1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who wants to pitch in and slap the Suns.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 8, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Last Night Kevin Johnson was awarded a retirement trophy. It was a trophy that displayed him proudly skying over Olajuwon for a monster slam. Excuse me! I remember it very differently. I would like to take donations for a bronze statue of Hakeem blocking KJ from behind. With the donations we will buy a plot of land next to the suns arena and proudly plant our statue in their backyard! That was just a disgrace. I hope we kick their blazing *ss all over the place the next time we play.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hakeem's block on KJ was one of the most amazing blocks EVER! KJ had a wide open layup in transition . . . He even looked behind him to make sure no one was there . . . then, out of nowhere, Hakeem came and blocked KJ's shot HARD, sending KJ crashing to the floor.

Hakeem actually did almost the exact same thing to Rod Strickland in the first round of the 1994 Playoffs. I believe Rod (with the Blazers at the time) stole an inbounds pass (?) at halfcourt and was heading in for an easy layup when . . . Hakeem blocked that crap into the stands!

Given all that, KJ's dunk over Hakeem was one of the most impressive plays ever made by a six-footer. The first time I saw that dunk, I immediately gained tremendous respect for KJ. He's a class guy, and I wish more players were like him.

------------------

3. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I'll take a banner in the top of the summit over a retirement trophy any day....

------------------

4. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

KJ's fearless dunks on many a center were awesome to watch and he had a couple of good ones on Dream.The guy had a lot of heart and paid for it with his injuries.Like you said PSJ,Dream ran back like a deer and swatted that s**t...awesome.Dream leads the friggin NBA in blocked shots...man.For the number of times he put himself in a position to possibly get posterized,it seems it rarely happened.What audacity!!..I'm in...Let's track down Phoenix quickly and set our sights on the Twolves.

------------------

5. ZRB

ZRB Member

I'd say that its a compliment to Hakeem. The fact that it was such an accomplishment to dunk over Hakeem shows what a great defender Hakeem was and still is. That makes KJ's dunk look just incredible.

------------------
    I'm the most positive Rocket fan in the world.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Echoing on that,
    wasnt that KJ dunk in a game the Rockets were winning in the playoffs.
    Was it the one that sent the suns home packing?
    I thought so but I could be wrong.

BTW, I was at that 94 game when Hakeem came from behind to block Strickland.
    It was great.

------------------

7. Toast

Toast Member

I agree with that sentiment. To make KJ look good, they had to show him dunking on the best.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Who won that series? Highlight reel dunks mean nothing when you blow a big series lead and go down twice to the same team in consecutive years.

A statue of KJ dunking doesn't make much sense anyway, since he so rarely did it. It would be like a statue of Dream shooting a 3.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

9. Behad

Behad Member

As I recall, it wasn't an inbound pass, but a lazy pass from Hakeem, and he knew it. That's why he took off running so quickly....to correct his mistake. He corrected it into the stands!

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

10. Drewdog

Drewdog Member

Anyone have a link to the picture of the statue???

11. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Sam,
    What makes you say KJ hardly dunked?. [​IMG]..just curious..He used that crossover and attacked the rim.If he wasn't pulling up for that mid range J,then he would drive hard to the hoop and finish with a throwdown quite often.It seemed like he preferred the baseline,if my memory serves me right.KJ had a collection of highlight jams.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited March 08, 2001).]

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

------------------
    "Hey Snoop Dog, I got my bi-yatch to make you some muffins."

[This message has been edited by gr8-1 (edited March 08, 2001).]

13. Behad

Behad Member

Did you even read this thread before you posted?

------------------
    Behad

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

Sorry. I'm a dip****, but thanks for your courteous response.

------------------
    "Hey Snoop Dog, I got my bi-yatch to make you some muffins."

15. Behad

Behad Member

[​IMG]

Better? [​IMG]

------------------
    Behad

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Well, maybe my memory's fuzzy in my old age, but I don't remember KJ as a big-time dunker. He took the ball agressively to the hole, usually from the baseline, looking 1st to pass. If the pass wasn't available he was a good finisher, but more with layups and vanilla dunks than the highlight reel stuff.

------------------
    In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I gotta give KJ his props. That was one of the best dunks I have ever seen. I think KJ had like 46 in that game.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

18. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

It just seemed to me that he got a lot in the flow of the game and at his size had some memorable ones...Anyway..It's neither here nor there...he was a helluva player,was fearless,and sure could break his man down on the dribble,just couldn't stay healthy..Rocket killer too....oooh!

------------------

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I would like to see KJ then play Francis now [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Hardwood, man you could be correct for all I know - you're definitely right that it doesn't matter. KJ is definitely in my list of top-10 favorite non-Rocket players, ever. And he might make the top 5 list. It still annoys me that Dream is being statue-ized (as opposed to just posterized). But I'll take consolation in the two trophys.

------------------