1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What were you doing when...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Lance Berkman hit the slam:

I was returning from church after driving most of the night from a gig and staying awake from the adrenalin in anticipation of game 4. In the moments before, I had this sinking feeling in my stomach and had already started to make plans with my brother-in-law as to where we were going to watch game 5. Bases loaded, Berkman at the plate, I stood in front of my TV with my arms folded in only my church shirt and my boxers...Berkman hit it. I'd never talked about sex with my teenage daughter (my wife's job) but there I was, humping the air like it was my favorite pillow during my horny highschools. My daughter was aghast, I was elated, my wife wanted Berkman to hit another one.

Brad hit the HR:

You're gonna think I am lying but I was on the phone with my Dad and asked him to image what it would do for Brad's year if he tied it up. He has Time -Warner cable and I have the Dish network and his feed is about a second ahead of mine...

Me- "...Yeah Pop, Ausmus needs to do something, because although he's put together a good second half, he..."

Pop- "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Me- "What? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

When Luke came close-

My wife was sitting on the floor alphabetizing the DVD's near the TV. As she glanced at the TV she said she'd never heard of Luke Scott. She is not a real fan but I think that she sensed the pressure and tried to distract me. "He's a rookie, was added to the roster over this black dude because of his power...yeah right".

Honestly, when Luke hit it, I grabbed her from behind and leaned with the line of the ball until it had landed, we ended up on the floor. Even though I heard 'foul ball', I couldn't help but focus in on and BELIEVE in the one fan near the foul pole that was doing the same spinning motion with his finger as the member of the umpiring crew did after Brad’s blast. Daym.

Clemens-

When Roger retired, I watched his last pitch and told my wife to pay attention because we had just seen the last pitch of the greatest pitcher ever. Little did I know then that he would be the last pitcher in the greatest game ever. He was my savior during my mid life crisis, I was 40 and tripping, he was 45 and killin um, he is an inspiration, hopefully I can tell him that someday.

The 18th-

"PROBLEM? WE HAVE A HOUSTON!" is something I've been trying to get out there since hurricane Katrina. I've been daydreaming about 40 thousand fans wearing the t-shirt... ESPN there... Joe Morgan saying, what a slogan! Problem we have a Houston indeed.

I actually had church at 6pm and I play the organ so I HAD to be there. As we left the house (5:40) I started to stress out about how selfish I was for being annoyed with the fact that I had to go to church during THIS game, wouldn't God understand? (5:50) I was a few minutes from the church listening to Milo and Ash. Ash had just had a Lidgesque slip of the tongue as he said "****ty" instead of "city", Milo didn't let him off the hook. They joked around about the slip and were surprisingly comfortable with it, it was good stuff. Hope this isn't too dramatic but I was thinking about how I grew up on Milo and how cool it would be to hear his call live if we actually won it. When I was a kid I was scared to sleep alone and my dad would let me listen to the Stros or Rockets so I could get to sleep. Sometimes I wish Gene Petersen would do the Rockets games because I like him so much better. But no one can get me fired up like he does during an Astros game and today was no different. (5:57) Two blocks from the church, all I heard was...

Chris Burke...game...fans...Beaumont affiliate...AND IT'S A DRIVE!

I started blowing my horn and scared this Mexican family driving next to me. I couldn't believe it! I wanted to do my pillow pump but didn't have room. I got to church and it had barely begun, my Pastor had heard and gave me a wink and a head nod. He believed in my "Problem? We have a Houston!" concept, and now maybe because of the greatest baseball game ever played, someone else will too.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Watching the Texans and then Cowboys because the Astros don't have any African Americans. :)

3. Toast

Toast Member

When Lance Berkman hit the grand slam, I was on the phone calling my sucker friends who opted to go to the Texans game.

It was awesome.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

was there with my son....having a blast!!!

5. Another Brother

Nice. ;)

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I actually was just at home watching and then I went to a Church Bazar in the 11th inning. I missed Berkman's Hr because I was flipping back and forth with the Texans but saw Ausmus's. Ausmus maybe a weak hitter, but dude is clutch.

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Was there with my wife on our 1 yr anniversary (she suggested the game, what a wonderful lady :D ). We were on the upper deck for the grand slam and standing room only down the third base line for the rest.

8. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

For all those events - bout 2 feet away from my TV watching it with my boys. We had on our rally caps, rotated seats every two innings for good luck, and went wild. Damn that was a bad ass game.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I was glued to the sofa for the whole thing, then started fielding nonstop phone calls from all over the country as soon as Burke hit his HR.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was in 131, row 34, seat 13, jumping my fat ass up and down for all three HRs. Got chills when Roger came in and I immediately looked at the television close to us to see how close Luke's foul ball was to being fair.

WHAT A GAME!!!!

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With West Coast timing and a late night from before, I Was tired. My wife and had wanted to go to breakfast, but the game was on. About the 6th inning we figured we could wait until 1pm because we had an ihop discount coupon for after 1pm. My wife was in the room on phone with her sister who lives in NY. Bases were loaded, and I laughed to myself for being silly and thinking about how a HR would put the stros within one run.

