1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which will be worst? drafting a bust or passing on a franchise player?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Angkor Wat, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Which is worst?

1. drafting a bust

50.0%
  2. passing up a franchise player

41.9%
  3. always play it safe

8.1%
  1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Now this could be applied to Football Jonny or Touchdown Teddy or Jadeveon the Clown or whoever

your thoughts?

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

If you pass on a franchise player, their is still a chance your pick is a franchise player

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

This^^^

If Clowney turns out to be Julius Peppers, but we draft TB/BB/JM and he turns into Joe Montana, I can live with that.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

cmon man, my question is one or the other. lets fake look into the future and its either the guy you pick is a bust or a guy you passed up is a franchise player

5. Houston79Astro

With the first pick you go with the sure thing. At the very least the guy has a productive career. If you take a risk, you gamble on him having even a productive career, let alone a HOF career. :grin:

6. Houston79Astro

so play it safe is my answer

7. Houston79Astro

wait im dumb lol i meant to say "pass on a franchise player"

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So Kubiak it?

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We have experience passing up a franchise player. Vince Young anyone? [/end sarcasm]

10. Remii

Remii Member

I don't understand what you are asking. How can drafting a bust not be the worst thing...?

If you pass up on a franchise player but still draft a good player the team can still have success. And there are teams with a franchise player(s) but still don't have success.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Why not both?

Pass on a franchise guy to draft a bust.

Probably more likely to happen than not.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Worst Case Scenario: Playing it safe and passing on a franchise player to draft another player that turns out to be a bust.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Drafting a bust would mean passing on a franchise player right?

Like drafting David Carr over Julius Peppers?

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think it's a slightly more complicated question than it seems.

If we took Clowney, and he was just average, but Bridgewater or Manziel are great, then that royally sucks and is worse than taking a bust. If we draft Bridgewater and he sucks but Manziel is great, then that sucks, but at least we went for it. If we draft one of the two, and neither pan out, then whatever. That's not too bad.

But if we draft Bortles and he sucks while Bridgewater and/or Manziel succeeed, I'll be royally pissed. If it's the other way around, I don't think I'd be that upset, though, for whatever reason.

15. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Having to play the jags twice a year with A, B, or C beating the hell out of us would be much worse than them busting for us.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Taking a bust won't kill you anymore with the rookie salary scale but passing on a franchise player will haunt a franchise.

So I say passing on a franchise player would be worse.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm confused. Wouldn't that be both then? If the guy you pick is a bust, then that implies that some other team got a franchise player that you passed on. I mean, in that scenario, drafting the bust is ALWAYS worse since you, by default, didn't get the franchise player either. You're stacking the deck.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

Honestly, the draft has a lot to do with not only with how good a team's scouts are, but also how lucky you are. It's not like these teams are passing on someone who's going to be a future Super Bowl MVP on purpose. You think the Texans pass on Manziel if he can lead a team of scrubs to a Super Bowl 'cuz of his size? Look at the Seahawks defense, Arian Foster, or even Kurt Warner. You think they go undrafted or picked as low as they were if teams had a second chance again?

But to answer OP's question, drafting a bust is devastating for a franchise, because it delays their plans for a full season and can lead to people losing their jobs over bad picks.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think he wants us to go through the process in a vacuum.

There are layers between bust and franchise player.

So, what's worse:

Drafting the bust: You draft Akili Smith when you could have had Matt Schaub

Passing on the franchise player: You draft Matt Schaub when you could have had Peyton Manning

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

holy crap i dont know what the hell i was trying to say. sorry, i was with my friend Bubba Kush when i did this thread. i think what i was trying to say is, ahh **** it

ok this is what i was trying to get at...i think. Two completely different scenarios. First scenario, you draft a bust. Second scenario, you draft an OK player but passed up on a franchise player like Peyton or Luck or Watt. Which would you rather deal with? Does that make any sense now lol