1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the real good guys and bad guys in politics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Outlier, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

I've never been so invested in politics until this year.

It's all very interesting to me and I believe I will continue to educate myself as the years go by.

I know this thread will be heavily skewed by personal biases, and that's fine.

I would like to hear the opinions of others of who they believe are heroes and evil-doers in politics, and what they have accomplished that make them those figures.

I'm a big fan of Popovich and the way he perceives the world. When he says that Mitch "runs everything", I believe him. It's pretty concerning to me. I would like to know more about the evil Mitch has done. He really does seem cunning and conniving from the interviews I've watched thus far.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...-to-unify-country-amid-george-floyd-protests/

Trump was not Popovich’s only target during the interview. Popovich also had some harsh words for U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican who serves as Senate Majority Leader, saying McConnell is the person who “really runs the country.”

“McConnell has destroyed and degraded our judicial system. He has tried to destroy heath care. He’s destroyed the environment," said Popovich. "He’s the master and Trump’s the stooge, and what’s funny is that Trump doesn’t even know it.”

Hakeemtheking, mdrowe00 and TWS1986 like this.
  2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Good = Trump

Bad = everyone else in the world. They’re deep state.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Mitt Romney is overall a principled guy. He isn’t perfect but he at least thinks about what is and isn’t right.

Justin Amash and Will Hurd both are principled guys that I think highly of.

Chris Coons is possibly the most ethical politician in America today.

Mike DeWine is someone that a lot of people think is a good man.

Hakeemtheking, Dubious, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  4. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...Mittens definitely is concerned with his principals, all right...:rolleyes:

...(and I'm teasing)...

...I dig at Mittens because...I mean...

...come on, man...

..."...binders full of women..."? Really?

...as if people don't think the Mormons are weird and kinky enough already, with their magically delicious underpants...:D;)

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Pops should stick to what he is good at...

JumpMan likes this.
  6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Good guys are career administrators, as long as they're not discriminating against community stakeholders, embezzling for personal enrichment, suborning war crimes in non-white countries or cutting safety and audit corners years on end so they can "work through lunch" and leave at 2:00 pm on a Friday.

Bad guys are lobbyists, unless they're non-corporate special interest groups advocating for human rights. Or corporate lobbyists asking for more safety or risk regulation in good faith. Or pre-Federal Reserve bankers teaching ornery war heroes about the money supply.

#6 Dairy Ashford, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Nook likes this.
  7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Good = freedom loving, America first Democrats.
    Bad = Trump and repugs.

Simple breh. ;). But seriously the above is true.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

One thing people don't talk about is that Democrats and Republicans not only see the world differently, they see people different. This is true for how they consider goodness in life not just politics. Republicans see a good person as a combination of someone who aligns with their personal views and follows through on their word. Democrats consider a good person to be more altruistic. You can generally be a good person and have completely opposite views as long as you genuinely care about what happens to others, including people that aren't in your group.

jiggyfly and Outlier like this.
  9. Outlier

Outlier Member

You've offered much greater insight than Pop has.... Nope, not really. Don't quit your day job. Or better yet, take your own advice and stick to only what you're good at and don't talk politics.

Ziggy likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is my opinion, and my opinion only. This is the worst time to being intrigued by politics. Its a **** show of drama. The last 4 years was better suited for something like Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashians instead of demonstrated leadership (or the lack of) on the world stage. Im not intrigued. Im disgusted.

There are no good guys or bad guys. The more power a person accumulates over their political career is a testament of how compromised they have become. In recent years, we are looking at Bush, Trump, Hillary, Harris, McConnell, Schumer, Pelosi. So far I've seen good things out of Biden. Obamas first term was good but certainly saw a shift in his second term. Even then he allowed the bailouts of banks w/out any real repercussions.
    Sanders has a nice grass roots effort, but as we have seen in the last two elections, he was quickly shut out. Im not a fan of AOC, but so far she has demonstrated she isnt a sell out. And to put it in perspective, she is considering not running again for office due to all the BS in the party.

If you really are interested, form your own opinions. Dont let people like Popovich, Kerr or LeBron sway your opinion.

In addition, make sure you understand the other sides position. If the response is 'oh they are just racist', you do not understand their position, so therefore you dont understand yours. And most people do not understand their position, they are simply lock stepping with their team. Take abortion for example:
    Democrats: Its a womans right issue. Counter argument: Republicans hate women and want to strip their rights way.
    Republicans: Concern for the rights of the baby. Counter argument: Democrats have no respect for life and are perfectly fine with killing babies.
    This gets lumped into the primary abortion discussion and none of that has anything to do with the abortion discussion. Its absolutely ignorant. There is no grand conspiracy to take away womans rights or to kill babies. This discussion is constantly brought up when there is very little concern for legislation. So stop making it a single-issue vote.

Get to know your county commissioners. If you're not going to take the time to research local issues, which by far have a bigger impact in your life, then you're only intrigued by the reality tv drama found in Washington. President Trump didn't rezone the historical district in your town to allow Amazon to build a massive distribution center, which in turn created a massive traffic nightmare for your trip to work each morning.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The good guys in politics are the ones with the fewest agendas outside "improve the quality of life of Americans". Few people who reach that level of success (US congress or high level position in the executive branch) don't have the dog eat dog grifting mentality. You almost need it to reach that level. That's why people inherently distrust politicians.

12. biina

biina Member

and you should stick to the poop that you are

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm not entrenched in any one side. I have my own values and I don't blindly follow what Popovich says, especially not Kerr or LeBron. For example, I'm against abortion and understand all the implications of that issue but I lean left due to the lack of leadership on the right.

Anyway, this is less about what each party stands for and more about the individuals on each side and their accomplishments. I dig your second paragraph and wish you and others provided more examples of honorable (or dishonorable) people. As mentioned in the initial post, I understand there will be personal biases as to why an individual may be perceived as "good" when others will call them "bad". Personally, I can find a republican "good" even though I lean left. As long as said republican actually has done good deeds, that is. The way I define good deeds may be different than others, I acknowledge that. To me, it is being unselfish and providing hope.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is a reason why the idiom 'good guys finish last' exists. While I dont agree with the term fully, I get the spirit of it.

There are a lot of good politicians in other countries who while might have some dirt or fault, they are largely uncompromised. But you dont stay King of The Hill for decades w/out fully compromising yourself.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Imagine the political heads of each respective party was Amash and AOC. Imagine a presidential debate between those two. It would be almost 95% policy debates with pretty much no poo flinging about who's more corrupt. That's the democracy we need. A debate about policy and not a debate about who's more ethically compromised.

plates300 and peleincubus like this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Good and bad are relative terms. For whom? Why? You can't discuss it if you don't define it.

17. fchowd0311

To me it's what I stated above. It isn't about what your economic ideology is. It's about intent and agenda. So if your agenda is primarily "improve the daily lives of Americans" then you are a "good guy" regardless of your political ideology. So yo me people who match that criteria as close as possible are individals like Amash and AOC.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

No need to define when I clearly stated:

"I know this thread will be heavily skewed by personal biases, and that's fine."

This thread accepts YOUR version of good.

Of course, this line will for sure welcome trolls to come in this thread and provide ridiculous answers.

So please be honest and serious.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If a celebrity like Trump is encouraged to talk politics and berate the President (Obama) then an Air Force veteran like Pop should be able to voice his opinion as well - IMO.

peleincubus, Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is true. Michael Lewis' recent book, The Fifth Risk, did an excellent job at showcasing devoted professionals in departments like Energy, Commerce and more who have kept things running in this country, sight unseen, for decades.

fchowd0311 likes this.