1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Who needs each other more? Adelman or the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Rick Adelman's contract is up at the end of the season, so he and the rockets would have to want to continue this relationship.

For Adelman he is facing the prospect of essentially coaching a team with no immediate prospect of contending. Will he stick with the rockets or explore other options? There are no immediate spots open now but there could be vacancies depending on how the playoffs go.

1. Miami would be under great pressure to fire Spol if they signficantly underachieve in the playoffs. Adelman would have to be in contention for the job.

2. Orlando could fire Van Gundy if they disappoint again, they are getting desperate with Dwight's contract coming up and I could see them making a move.

3. Phil Jackson retiring from the lakers? They would most likely try a triangle guy, but Adelman is not out of the question here as well.

For the Rockets, there are no coaches currently available who are better than Adelman.

Maybe someone like Sam Mitchell or JVG again?

Would Morey take a risk on a guy like Larry Brown?

Hard to see the Rockets letting Adelman go willingly.

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Let's be serious here, if we had an average coach we wouldn't be at 500.

This team's talent level blows in relative to how most offenses are run(through star quality). It's depth is freakish, but it's quality isn't that notable, just quantity as of right now.

This is an easy roster to say should be bottom 5, 8 in the L. Including last year, but again like this year, we are in the middle which is a sign of Adelman's ability to coach.

3. liljojo

liljojo Member

Rick in Miami would be absolutely devastating.

I know the Heat are winning right now, but my high school gym teacher could win with Miami's roster. Spoelstra is wasting so much talent down there.

Put in a coach who actually knows what he's doing, especially of Adelman's caliber? Watch out.

4. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

i would stay classy JVG and Adelman

and to answer your question is a good one i think Adelman is a lock as a rocket

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If the team goes full rebuilding mode, I think Adelman is gone....on his own accord.

DD

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Adelman could find a team to pay him in seconds.

Rockets finding a new coach as good as Adelman? Not in seconds.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

it would be easy for Adelman to land a job, but I can't think of who we could get to coach, Larry Brown would be an awful fit with Brooks and Martin, I think JVG is done coaching for good or is waiting for a Laker job. I really can't think of anybody good that be out there.

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

We are incredibly fortunate to have such an experienced coach as Adelman. Guys like him aren't exactly a dime a dozen, and he's already retired once. I don't think it would be that hard for him to retire again, but the Rockets would miss him sorely. This team is built for his system after all.

9. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

yea, we need rick. he doesnt need us sadly..but he is classy, so i dont think he would just drop us..but u never know.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think if Adelman walks, its for good this time. Even with a mediocre team, you still have to consider the working conditions if you are Adelman or another coach considering Houston. Les Alexander and the city of Houston have been very good to Rick, and he pretty much gets to do whatever he has in his power to do.

If Adelman walks on his own accord when the season is over and goes to another team, then Houston is still an attractive location for other coaches to consider. Warm weather, NO STATE TAX, great management, solid locker room with few egos, and nice young talent.

I trust in Les and Morey to get the best coach available that can help this team win as soon as possible. Look at the past 10 years and you will see that Les Alexander has always had one of the best coaching staff's out there every year. I would expect a new coach to not necessarily be a bad thing.

11. J-Man

J-Man Member

In years....YEARS.
    Rick is a one of a kind coach and one of the greatest of all time too.

12. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

I would like to see Adelman coaching Bulls, Heat, Thunders or Magic.

13. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I think Rick retires. Rockets get some crappy coach for a lottery bound team. They suck real bad for 2 years and pick up 2 all-star potential rookies in the process.

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

Coaches typically stay with the same team unless fired. I expect Adelman to be with the Rockets for a long time.

15. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

If DM can land an all-star or 2 with Yao's contract, i would go ahead and extend Adelman for another 2-3 years and see what he can do with healthy all-stars.

He hasnt had a true cast of stars to play with and he's still able to keep the Rockets' heads above water. Just imagine what he could do with a couple of all-stars

16. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I don't see Adleman leaving. Unless there is strive between Adleman and Morey, why would he go? Yes, he wants to be contending, but you can't really just pick where you want to go. As well, there is still the possiblity of a trade that puts us back in play.

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned....RJ Adleman. if Papa leaves, he puts his son out of a job too. Unless Papa has something lined up, I think he'll be inclined to stay till Jr has enough experience to stand on his own a little better.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Adelman sat out in retirement for years, before choosing the Rockets. So yes, Adelman can sit out until a team likes shows up at his doorstep.

18. lalala902102001

Adelman is a coach that can a job from any team in the NBA. If the Rockets do rebuild (I hope so), he will be gone. Otherwise he will keep this team competitive for a few more years but we will not be a contender.

19. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Adelman is elite coach, top-5 in the game. Rockets are not. Simple answer.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

yeah, JVG is currently doing the same thing. Thats what great coaches do.