guy is pretty darn good.

On a side note, I saw an Ainge running around out there for BYU. I also saw him whining at the refs which was my first conviction that he might be Danny Ainge's son. Is he?

3. Glish21

Glish21 Member

ya he definately is.

4. dreday

dreday Member

The kid's only a sophmore and already putting up 20/12.
    If he waits one more season he'll be in the lottery. Might even be there this year...

GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO BLK FG% FT% 3P%
    20 32.8 20.0 12.2 2.4 2.9 1.7 .647 .693 .333

5. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

Next year he'll be a lottery pick? If he comes out right now, he'd be #1. Over Paul and over Taft. Unless he flops big time for the rest of the year, I don't see how he's not the top prospect in this year's draft.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Plus he's a marketing gem with a name like Bogut!

7. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

What you are saying is bogus!

8. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

I saw the game. He played sick and still dominated.

He is going to be a great pro. He is going top 5 - I thought we had a chance of drafting him in late firt round but his stock has gone up ridiculously. Charlotte's GM/Coach and scout was in the stands for this game.

What suprised me most was his passing. Right now he is even a better passer than Shaq, Duncan, Divac and Webber. Gosh his passing was so good I wanted him to touch the ball everytime down the court. He is a playmaker and can do all things on the floor. He is surely going to be a top 5 pick if not #1 overral and he is not going to be a bust in the NBA. Maybe we may luck into an Ike Diogu or some other PF out there we have not heard of.

PS. Austin Ainge is Danny's son. They are all just crazy and fiesty.

9. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Member

I was at that game last night. Bogut is the real deal. He is unbelievable agile and is fantastic down in the post.

But I love the Utes so take that for what it's worth. ;)

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

U live in SLC? Provo?

11. lalala902102001

It's about time when the Aussies rule basketball.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

The game was played in Provo but he could be a member of the Utes entourage.

The commentators said that there is another Aussie gem called Neville (a red shirt freshman) for the Utes that is going to be as good if not better than Andy. My question is how did Utah Utes land such players? Maybe our Houston Cougers need to go back to digging up talent from Africa, Oceania and South America so that we can bring bad such glory days like the P_S_J.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Bogut can drain the triple too!

Watched plenty of him at the Olympics - he was fantastic against Team USA - took it right to the big guys!

Really looked comfortable playing against "men" throughout the tournament - he's already been projected as the "best Australian player ever" by the Australian coach. If he's not a lottery pick I'll be surprised - if he somehow falls to us, I would be thrilled!!

14. giddyup

giddyup Member

We'd probably all be surprised out how completely the Mormon church has penetrated this wide, wide world.

15. waran007

waran007 Member

I watched Bogut get absolutely manhandled by Emeka Okafor last year when they matched up. Granted, he's had some time to improve, but I definitely expect more out of a future number one pick. He looked more like Rafael Araujo out there.

16. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

Rafael Araujo? You are kidding, right? Last year when whose two matched up, Bogut manhandled him. Araujo was strong and mean, but Bogut was just too quick and athletic. I think Araujo will be a servicable center in the NBA, but Bogut will be a star.

I am not surprised that Okafor was able to manhandle Bogut. He wasn't as nearly good last year as he is this year. The stats wasn't even close. Players take time to develop, and now, Bogut is much more polished.

BTW, Bogut and Yao went head-to-head last summer in a game between the Chinese and the Aussies. Yao won the game(got 20 some points), but didnt' demolish him. I think Bogut got 12 points and 8 rebounds or something. I can't remember.

17. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

If that's the case, Bogut would have gone to BYU. U of Utah is as anti-Mormon as it gets.

18. giddyup

giddyup Member

Really?! I mean I knew that BYU was "more" Mormon than Utah, but I also knew that Utah was more "basketball" than BYU.

Learn something every day...

19. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

U of Utah is the left-wing liberal island in the ultra-conservative Mormon ocean called Utah, whose culture was represented by BYU.

The people from both schools really hate each other In these past couple years, BYU has been embarrassed by U of Utah in every major sports. Right now, the BYU uniform includes a paper bag mask.

20. pacertom

pacertom Member

So is he a taller & slower Van Horn, or a slightly less stiff Michael Doleac?

The history of dopey big white guys from Utah would leave me very skeptical of using a high draft choce on this guy.