1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the big deal with banning abortion in non rape cases?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

History, read it.

apollo33 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I just donated $25 to Planned Parenthood in your name @Senator .

JayGoogle, Rashmon, apollo33 and 6 others like this.
  4. Senator

Senator Member

Explain, this is a discussion forum. Birth control pills create so many health problems for girls in addition to short term thrills for attention.

It's misogynistic to force women to take birth control.

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

No one is forcing women to take birth control.

sirbaihu, JayGoogle, apollo33 and 3 others like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because ALL abortions are situational. If you are a wingnut which sounds like you are, you probably believe godless women all across America just check in for their weekly abortion, and high five their doctor on the way out the door.

The truth is ALL abortions... again... are situational. I can speak from experience that I nearly lost my wife and my child during pregnancy, and there were moments when decisions were being made on the fly to save my wife. One of those potential situations was brought to my attention that a decision might need to be made in regards to my baby.

Now... can you imagine at that moment the doctor coming in and saying "sir right now we are going to have to refuse to give your wife this treatment because of the ruling of 2021 Trump vs Planned Parenthood" which states we cannot legally act in any way that would terminate a pregnancy therefore your child's life overules life saving measures for your wife???

I thank God every day that I am lucky enough to have my full family in tact, but I'll be damned if anyone would have denied me, my family, and the doctors themselves to make the best possible decisions in that ICU bed.

So to answer your question... "Whats the Big Deal??".... EVERYTHING about keeping the government out of abortion decisions is a big F-ing deal.

JayGoogle, foh, Genesis and 8 others like this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Republicans like freedom, right?

Not sure why they think that in this one instance, we should be able to tell women what to do with their bodies?

I'm not saying that you should be able to abort up to birth, but what is so wrong with aborting during the first trimester in certain situations? Especially when the baby has problems, such as not having a proper brain, or other unsurvivable circumstances.

Jayzers_100 and sirbaihu like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

y'all qaida

R0ckets03 likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Dead women and unwanted children are not great for society.

10. dobro1229

The only freedom they care about is the freedom to enforce their batsh$t crazy views on everyone else at all costs. That’s not freedom... that’s tyranny and the coddling of the apathy of the ignorant.

arno_ed and malakas like this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

BS. If you or anyone else believed abortions were situational, the debate would not be binary.

If you believe Barret shouldn't be appointed because she is Pro Life, you are saying the very exact opposite of what youre touting.

Yes, I agree. Abortions are situational. However anytime I try to have a rational conversation with a pro choice person and ask them where they draw the line, it always ends up somewhere in the ball park of a non commital answer of "well late term abortions are very rare". I get the same BS response from pro life people when it comes to rape and incest.

The reality, like all things political, the majority fall somewhere in the middle. But Americans find it more fun to go around vilifying people instead of having an intelligent nuanced conversation on said topic at hand.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

There's a good back-and-forth with Pete Butigieg when questioned by Chris Wallace at a town hall hosted by Fox:
    https://www.newsweek.com/pete-butti...lace-go-viral-i-trust-women-draw-line-1538231

"Do you believe, at any point in pregnancy, that there should be any limit on a woman's right to an abortion?" Wallace asked.

"I think the dialogue has gotten so caught up on when you draw the line that we've gotten away from the fundamental question of who gets to draw the line. And I trust women to draw the line," Buttigieg said.

"You would be okay with a woman well into the third trimester to obtain an abortion?" Wallace asked.

"These hypotheticals are set up to provoke a strong emotional reaction," Buttigieg said.

"These aren't hypotheticals — there are 6,000 women a year who get an abortion in the third trimester," Wallace said.

"That's right, representing less than one percent of cases a year," Buttigieg replied. The data from 2019 appears to support his claim, according to a Los Angeles Times report.
    "So, let's put ourselves in the shoes of a woman in that situation. If it's that late in your pregnancy, that means almost by definition you've been expecting to carry it to term. We're talking about women who have perhaps chosen the name, women who have purchased the crib, families that then get the most devastating medical news of their lifetime, something about the health or the life of the mother that forces them to make an impossible, unthinkable choice. That decision is not going to be made any better, medically or morally, because the government is dictating how that decision should be made."

Mayor Pete is making the conservative argument here.
    Seems to me, conservatives like to make a lot of noise about individual responsibility and small government, but when it comes to women's bodies it goes out the window.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Health. Living.

It’s just a clump of cells at some point.

Life is tough and gov that doesn’t make it easy doesn’t have a said so on forcing people to bring that lump of cells to life. At minimum, if gov is to force people choice, they are fully responsible for that choice and shouldn’t be hand-off, saying good luck afterward.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

you already know this but a pro choice male on a basketball bbs wont be the one to talk you either. talking womens issues on a guy website is as pertinent as supreme court deciding on a womans body. roe v wade a done deal yet repug logic will find a way?

i believe main stream pro choice to not be late term but thats just me talking.

anyway.. abortion is just one component...

drawing the line to not include late term is not that hard ..no one wants to kill a live baby.

remember big picture this is about installing an ISIS like christian state and controlling womens bodies like al qaida- taliban - saudi arabia

15. dobro1229

Typical SpaceGhost response.

You call my opinion Bull Sh$t, and then you repeat what I said...that Abortions are situational.... but add in some "I'm smarter than both sides yada yada".

This is also a response you put out there where you attack me for not treating the issue as a "nuanced conversation" where I just gave a very personal experience that I frankly don't owe to give to assholes like you.

So F- off with your "BS... but I'm going to repeat your point and claim it as my own".... You are absolutely the worst.

joshuaao, R0ckets03 and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to consider why a woman would get a late term abortion. Is her life in danger? Does the child have severe defeats or deformities?

The point of the pro-choice movement is that the woman should be the moral authority on these decisions, not the gov't.

17. Space Ghost

Incorrect.
    I was making a point that while you are giving a nuanced position, you're one of the first people to make any political debate a binary discussion, including this topic. If I was to say I was Pro-Life and I chose not to provide any further information, you would label me a neo-Christian who is trying to turn the US into a Christian Utopia. Stop pretending you're being an open-minded moderate.

18. Space Ghost

And you're the epitome of my example. You refuse to take a stance on what society would call moral and instead defer to womans moral authority. At what point does the 'clump of cells' register to right of life? Does a woman have a right to call it a clump of cells even if its laying on the table with the umbilical cord attached? That is the crux of the debate; When does the clump of cells have a right to life?

And this is not just a womans issue. There is the father to consider. He has just as much of a right to dispose of his duty to the clump of cells as a woman.

JumpMan likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because if we outlaw "non-rape" abortion doesn't mean there won't be abortions. It will just mean that those abortions will go back to the black market and unregulated and dangerous.

I personally have my own moral reservations regarding abortion and thankfully one as a guy have never had to worry about carrying a pregnancy and have never gotten anyone pregnant in a situation where might have to consider that. My own view is that we should be addressing the root causes of why people might want an abortion. We need to make it easier to raise children and we need to make contraceptives more available and encourage safe sex.

I'm not going to demonize those who for moral reason are pro-life but I will criticize those who call themselves "pro-life" but don't do anything or are even opposed to measures to reduce the reasons why people might want abortions.

joshuaao, R0ckets03 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are asking a question that no one can answer easily as what constitutes a human life is not a scientific definition but a personal one.

For me, it's when brain activity starts which is midterm but I understand that not everyone agrees with me. It's not a refusal to take a stance, it's an understanding that my personal opinions only apply to me, and not to others and for example, you.

jiggyfly and Space Ghost like this.