1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who’s Better: Aaron Brooks or Rodney Stuckey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kwame, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Didn't see this posted anywhere, please lock it up if it has already been posted. This is from the same people who brought you Michael Beasley vs Luis Scola:

Who’s Better: Aaron Brooks or Rodney Stuckey?

http://dimemag.com/2009/12/whos-better-aaron-brooks-or-rodney-stuckey/

By Dime Magazine

Aaron Brooks

We argue. You decide.

AARON BROOKS (by Jack Jensen)
    How many people do you think were ready to throw in the towel after the Rockets traded away Rafer Alston last February in favor of their second-year point guard out of Oregon? I’m guessing more people than care to admit it jumped off the bandwagon and thought Aaron Brooks wasn’t ready to lead Houston anywhere. He’s too small, too inexperienced and not ready for what’s expected of a starter.

After his national breakout party in the 2009 playoffs, and in leading the Rockets to a surprising 16 wins already this season, it’s safe to say that Houston made the right decision. Despite what my man Aron Phillips says about Luis Scola, his teammate, Brooks, is everything that I love about the NBA. He has built himself up from college disappointment as a junior, to become one of the most exciting guards to watch in the League today.

I have been in AB’s corner from his gloomy days in Eugene to dancing in the Elite Eight his senior year to giving Kobe and the Lakers all they could handle through seven games in last year’s second round. In all my time watching Brooks, the attribute that I like most about him is his relentlessness to never surrender. No matter if it’s against a better defender, a broken play or in garbage time, the man will try and bust your teeth in on every possession. There isn’t a quicker guard in the Association than Brooks, and his game feeds off of his speed and agility. In comparing him with another member of the Pacific Northwest family, Rodney Stuckey, it’s all too easy to get stat-envy.

Stuckey averages more points, steals and minutes than Brooks, but surrenders in the only stat that matters: wins. As the starting PG, Brooks has shown he can get it done in both the playoffs and the regular season. Brooks led the Rockets with 16.8 points, 3.4 dimes and seven wins in the ’09 postseason. As the starter for his team, Stuckey’s Pistons went four-and-out against Cleveland. As of Monday, the Rockets are 16-11, while Detroit is 11-16.

In this battle of Seattle, Brooks has solidified himself as the more valuable player. Without Brooks, the Rockets would not have convincingly beaten Portland in the first round last year, much less even sniffed out seven games with L.A. This season, Houston would be reduced to a stockpile of role players putting up Charlotte Bobcats-like results. Brooks sets the tempo and his orchestration of the offense is key to the Rockets’ success. Both Detroit and Houston are dealing with injuries, but each still has sufficient talent surrounding their point guards.

Drafted 11 spots ahead of Brooks in ‘07, Stuckey has also found his comfort level in the League this year, but doesn’t have full command over his team. The Pistons are still Rip’s team, they’re still Billups’ old team. I know Stuck’s the gleaming future of the Motor City, but it still just doesn’t quite feel like Rodney’s team yet. Brooks has taken a squad — seemingly destined to be fishing for Lotto pong come June — that lost Ron Artest and Yao last summer, and has the organization thinking playoffs again. He is also leading Houston in scoring and assists (17.5, 5.5). No question these two guys have a long future ahead of them, but right now, I’m sticking with Brooks.

Rodney Stuckey

RODNEY STUCKEY (by Austin Burton)
    Joe Dumars earned two NBA rings playing next to an ice-cold omniscient veteran point guard in Isiah Thomas. As a front-office dealmaker, he picked up a third ring after signing an ice-cold omniscient vet PG in Chauncey Billups. So what makes Dumars up and trade Billups to clear space for some small-school young’un named Rodney Stuckey?

Go to YouTube and enter “Joe Dumars mix” and you’ll begin to understand. Natural as it is to compare Stuckey to the great Pistons point guards preceding him, a closer look reveals the third-year pro is more likely the second coming of Joe D on the floor.

Stuckey isn’t just a point guard. (Advantage #1 over Aaron Brooks: Versatility.) Injuries to Rip Hamilton and Ben Gordon this season have resulted in Stuckey playing a lot of two-guard while still initiating Detroit’s offense – the same role Dwyane Wade plays in Miami and Brandon Roy plays in Portland. (Advantage #2: Carrying greater responsibilities with equal or greater individual success.) Like Dumars, a reluctant and struggling three-point shooter his first six years in the League, Stuckey has room to develop the weakest facet of his game. In the meantime, like Dumars, Stuckey has the playmaking and scoring ability of a true dual threat in the backcourt.

At 6-5, 205, Stuckey can strong-arm his defender or dart past him, his superb body control allowing him to absorb contact and make tough shots. (Advantage #3: More impressive physical specimen.) While Brooks represents the bad end of a mismatch with bigger point guards, Stuckey matches up evenly with any guard in the League. None are too tall for him, none too quick, none too strong. Where he might fall short is simply experience, and in that regard, Stuckey and Brooks are about even.

