1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Big Z rank among Cavs/All-Time Bigs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chronz, Dec 3, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Chronz

Chronz Member

Given that Big Z just became the franchises leader in games played, I found tonight fitting to put his historical contributions into perspective. A friend of mine scoffed at the second question, as if Big Z's career hadnt been deserving of provoking such a thought process. But seriously, every player should have a ranking and placement among his peer group, and any true historian/fanatic of the game should raise these questions.

So which Cavs would you rate ahead of Z?

As for the All-Time rankings, Ive gone through the trouble of eliminating all the centers that are clearly ahead of Big Z to create a peer group of players around his stature. Which would you rate ahead of Big Z?

Top Centers Outside the Top25-30 All-Time (ShotClock Era)
    Brad Miller
    Bill Lambeer
    Vlade Divac
    Arvydas Sabonis
    Rik Smits
    Bill Cartwright
    Clyde Lovellette
    Marcus Camby
    Elden Cambell

Is Big Z Top 25, Top 30, or Top40 Material?

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

No offense but i'm with this guy.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Top 40 would be quite a stretch for him imo.

4. Chronz

Chronz Member

facepalm

I will never be more impressed/shocked in my lifetime if you could name 40 better centers

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

me too.

6. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I will start the list of:

1. Cherokee Parks

Now everyone else can post one center until we get the top 40. No repeats! :grin:

I just kid, I am actually a fan of Big Z. He plays hard out there and has a pretty good skill set. Not sure if he is top 40; I would have to think about that. Unfortunately, I don't have that time at the moment, but this is a very intriguing and interesting subject.

7. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

As far as Cavs centers, I would take Brad Daugherty over Ilgauskas easily.

As far as centers all time, I think we could easily come up with a list of at least 35 centers who were clearly better than Ilgauskas. Probably easier to do it by era.

60's (and before): Wilt, Russell, Walt Bellamy, Nate Thurmond, Mikan, Johnny 'Red' Kerr, Neil Johnston, 'Easy' Ed Macauley

70's: Willis Reed, KAJ, Wes Unseld, Bob Lanier, Spencer Haywood, Mel Daniels, Artis Gilmore, Dave Cowens, Bill Walton, Moses Malone, Jack Sikma

80's: Robert Parish, Buck Williams, Bill Laimbeer, Dream, Mark Eaton, Kevin Willis

90's: Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, Mutombo, Brad Daugherty, Shaq

Current: Dwight Howard, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan, Ben Wallace

I'm sure I'm missing names, and I have 35 right here. I also excluded some forward/centers who have not that great claims to being centers. I don't think Big Z would be in the top 40 centers of all time.

8. Vivid

Vivid Member

That's more than 40 just off the top of my head. I'm sure I am missing some of the 70's and 80's guys. He is a 14 and 7 career guy. Good but I'm not sure top 40 good.

Kareem
    Wilt
    Cowens
    Cunningham
    Ewing
    Lucas
    Malone
    Mchale
    Oneal
    Hakeem
    Alonzo
    Parish
    Pettit
    Reed
    Russel
    Schayes
    Thurmond
    Unseld
    Walton
    Oneal
    Howard
    Duncan
    Ming
    Jefferson
    Stoudemire
    Rodman
    Bynum
    Sikma
    Oakley
    Daugherty
    Gasol
    Camby
    Mikan
    Robinson
    Hayes
    Kemp
    Mutombo
    Thorpe
    Sabonis
    Lanear
    Laimbeer
    Wallace
    Gilmore
    Williams

9. Vivid

Vivid Member

Your list makes more sense.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

OK, I'll play... in no particular order...

Here are 50 centers better than Big Z, a nickname originally given to Zelmo Beaty...

Wilt
    Kareem
    Dream
    Russell
    Shaq

Moses
    Walton
    Robinson
    Ewing
    Mikan

Willis Reed
    Bob Lanier
    Dave Cowens
    Nate Thurmond
    Robert Parish

Artis Gilmore
    Spencer Haywood
    Yao Ming
    Dwight Howard
    Wes Unseld

Brad Miller
    Bill Lambeer
    Vlade Divac
    Arvydas Sabonis
    Rik Smits

Ben Wallace
    Mark Eaton
    Tree Rollins
    Mutumbo
    Mourning

Brad Daugherty
    Pat Cummings
    Dave Corzine
    Bill Cartwright
    Camby

Zelmo Beaty
    James Edwards
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Billy Paultz
    Rony Seikaly

Lisa Leslie
    Lauren Jackson
    Alvan Adams
    Emeka Okafor
    Olden Polynice

Jack Sikma
    Roy Tarpley
    Mark West
    Daryl Dawkins
    Kevin Duckworth

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Brad Daugherty >>>>>>> Ilgauskas

I'd even give Larry Nance the nod ahead of Z
    Nate Thurmond only played his last 2 years there, but if he counts, he's at least in the discussion

As far as the entire NBA history? We're talking about a guy that never managed 18 ppg over a season and couldn't win anything even as the second best player on his team. That lands him below Rik Smits, and certainly below anyone in the hall.

12. Chronz

Chronz Member

Eliminate the Hybrid forward-Centers, and guys who have played less than 10 years or so. Mikan doesnt belong on any list, pre shot clock era is an entirely different game. And not different in the sense that the 60's differs from the 00's, but in the sense that its like watching 2 different sports.

But yea Top40 seems pretty hard to justify now

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Thats cold.

David Andersen way better then Big Z. :p

Seriously though, I'd add Okur.

14. Vivid

Vivid Member

First of all, great players aren't defined by positions. Hakeem played the 4 and 5 because he was amazingly versatile. I think most great players have played multiple positions. That is what made them great, their versatility. Should Clyde not count when making a list of all time 2's because he played the 3. Got ya, take away anybody that wasn't so much of a stiff that they could only play the 5 ever. You would have Yao (wait he hasn't played 10 years), Manute, and Bradley. Sweet dude. This is why it is hard to just make a list of great "insert position here." You get into a debate over whether a guy really is a 3 or 4 or whatever. In reality, these superstars are often called to play whatever is needed (Magic played center before). I feel like any list should include all players that have played a good portion at that position. Otherwise you are really on making a sort of "thoroughbred" based argument that just doesn't work for the NBA. The NFL, sure, but not the NBA. How impressed/shocked equals you now?

15. Ketchup&Mustard

Who cares? Seriously

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Any Cavs? You didn't say Centers.. Price, Nance, Daugherty

As an aside, I think Terrell Brandon could have been one of the all time great Cavs if he wasn't stuck behind Price until leaving (and if he wasn't so injury prone)

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I was gonna throw out Smits as a good benchmark for someone who's better than him. Well done

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Brad Daugherty was way better.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

great post

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Most great players are defined by positions. Julius Erving was 3. Oscar was a 1. Jordan was a 2. Wilt, Jabbar, Russell, Shaq, Moses, Ewing, Walton, Mikan, and yes, Olajuwon were centers, not C/PFs.

I don't get the desire by some on this board to make Dream into a 4. He was a 5. THE low post. In his book, he talks about proud he is to be a center. He was always a center... he learned from Moses... he kicked Sampson to the 4. On defense, he protected the paint and on offense, he commanded the low block. That is a what a center does. Yes, he may have guarded a 4, like Malone or Kemp, when they were the opposition's best low post scorer, but Dream was a center, tried and true. While he had the skills to play the PF position, that doesn't mean he was a PF. (And none of the other great centers were PFs either.)