1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When are we going to start criticizing Rafael Stone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

I’ve posted this elsewhere, but it needs to be reiterated because everything we complain about goes beyond just Silas. And for some reason, I don’t see the same outrage towards Stone.

Stone is the one who hired Silas in the first place. The man responsible for the KPJ point guard experiment. The one who views Nix as a lottery talent. The one who rejected first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon. The one who chose to extend Tate over KJ. The one who botched the Jarrett Allen part of the Harden trade. I mean talk about poor asset management .. Allen without a doubt goes top 10 in a re-draft that year, and we’re on pace to end up with Milwaukee’s 29th pick to show for it. I could go on and on and on (Theis, Wood, Oladipo).

This roster. The playing style. The culture. The lack of accountability and structure. It’s not just Silas. Stone needs to start getting some serious heat, because we look YEARS away from playoff contention, and the OKC debt starts next season. In any other city, Silas and Stone would have been fired. Yet, Stone gets the Morey treatment like he can’t be touched.

But in his infamous words, don’t judge him till 2030.

2. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

roslolian, PWR, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[​IMG]

don grahamleone, D-rock and Nook like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No, I don't believe it does.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Stone said don’t holler at him until 2030

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

im not gonna lie. If Rafel looked like Emma, I’d go easier on him.

DeBeards, D-rock, cmoak1982 and 4 others like this.
  8. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

He's done a good job through the draft, and we have solid building blocks going forward. Out of our holy triumvirate of Silas/Stone/Fertitta I think he's proven himself the most so far.

Not saying that he's been perfect, far from it, but I do think he's the hardest guy to point the finger at

9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I did not know Ric Flair guy (thanks, learned) but this one is certainly Fatih Urek disguised :)

Nook likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

y’all hate Silas, but Stone hired him at a time when we were desperately trying to keep Harden, and Harden definitely didn’t want Silas…Silas isn’t on Fertitta either

Silas is all on Stone

this man really offered Oladipo an extension

11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The extension was tongue in cheek, everyone knew he was going to Miami

Silas accept a job expecting Harden and WB and Wood and he’s now stuck

Tilman wants top 3 picks

Stone wants top 3 picks

nothing Silas can do but work with what he’s (told - KPJ / NIX)

Folks complain but the Rockets offense hasn’t been the problem … it’s the defense and while we have had 3 different (defensive assistant coaches )

I see no difference in the Rockets D, and we won’t til Defensive pass first PG / and EG isn’t playing

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don’t know why we still keep Gordon.

We once kept Danuel House for selling high, but after a long season we cut him finally.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We cannot criticize STONE because when you see Jalen, Jabari, Sengun and Tari every night you cannot be mad at him. Two years ago, did he draft Jalen Sugg or Jalen Green? Jalen Green and this guy is averaging more than 20 points a game. In the same draft, he traded up to get Sengun, who is a 20 and 10 guy (if Silas play him) every night. Jabari was the best pick last year because he is a two-way player, elite shooter and a elite defense stopper. He got KPJ for peanuts and now he is averaging almost 20 points a game (KPJ is not a point guard). He signed Wood for cheap and got a 1st rounder for him. We made the Brooklyn Nets look like a fool and took their picks, and swaps for the next 5 years. Also, this next draft we will either have Wemby, Scoot, Thompson Twins or Nick Smith Jr. Then we have over 60 million dollars for free agency this year. The only negative he have is finding a point guard. KPJ is not a point guard and Nix is not worthy to be a NBA basketball player. We need a point guard, but next year draft we have a chance to get Scoot, Nick Smith Jr or Anthony Black. Also, we still will not trade Gordon. Other than that, our rebuild is better than Pistons, Magic and OKC.

Two years ago, 4 1st round draft picks
    Last year 3 1st round picks
    This year at least 2 1st round picks

xaos, justinh, 13 in 33 and 3 others like this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Stone has done his job.

15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

This dunce really took Oladipo over Jarrett Allen and Levert

And then doubled down and tried to resign him lmao

BallSoHarden, D-rock, txtodd and 4 others like this.
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Stone has accumulated talent, it’s just not winning yet. Now, if he doesn’t start accumulating pieces to make that talent more competitive soon he will deserve his fair share of the blame. If he doesn’t move Gordon, for example, and if he doesn’t eventually get an actual point guard on this roster, or continues to add to the never ending surplus of combo guards that this team seems to always have way too many of, it’ll be open season on him too. For now, I think he gets a pass. Just like Silas. But they both really do need to get it going soon!

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

GM’s aren’t offering 2/50 extensions for the lol’s…he’s lucky Oladipo was still delusional overestimating his own worth

Silas catfished Stone, and he fell for it

Rockets have major issues on both ends of the floor…bottom 5 in both categories the past 3 years

Rockets can make history this year being the worst team in the league for 3 straight years

BallSoHarden, D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coaches can’t offer that contract either - they said that to cover Stone Ass because he realized he was a idiot for that Cle trade.

Silas offense creates open shots - it’s a talent issue in making them and that goes hand in hand with KPJ running point

Attached Files:

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Stone is building a team and you shouldn't even begin to evaluate his performance, at minimum, until the end of the 2025 season.

This will be the year after 4 years of Green / Sengun, 3 years of Bari / Tari, and 2 years of whomever we draft this offseason. Which is too say we will have a good idea of how he drafted.

He will also have had a chance to spend money in free agency and actually build a team, not just collect assets.

Like it or not, we haven't even finished tearing down the remnants of the old team yet.

Rebuilds take time.

20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I want someone to name one great move stone has made. Taking the consensus 2nd best prospect with the number 2 pick in the draft does not count

D-rock and Ankara1923 like this.