1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next GM of the Houston Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Summer Song Giver, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Summer Song Giver

GM Rick Smith should not get a pass, he was a Kubiak lap dog brought in by our soon to be former coach and his bad drafts have lead this team to the point where there is no depth at many positions. He has mismanaged the salary cap to the point where solid starters are lost each offseason.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-personnel-men-that-will-be-general-managers

I hope he does not get a pass when the coaches are let go this offseason.

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

If we have a shot at DeCosta from Baltimore, we have to take it. He's the brains behind their success (although Newsome the face)

3. NotChandlerParsons

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I hope he's gone also. The whole front office sounds like a mess and nobody on the outside has any idea the chain of command. Each mistake is backpedaled into some blame game triangle between Wade Gary and Rick. If Wade wasn't consulted on Reed, then that had to have been Smith. If Gary signs off on every player drafted, then what does Rick even do? His (or gary's) scouting network must be minimal since he only hits on 1st rounders.

After that Ahman Green interview back in 2011 where he was warned about dealing with Rick I didn't care to keep him, because I had the hopes that Kubes would get canned after that 6-10 disaster. And that was one of the only pieces of news we even had about the guy.

I'd want someone out of Newsome or Thompson's team, someone who had some responsibility building their super bowl teams. Rick Smith's role on the Broncos when they won was assistant DB coach. Good for him for working all the way to get a shot at GM for a young team, but I want the championship pedigree now.

5. updawg

updawg Member

This. I wish they would bring him in today

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

When you have the worst record in the NFL, NO ONE should be retained.

This team needs an enema.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There might be 1-3 people on this board that are qualified to answer this question. It's not like the NBA. Also, incoming coaches like to bring their own GM's. I don't like that. But if y'all have your heart set on a Gruden or Cowher (not that I do) they'll be selecting their own GM.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

This is the case for well-established coaches. But typically a GM is hired and the GM hires the coach. Or at least, that's the way it should be.

On that note:

[​IMG]

9. the shark

the shark Member

one guy I would most definitely take a look at is Bill Polian.

Proven track record of building damn good teams.

I would also say he has an ax to grind with Irsay given how that scenario played out. He's in great shape health wise from my understanding and I don't think his age would be a problem.

If Smith isn't shown the door as well than there's a serious problem with McNair.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Polilan or DeCosta would be excellent options. I think if Gruden decides he wants the job, then you wait for his input on a GM. Love Bill Cowher, so the same would probably hold true for him as well. Of course ...there's always Scott Pioli

11. Commodore

Commodore Member

Lance Z was saying Rick Smith has several years left on his contract and McNair might not want to pay extra salaries to coach/QB/GM that are not part of the team.

12. Summer Song Giver

Couple that with the whole Godson of Mcnairs grandbaby for Rick Smith and it just perfectly illustrates the problem with the ORGANIZATION, t starts at the top folks, and winning isn't the top priority. Sucks for Htown.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

IIRC

Kubiak expires end of 2014-2015 season
    Phillips expires end of 2015-2016 season
    Smith expires end of 2015-2016 season

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Smith better be gone.

15. The Real Shady

McNair needs to learn how to separate business from his personal relationships. Especially in pro football where coaching/GM length of employment tends to be quite short.

16. JoeBarelyCares

17. Nook

Nook Member

Polian is very difficult to work with and wants total control of the team... including trumpeting his son Chris as an executive.

18. updawg

updawg Member

What's this all about?

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

alright. trade watt it is then

:rolleyes:

20. Summer Song Giver

I'm no internet sleuth, but I have heard it enough times that I tend to believe it, and that is Bob Mcnair's son, Cal Mcnair (Chief Operating Officer of the Texans) named Rick Smith as Godfather to his child.

Anyway, enough about that, have a read on why maybe the Texans suck, here is an article on Cal and his role with the Texans; it seems our hometown team is noting more than billionaire's extravagant real life Madden video game gift to his son. From the article I get the impression that all are accountable to Cal and that he is involved in team operations so much so that he has input on who to draft, and other personnel decisions.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/why-bob-mcnair-felt-the-time-was-right-to-make-cal-mcnair-texans-coo/