1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Will Be the #1 Overall Draft Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Feb 1, 2013.

?

Whose name will be the first one called on June 6?

1. Sean Manaea

13.1%
  2. Mark Appel

45.9%
  3. Ryne Stanek

1.6%
  4. Clint Frazier

13.1%
  5. Austin Meadows

11.5%
  6. Other (please name)

14.8%
  1. No Worries

No Worries Member

Phil Nevin played 11 MLB season, had 5 seasons with his OPS above .850 and 2 seasons above .900. Not too shabby but then again no ticket to Cooperstown.

Correa has a 50-50 shot at the same career. We all can hope for better but ...

2. juicystream

juicystream Member

Phil Nevin was a complete bust for us. A career like that where he breaks out 6 years later isn't going to be with us by that time.

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Looks like Drew Ward, the top high school junior according to Perfect Game, has reclassified and will be eligible for the 2013 draft. Also was a move that most expected.

Nathan Rode (@BAHighSchool): Source just alerted @jimcallisBA that Drew Ward was reclassified and is eligible for the 2013 #mlbdraft. Rumored for months, now official.

4. juicystream

juicystream Member

Wonder how he compares to Frazier/Meadows.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Rode believes he could go between the 2nd-4th rounds

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully no relation to Daryl Ward.

7. juicystream

juicystream Member

That is a big drop off from the top seniors. Of course, more risk associated with someone we've only have Freshman & Sophmore years to go off of.

8. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Member

So the answer is to get them on roids sooner.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

I'm torn on this one at this point.

I'm not sold on Manaea until he can do better than a +3 ERA at Indiana State. Let's see how he performs this seasons to see if he can keep up his Cape performance.

Stanek is very interesting to me, especially if he can develop another pitch aside from his FB and slider.

Appel is still very interesting to me as well -- he's clearly a great talent.

Frazier and Meadows I haven't seen film on but everybody is gushing about them, so I don't know.

If you put a gun to my head today and made me choose, I'd probably go with Appel, then Stanek.

10. DaryleWard

DaryleWard Member

You better watch yourself.

1 person likes this.
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

***REPOST: From "2013 MLB Draft" Thread***

Ultimate Astros: Astros narrow pool for No. 1 pick to eight players

Also, insight on some famous Astros' kids. And a future Aggie QB.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>We'll attempt to show fans how Mike Elias and his 23 full-time scouts, 4 part-timers and associates track No. 1 pick and other prospects.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/300765273932316672">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Baseball scouting season picks up after Super Bowl. Elias just returned from Calif. showcase in my hometown of Compton, Calif.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/300765718054596608">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>With no consensus No.1-type prospect in this year's draft, the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Astros">#Astros</a> are looking at about 8 players as potential top picks.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/300766756438417408">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Of the 8 prospects <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Astros">#Astros</a> are considering, it's fair to say there isn't a high school pitcher in that bunch.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/300766978832990210">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>For the top pick, "we have right now a list of 8 names. We’re going to keep scouting those guys throughout the year," Mike Elias said.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/300769650101350400">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>"We’re going to keep our eyes on them and then maybe narrow that list," said Mike Elias, the Astros' scouting director.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/300769750663979008">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Astros">#Astros</a>' college scouting will move north once season changes. Geography-based thus far. National cross-checker has been handling Florida.</p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronAstros) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronAstros/status/300771786365227009">February 11, 2013</a></blockquote>

12. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

I like the Austin Meadows kid. I know a scout and his opinion is the highest ceiling is Meadows.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, we know that Mark Appel and Stanford will be in Houston this afternoon. But what about the others in the mix for #1 overall?

All times are Central and all college games can be tracked on D1Baseball.com.

Ryne Stanek and the #1 ranked Arkansas Razorbacks will take on Western Illinois at 3 PM.

Sean Manaea will take the mound for Indiana State as they face IPFW (Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne) in the Bulldog Classic in Huntsville, Alabama at 6:30.

Clint Frazier and Loganville High will open their season against South Gwinnett on Tuesday. He and Austin Meadows will face off on March 12, when Grayson comes to visit.

Speaking of Meadows, he and Grayson will be traveling to Winder-Barrow tomorrow afternoon.

Others to keep an eye on

At 9 PM, Kris Bryant, another player who could force his way into the #1 overall discussion, and the University of San Diego will take on San Diego State.

Dominic Smith and Serra High will be on the road as they take on Redondo Union High at 5:15.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Mark Appel hit 95 on his first pitch. He's been in the 94-97 range with his fastball so far.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Rice got 2 in the 2nd off of him. Looks like he was throwing more off-speed stuff this inning.

I'm really liking Austin Kubitza. Reminds me of Brady Rodgers.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Looks like Appel's night is done. He went 5 innings and gave up 5 runs (3 earned) on 7 hits. Rice leads 5-0 in the 6th

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Rice Owls (@RiceOwlsdotcom): Appel's final line: 5 IP, 5 R, 2 ER, 7 H, 3 K, 3 BB

Kubitza's final line: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 12 K (career-high)

I believe Kubitza had either 2 or 3 walks.

18. No Worries

No Worries Member

Beak'em Owls!!!

Kubitza for 1.1.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Just back from the Rice/Stanford game. First off, huge win for the Owls! Great crowd and weather at Reckling Park this evening.

some thoughts:
    1. Rice's offense is considered it's biggest weakness coming into the season -- we don't have good hitters. The fact that Appel wasn't missing those bats is extremely worrisome if I'm looking at him for 1-1.

2. Kubitza totally outpitched Appel. Stanford has what most believe as the BEST offense in college baseball, and Kubitza silenced them. A career high in strikeouts for Austin at 12 (or 13?) over 6 innings. Amazing. Kubitza was a 7th round pick of the Pirates 3 years ago, so his talent was recognized a long time ago.

3. Appel seems to have regressed since I saw him a couple years ago. The radar gun at Rice is fairly accurate (I believe its the JUGS gun which is 3-4 mph slower than the "fast gun", the Stalker), and 2 years ago Appel was hitting 97-98-99, but today he was sitting more around 94-95. At 1-1, I do not want a guy who throws 94-95 and can't miss bats. Time to look elsewhere.

4. Austin Wilson (and Brian Ragira for that matter) are your typical highly athletic guys with good fast twitch bat speed. Guys like that should NEVER see a fastball, as that's what they can mash. They typically do not have the advanced skills to hit breaking pitches. Kubitza recognized that and made them look bad.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Not sure I see this comparison. I remember Rodgers pitching at Lamar Cons and then Arizona State. He's a shorter, squattier version of Kubitza with less projection. Kubitza's 6-5 and has incredible movement on his pitches, leading to a high number of Ks and weakly hit balls. I've always thought of Rodgers as more of a smart finesse guy who doesn't K a lot of hitters. No doubt they're both effective pitchers, though. I like both.