1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you guys think of trying to get Darius Miles after this year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jevjnd, Jan 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think that it's time for him to have a break-out season, and I think that a player like this is exactly what we need at that small forward. Jim Jackson off of the bench would be a great asset to us, and I think that Miles is capable of being a great defender. I think that it's an honest option of ours this off-season, what do you guys think?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Poor 2pt shooter. Poor 3pt shooter. Poor FT shooter. Turnover prone.

No thanks.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree that Darius could be an elite defender but he is as wild and undisciplined on offense as any player in the game.

He has all the tools and I would take a chance with him if the price was right but I would not offer him any more than we offered James Posey last year.

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

That's the thing I think that he can be had for the right price, only averaging 24 mpg, and less than 2 to's per game. I realize that sometimes he can be be erratic, but I honestly feel that it's time for a break out from him, I also know that he's not the best perimeter shooter, but this year (and I know that none of us are Cavs fans), I have been following him, and if you watch their games you can see honest effort to become better. Sometimes a change of scenery is what a player needs to break out, and I think that he would fit very well with our team. We do have enough peices so that we could work him into the rotation, and I think that things would continue smoothly. One should also note that even though he gets only 25 mpg that he is a much-needed slasher who can finish and gets less turnovers that any of our primary offensive weapons.

5. fietguy

fietguy Member

darius, has no skills...

i think i can say that without exaggerating...

bad spacing, doesn't know how to box out...

funky azz jumper...dont know if he has assists...

pass...

when i compare yao to him i really think, why does yao get bashed at all?

why don't people bash darius and say he is a bust, which he is, high draft pick, he's a larue martin...

6. Random.

Random. Member

I really don't think we need another athletic player with lots of potential who is a poor shooter. That is basically what Steve and Mobley are, great athletes, poor shooters. Also, he can't even get 30+ minutes a night for the Cavs, and has already had problems with drugs, why would we want him playing over Jim Jackson, who at least has solid fundementals, if a bit old, and is still a very useful starter.

I'm tired of young players with "potential," they are often what makes the NBA unwatchable these days (another thread in itself!) we just need some unathletic players who can pass and shoot well, but without flare. The NBA is full of tons of young "potential" players who many teams bank on to break out, but it's rare when one does.

7. sup123

sup123 Member

uh no..he is to busy acting.

8. tozai

tozai Member

Agree with everything, but Mobley can shoot. Anyway, Miles is horribly overrated or was overrated. People are still hoping he'll turn out, but he's a bust compared to expectations and draft pick.

As much as I hate to say it, we need some Utah Jazz style players. It'd be awesome if we could have someone like Harpring or Kirilenko.

9. drpepper

drpepper Member

I've actually thought about this too.

But, actually I think we could achieve the same type of player (long arms, 6'8"-6'9", very athletic, terrific defender) at the 3 with a decent J and a whole lot cheaper in Rod Grizzard.

Now Q. Richardson is someone I'd like to see in a Rocks uni.

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. Double no.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not only is he a poor shooter but he has no ball handling skills either. I would pass up on him even if we could get him cheaply.

12. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

he looks like a decent ball boy.. long arms.. he can pass the towel around.. we'll take him! :eek:

13. Donatello

Donatello Member

I think we should get his team-mate, Carlos Boozer.

Boozer is strong at defense, yet capable of knocking down J's - perfect fit for the Rox.

14. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

There are very few good small forwards in this league. I really think the great small forward died when Pippen's career went downhill. Darius Miles has the assets to be a great small forward, but it doesn't look like he's going to get there because he's stopped improving. We need good jump shooters, and Jim Jackson's player great at the 3, though a little undersized, Miles isn't the answer.

15. ckfol

ckfol Member

That's not true, SF are the most readily available. Jamal Mashburn, Keith Van Horn, Glenn Robinson, Stephen Jackson, Antawn Jamison, Paul Pierce, Rashard Lewis, Peja, Ron Artest, Mike Miller, Spreewell.......Almost everyteam has a good SF.

16. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Actually he can handle the ball...thats why Paul Silas had him at point before Lebron. I wouldn't take a chance at him though.

17. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

I'm looking for a great small forward like Grant Hill before he was injured.

Mashburn is okay but he's a volume shooter.
    Van Horn -- soft.
    Glenn Robinson -- doesn't rebound.
    Stephen Jackson -- not good off the spurs... actually only average on the spurs.
    Antawn Jamison -- one dimensional offensive player
    Paul Pierce -- okay... but I see him more as a SG
    Rashard Lewis -- not dominant day to day
    Peja -- forgot about him. but I would like more defense and rebounding even at the cost of few ppg
    Ron Artest -- may be the best SF in the league right now
    Mike Miller -- c'mon he's an average player
    Sprewell -- clearly a SG. what does he get? 4 rpg?

I mean on this list only Pierce, Peja, Artest, and maybe Lewis would make the Rockets a better team.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

mmmmm Shawn Marion.

19. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

20. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

A)How you talk all around and leave Marion off the list is beyond me.

B) Disagree about AJ. First of all, for a sf, he's a great rebounder. Secondly, he totally gets his points within the flow of an offense, which is an invaluable attribute to have. He's just not good enough to be a Number 1 guy as he's been asked to be most of his career. He'd make the Rockets a lot better.

C) Maybe Lewis? I think you;re getting carried away. You think the difference between Jackson and Lewis is touch and go?

D0 What about Kirelenko?