Or, consider all Stuck’s been through in his nascent career: Key contributor on an Eastern Conference Finals squad as a rookie; unexpectedly thrust into a starting role following the Billups trade; enduring the drama involving Allen Iverson’s PT and Detroit’s internal issues; and now on his third head coach in three years. And all Stuckey has done is reach the cusp of franchise-player status for one of the NBA’s signature franchises, displaying a vet’s poise all along. (Advantage #4: Experience.)

Stuckey averages 19.7 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.4 assists, 1.4 steals and 2.9 turnovers, and is hitting 85 percent at the line – topping Brooks in five of those six categories. (Advantage #5: Numbers.) Stuckey has been held below double figures in scoring only once, compared to five times for Brooks. (Advantage #6: Consistency.)

True, Brooks has guided Houston to a better record with just as many injuries to deal with. But consider the degree of difficulty: While Brooks has Rick Adelman on his side, Stuckey has a rookie head coach in John Kuester. And while the slight-of-frame Brooks is limited to defending and being defended by opposing point guards, Stuckey routinely lines up across from the best perimeter defenders and scorers. Against the Lakers on Sunday, Stuckey split time between Kobe and Artest. When L.A. plays Houston, Brooks draws Derek Fisher and Jordan Farmar. (Advantage #7: Tougher competition.)

Aaron Brooks is my guy. We grew up in the same Little League system and share an alma mater. I went to school with his older brother for years. I root for Aaron every game he plays. But Aaron grew up playing with Rodney Stuckey. He knows his game. And I believe he’d even understand why, in this instance, the advantages fall in Rodney’s favor.

2. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

This this story true? I read this at the bottom of the page

#

December 21st, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Steve A says:

True Story about Brooks: He had a kid with his g/f at the end of his JR year at UO, and debated quitting the team and moving back to Washington to get a job to support his new family. Keep in mind, at this time Brooks was a huge bust and the prospects of him playing in the NBA were ZERO. Good thing he stuck with it! Million dollar(s) decision!!!

3. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

I'll go with the guy who is a winner, thank you....

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

NBA Fans:Dime Magazine::Music Fans:Rolling Stone

5. Hori

Hori New Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2009/05/theres_no_quit_in_aaron_brooks.html

6. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

will bynum

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Not even close imo, Aaron is much better than stuckey.

8. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Right now, Brooks is better. Stuckey is not a very good jump shooter for now at least. But for the future and as far as potential goes, I'll take Stuckey. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Brooks improving that much. Most of his mistakes tend to be mental mistakes. Like Jay Cutler on the Basketball court. Aaron Brooks makes plays that will make me scratch my head and it's frustrating. Both of these guys proved to be very reliable in the playoffs. 2008, Stuckey owned the Magic when Billups had a groin injury, 2009 Brooks owned the Lakers when Yao went out.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i didn't know stuckey was 6'5. he doesnt seem taller than chris paul or brooks.

i have to go with stuckey. hes just much more versatile than brooks. he's a better defender, PG, and scorer.

the only thing brooks has over stuckey is his 3 point shooting.

10. BBstanley

BBstanley Member

aaron brooks,he is faster,more consistent and also better in shooting,and maybe more capable of leading the team to win,like the article said,rockets is now 16-11 and detroit is 11-16

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That's because he doesn't post up enough to see his height advantage..

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You are reaching right now..

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

We could play this for that all day.

Quickness - Aaron Brooks
    Long Range Game - Aaron Brooks
    Mid Range Game - Aaron Brooks
    Creates most mis-matches - Aaron Brooks
    Biggest Play-off impact - Aaron Brooks
    Most Play-off experience - Aaron Brooks
    Clutch Play - Aaron Brooks (see his clutch play in last seasons play-offs)

We could do this all day. Having said that, I think both players are fantastic take either. Brooks is definitely a bigger steal than in the draft than Stuckey but both should have been high lottery picks.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

...posting their articles on a message board is a chance for each type of fan to rag on the publication? :grin:

16. postaboi713

postaboi713 Member

you pick the most random ass aspects of the game to try and prove a point??? most playoff experience? biggest playoff impact?? create most mis-matches??.... lmao sup HOMER how's Marge....

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How did FG% not come up by the guy arguing for Brooks? Even more so that Brooks is a decent 3pt shooter, while Stuckey shoots 3s about as well as Shaq. He averages one more assist then Stuckey in fewer minutes.

Stuckey has limited range which really hurts his value, and he isn't a great distributor. I'm happy with Brooks, and I'm sure Detroit is happy with Stuckey.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

In terms of shooting and lightning speed reckless offense (I mean that in a good way), Aaron Brooks would be the clear cut winner.

However, Rodney seems to have that special bit of swagger in his game. He seems much more calm-mannered and keeps the game steady. He's also a strong finisher.

In the end, I'd take Brooks over Stuckey any day, we already have a strong point guard in Kyle Lowry.

19. redao

redao Member

Stuckey is a chucker. If Pistons think he is their franchise....... then good luck.