1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you find out what you wanted to do with your life?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Sep 7, 2006.

1. A-Train

A-Train Member

I'm sitting here at work, and even though my job is pretty good, I'm not sure this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. The problem is that I'm 29 and I'm not sure what I want to do. How old is too old for a career change? How old were you when you made a major career shif? I know that people change their careers something like six or seven times in their lives, but it's kind of hard when you don't know what it is you really want to do.

My real dream is to be a stand up comic, but I'm scared of getting up there and choking. I even have some material written down on a notepad that I "practice" when nobody is around. I even practice in the shower, sometimes...(Did I just admit to doing stand up comedy in the shower?? I guess getting my class ring stolen by a stripper isn't far off)

My wife is always telling me I should be a stand up comic, but there's a big difference in joking around with your friends and actually going on stage.

2. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

My brother had a friend that made a career change every seven years. It was his design to always do something different. I think towards the end of the seven years he would begin training for the next one, and if it required extra he would used saved money to study for however much extra time he needed.

Then he would begin his new career.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Disecting a heart in biology. I told myself that this was what I wanted to do with my life.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm 35 and I still don't want to do anything. Doing stuff is overrated.

5. Buck Turgidson

That's awesome, FB.

A-train, 30ish is absolutely not too old to try something new. You only live once, who wants to sit back when they're 80 & say "I wish I'd have..."?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

"I did nothing. I did nothing, and it was everything I thought it would be."

When I auditioned and got the job playing in my band in 2001, I thought I would be able to quit my day job in 3 to 4 years. It's now been 5 years and I would go broke if I quit my day job.

I do have a standing offer to teach private lessons at a studio on the north side of town. They would get me as many students as I want and take care of the parents paying, but of course they would take some off the top. If I did that, along with my band, I could probably make as much money as I make at my day gig, but the stability wouldn't be the same. I need that stability since I'm a home owner. I also need to keep maxing out my 401K (which I couldn't do without my day gig) so I don't have to depend on social security when I retire.

So, I guess I have to keep my day gig as long as they'll have me. If I get laid off, I will probably go back to school (blech) and finish my teacher certification.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm about to turn 30 in 15 days (Clutch, I know exactly what I want for my birthday) and I still have no grasp on what I really want to do with my life, career wise.

It sucks.

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

i know you're a drummer. what other instruments do you play, if any?

(by the way..did your band get the gig at the Texans games?? what came of that??)

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Piano and guitar, although I suck at guitar

No, we didn't spam the Texans website enough.... But we ARE playing live on channel 11 tomorrow morning from 9am to 10am....

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

the "suck at guitar" part isn't exactly a ringing endorsement! :) at some point, i'd like my older son to take guitar lessons. but he's only 6 so we're probably a ways off from that.

cool!!

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I pretty much figured it out last year, at 27. I'll probably stay here for a while (energy trading) unless I get really bored.

12. francis 4 prez

i wish i could do absolutely nothing. there's nothing i want to do with my life. aside from making friends and meeting people from working with people and needing money to pay for stuff, i see no benefit to actually working. i would be perfectly content to sit on my ass everyday and do and accomplish nothing. i happen to be really good at math and school and so i've got a masters in petroleum engineering and, if i ever get a job (24 years and counting, baby!), should make good money, but i don't suspect i'll really find anything interesting or great or fulfilling about the job. nor would i in any job short of possibly coaching a college football team or nba basketball team (but that would require some sort of motivation and/or dedication and/or connections i don't have). any job will just be a way to make money and hopefully make enough that i don't have to do it forever.

not that i hate petroleum engineering or anything, but there's nothing so fulfilling or desirable that would give me a reason to think i'd be happier doing something else.

so basically i don't know what i want to do nor will i ever probably. unless playing sports all the time counts.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You could start him on keybaords.

Mozart's first compositions, a small Andante (K. 1a) and Allegro (K. 1b), were written in 1761, when he was five years old.[1] Around the time when he was five or six years old, he could play the piano blindfolded and with his hands crossed over one another

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Amadeus_Mozart#Family_and_early_years

14. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I'm with francis 4 prez.

There is absolutely nothing that I want to do for work. Work sucks and that's why they call it work. If it was fun, they would call it fun.

I work to make money. I do everything I can to make as much money as I possibly can so that I can have the lifestyle that I have. I like buying ****. I like going places. I like living in a nice area. These are the only reason why I work. If I could be independently wealthy I'd probably travel all day. I'd go to culinary school, not because I want to own a restaurant (that would be too much responsibility) but because I like cooking good ****. I'd probably go to school to learn about other things that interest me and if I didn't like what I was learning, I'd stop. Then I'd take another trip.

I'd probably move to Europe too.

15. across110thstreet

thank God I'm not alone...

28 and still searching...

working with kids has been rewarding, still trying to combine that with an element in entertainment...

I guess my dream job would be hosting a kids game show...

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

i've considered that, actually. good idea.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

I agree. I hate even typing this response. I feel as if I'm doing too much.

Nap time.

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

[​IMG]

19. oomp

oomp Member

About 7th grade. Went against the parents and school and did what I wanted and did ok by myself. In two months I start my new career as a stay at home dad. Can't wait.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

[​IMG]