1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's with these weak 3rd quarters?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eric Riley, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Member

12/23 vs ORL - 13 pts
    12/26 vs NJ - 13 pts
    12/27 vs CLE - 15 pts
    12/29 (today) vs NOH - 13 pts

For the past 4 games, we haven't been coming out of the locker room strong. I understand the back-to-backs have had an affect on our team, but what exactly is Adelman telling his guys at halftime? Or is it just the other teams doing a better job of readjusting? Is it even something to be concerned over?

2. kikimama

kikimama Member

Other team probably gives a "this is the Houston Rockets, w/o Yao and TMac. we should be blowing them out!" speech. Of course, it never works out that way.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

We cool down after the 2nd quarter.

We need a player, preferably an all-star, who starts the team off on the right foot entering the second half.

4. jsonic6

jsonic6 Member

Our 3rd qtr collapse always stresses me out...

5. RyanB

RyanB Member

teams readjust

6. michaelshl

michaelshl Member

maybe it's the pattern how we win the game excitingly

7. redao

redao Member

Scola's fatigue.

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

It's been a problem for several seasons now. But you gotta love it when the zebra's are on your side!

9. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Man i made a thread named The 3rd Quarter is the Problem, way before this, like after first few games of season, and got no replies. I find that amusing.
    But yeah, it's been like that since forever.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The other team is pissed that they are losing to a no star team.. so they come out of the lockers a head full of steam

while our team is happy and complacent that we are winning without stars and come out with no energy

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

We get lazy. This is the time where everyone kinda takes a break from hustling so they can get jet up for the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, this is where the opponent always catches up to us if we're leading as well...

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I think there are several factors but one thing that stood out tonight was that Hayes was getting open looks to start the 3rd and was missing fairly easy shots.

Hayes is awesome. He's our rock but he has got to be able to finish those easy baskets.

He probably left 6 points on the table in the first few minutes of the quarter.

#12 BrooksBall, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  13. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

who cares about the 3rd .........4th is more important and Rockets have big 4th quarter games

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

We do it on purpose.

Without a challenge we lose interest. Plus, if we swept the whole season and won the championship, then teams would realize they could cobble together a team of MEN for $30 mil or less and all the divas and deals would be gone from the NBA. Stern can't allow that. It's a sinister, ingenius conspiracy.

Go Rockets, GO MEN!

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

As much as it sucks, I'll take the "Weak Third Quarter" to the "Impending Collapse Fourth Quarter" we used to see so often. I used to hate that feeling of "uh, oh, here it comes" that seemed to be the norm until recently.

16. alethios

alethios Member

spot on! I like how we're handling the 4th nowadays. But it could also coincide with the absence of a certain ball stopper diva.

17. saleem

saleem Member

Does that mean that the other players should slow down too? Luis is a factor,but not the entire reason by any means.

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't see it as a big concern, I think it's just that we don't go to guy when we cool down, I know that doesn't look good, but we won two of those games. If we played well in those 3 quarters i see 4 game winning streak...

19. LCII

LCII Member

Once the Rockets get Budinger back, I think 3rd quarters will not be that big of a problem...right now it's just due to having to depend on Ariza for 40 minutes a night.

20. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

They're drinking Anti-Space Jam water.