Then Berkman hit it. I stated yelling GRAND SLAM!!!! GRAND SLAM!!!! over and over again. My sister-in-law heard on the other end of the phone and started laughing then she and my wife started talking about baseball. My wife got off the phone and was watching the game, pacing, and getting nervous.

Ausmus hit the ball and I didn't know if it was HR or not, until I saw the ump circling his arms. My wife and I started hugging each other, high-fiving, kissing, and I did a couple of victory laps around my mother-in-law's living room.

About the 13th inning my wife made hot and spicy Ramen noodles to hold us over until the game ended. We were starving.

When Clemens came in we my wife kept talking about how amazing it is that he was going on two days rest at his age, and that somehow his body must have been made especially for pitching. She also said that if the Natural had been about a pitcher it could have been like Roger Clemens. Then when Christ Burke hit the homer she said she felt like crying, and I was just jumping up and down.

12. dupong

dupong Member

Watched first 3 innings while eating lunch at Bennigan's galleria.
    Headed home (sinus headache problem), watched 6-8 (top half),
    turned off the TV aftter the kid McCann belted one out, went to sleep (sinus headache too much).

Woke-up a little after 5, turned on my pc to check FFL scores, surprised to see the game is on the bottom of the 15th inning.

Turned on the TV, watched 16-18 innings, surprised my sinus headache is gone. Turned on the radio for post-game show, tried to call, busy lines.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

When Berkman hit the Grand Salami I was jumping up and down Screaming.

I heard the Ausmus bomb while driving from the airport in College Station, I had to pick up my sis.

I saw the Burke HR on tv.

14. Another Brother

I love that! :D

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Lance Berkman hit the slam:

Playing Star Wars Rogue Squadron on Gamecube. I had the game on in the other room but I missed it. I admit, I didn't think we would come back at all and played videos games while checking on the score.

Brad hit the HR:

Watching game again in living room in amazement.

When Luke came close-

same as above

Clemens-

watching in living room / outside bar realizing I was witnessing history

The 18th-

I was moving crap around my living room and still putting stuff back together from from Rita. I was watching game, but I needed to move around.

Chris Burke...game...fans...Beaumont affiliate...AND IT'S A DRIVE!

Watching with wife outside on my patio bar tv. I knew it was gone when it left the bat.

16. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Sitting in section 134 jumping up and down with my little brother, my aunt and uncle. That was FUN

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I actually watched innings 1-11. Then I had to make it to a round of golf, so I Tivo'd the game.

When I reach golf course 30 minutes later they are showing the game in the clubhouse. Bases loaded Braves, 14th inning or so. I say, "We're screwed, and quickly leave so I will see the suspense on my Tivo later."

After golf, I rush back to my car, make sure, no radio or outside communication can be heard. I ignore 3 phone calls. I go home, and to my surprise the Tivo has recorded another 2.5 hrs worth of game after I left at the 11th inning.

I watch inning after inning, the TIVO is running out of tape, and I'm like, "oh crap" I gonna miss the ending.

Exactly one minute before the Tivo coverage runs out Burke hits the HR. This was at 9PM.

I miss the celebration, but got to see the HR. Single greatest Astro game ever watched, or Tivo'd at least.

18. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I sat in my really hot car w/out any AC listenin to the game from the beginning to right after LaRoche's grand slam and i was pretty pissed. We went home and I watched the rest at my house and when in the 9th when we needed a run, I ran to my room and put on my astros' shirt and then ausmus hit that home run!!! I seriously thought in the 18th clemens was gonna do a homerun the way he was swinging but burke did it right after. This was in my parents' bedroom by the ways.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't even notice that it was a true accident fruedian typing slip.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Started watching the game from the beginning. After the Braves went up 4-0, I got pissed and actually started to *gasp* watch the Texans game. I flipped back and forth for the next few innings. I saw us make it 5-1, only to see Wandy give up the HR soon after that to put me in an even worse mood.

I don't remember when I switched it back, but I know I saw the entire 8th inning because I remember them taking Hudson out and feel happy about that. Lance came up and I thought "We'd be right back in this thing if Lance goes deep", but I knew that was just a pipe dream. Well, Lance goes yard and I start jumping around my living room, high fiving my dogs because they were the only ones there. When Ausmus hit the ball deep the next inning and I finally realized it was a HR, I went nuts. Opened up the back door and just started yelling.

The game went on, and for many innings I wouldn't allow myself to urinate because I thought I had the winning urine in my bladder since we had tied the game with it in there. I had to go really bad last year during one of the Rockets games, but I held it and eventually they won it. Some of you that were in the chat room with me back then may remember that. My wife came home around the 13th inning, and I finally had to go out of fear of pissing on myself. She started watching the game with me around the 16th innings. Once Burke went deep I just started jumping in circles, kissing my wife, kissing my dogs....GREAT MOMENT! :D