1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where should you put your money in case the debt ceiling is not raised

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jul 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Should you put your money in stocks? Foreign currencies? Not that there are many choices with Euro and Japan in the tanks already. Gold? Those things are already through the roof. What are some good options to park some money?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Straight cash homey.

3. Northside Storm

Short Treasury bonds, or trade on credit-default swaps on America's sovereign debt.

you'll be contributing to the nascent sense of doom and your own country's downfall, but you might make a pretty penny or two.

Cantor is already on this. http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/06/28/eric-cantor-is-short-treasurys-sort-of/

He's hedging, you can be betting!

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

The first thing that comes to mind is CHF if you are looking for stability.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Member

What is CHF?

I have these in Cash accounts now, but won't debt default, however unlikely, cause dollar to tank and thus making cash less valuable?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I dont think it's a good idea to short treasuries.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Member

As long as they don't default, nothing will happen, but these nuts in congress is making the impossible a possibility, how sad.

8. weslinder

weslinder Member

If we don't raise the debt ceiling, and there's a big treasury sell-off, I'd buy them then. We're not going to default. There might be a bunch of government workers sent home without pay, maybe even some military base closures, but we'll service the debt.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Absolutely. People are crazy if they think there is a chance the gov is going to stop paying the debt.

The idea of defaulting on our debt and not paying social security checks is being used to stir up fear about this date.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Member

But if they do not reach a deal, even if we pay the debt the rating agencies will down grade the US government, which will raise the borrowing rates and cost taxpayers more. If the interest raise just two or three percent, it is going to be more than any savings they are talking about currently (200 billion a year). What a bunch of morons.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I bet you the nothing will happen to our rating when that date comes and goes if there isn't a deal as long as the debt is still being paid.

By the way, I'm not advocating them not making a deal.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

You should bet all your money that Obama loses in 2012. That's the safest place.

13. Northside Storm

What most people don't get though, is that you can still make money if America doesn't default, as long as the probability of default increases. If you think the debt ceiling will not be raised, that might lead to a credit downgrade, and definitely puts the probability of default in the minds of investors, something once unthinkable with the gold standard Treasury bonds. Shorting treasury bonds and embarking on CDS is a smart play if you believe the probability of default will increase in the minds of investors, which you do if you think the debt ceiling is not raised.

Look at Greece for example, CDS contracts are up, and if you had shorted Greek bonds, you'd have made a pretty penny...but there hasn't been a default, just rumors of an impending default.

If the debt ceiling is not raised, tbh, a commodity play is probably not bad either. Go for silver, and check that out, gold has been headline news the last 5 years.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Have you seen the Republican field?

Besides, most people do not view the current problems to be because of Obama.

15. glynch

glynch Member

The debt ceiling will be raised. Wall Street/ Big Biz will call Obama and Boehner and tell them to knock it off; enough is enough.

Is there some way to play the suckers who think Obama and Boehner or Cantor will be allowed to get out of hand?

16. Major

Major Member

I'm not so sure about that - Moody's and company have seemed to get antsy with Europe, and they are now proactively downgrading bonds just for the fun of it, it seems. What they did with some of those countries is just silly - even the ones that are successfully implementing austerity, they just decided that future protests will cause them to stop, and thus their debt might be suspect 3 or 4 years from now, so let's downgrade them now.

I think Moody's has backed itself into a corner with their "review notice" a few days ago. If they don't downgrade them without a deal, they'll be a laughingstock again, and they seem committed to never getting behind the curve anymore.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry. CHF=Swiss Franc. IIRC, you can open a Swiss account and convert online.

The only problem is that it seems that a whole bunch of people have already had this thought, and its become expensive in the last three or four months. That having been said, when gold jumped from like $350/oz to $450/oz, I sold off all my gold mining stocks thinking the market was overheating. Of course, gold spot prices are currently approaching $1600/oz, and I feel like such a dumb-ass that it is too painful to even try and figure exactly how much money I left on the table with that genus move.

#18 Ottomaton, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  19. Northside Storm

CHFs are usually pretty good for stability...but there's a caveat with them right now.

Really, imo, nobody should place a lot of faith in any fiat paper currency, especially given that each state plays with the exchange rate given their own circumstances.

20. greenhippos

greenhippos Member