1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do with the pick this year ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brian_chapman, Mar 8, 2010.

?

What to do with Hayes/lotto pick/Bosh this summer ?

1. resign Hayes,let lotto pick sit on bench for a couple of years

10 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. let Hayes walk, hope lotto pick pans out to be Yao/Scola backup

36 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. resign Hayes,trade lotto pick entirely to stay under luxury tax

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. gut the team for Bosh (brooks,lottos,scola)

51 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

Using Clutches dollars and sense I see a problem with minutes for a lottery big man.

Morey has said we are resigning Scola. We have Hill,Scola,Anderson,Yao,Jeffries under contract next year. Going for it all next year, plus Rick uses a 7-8 man rotation.

Lets say the Rockets have the 12th pick in draft (currently 14th). Do you use a guaranteed contract 1st rounder at 12 and put him ahead of Hill in the rotation? Is that fair to Hill? Smart money sense?

Hayes is currently the captain of the team, all the players and coaches love him. He has a team option. Do you pay him that amount to be a 3rd string center behind yao/lotto pick?

Right now it seems next years rotation is:
    center:yao/hayes/anderson
    pf :scola/hill/jeffries

Doesnt seem to be to many minutes for a lotto pick does there?

Do the Rockets go over the lux tax just resign Hayes? Same goes for a 12th pick that could be a bench warmer .

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Definitely have to pick a PF or Center position to back up Yao or Scola. I heard there are a lot of good PFs coming out the draft this year.

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

There are tons of legitimate Bigs in this draft and I would be surprised if Morey doens't go in that direction. Its a cheap way to pick up a 5.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is a Big man draft so we have to grab a 7' footer.

5. tinywang

tinywang Member

Of that list, I only see ONE real center.

hayes is undersized, andersen can't post all that well.

i say draft C who we can play back up for now and then develop into starter once yao's time is done.

package a deal for bosh including scola/andersen and whomever

c:yao/drafted c
    pf:bosh/hill

hayes being 3rd string c or pf.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, the problem with even trying to figure this kind of thing out is we have no idea what's going to happen. There is really no way of knowing exactly what Morey plans to do - and even he can't be certain what he will accomplish.

In short:

We don't know who may demand a sign and trade in the offseason.
    We don't know who all may get unexpectedly put on the trading block.
    We don't know who Morey would be targeting of those available.
    We don't know where we're going to end up drafting.
    We don't know who may get packaged and sent out in a trade.
    We don't know who is going to go where in the draft and nobody does. Hell, could be a projected top five pick gets diagnosed with life threatening cancer tomorrow. Or another one is hit by a bus. And of course, there are always those whose stock shoots through the rough during March Madness.

We just have no idea what will happen. Hell, Jordan Hill could have some miraculous turning point where everybody says "He just gets it now" before the season is over and then we won't even need another big man. (I wouldn't count on that, but anything COULD happen)

So basically, I'll sit back and trust that Morey has it all under control. He has yet to let me down.

7. tinywang

tinywang Member

I agree 100%. But it's fun to speculate.

8. rockets934life

If Bosh doesn't happen, because i'll think our pick will need to be moved for that trade to happen, then trade up for Cousins to be the center of the future.

9. LifeisButaDream

Draft Greg Monroe :eek:

10. No Worries

No Worries Member

Hayes stays.

And ask Toronto why player fascinates them the most @ 14.

11. thumbs

thumbs Member

Big men almost always take a few years to develop. Since there are no Dwight Howards in this draft, big men like Aldrich, Cousins, Whiteside, Alabbi, et al can be brought along slowly -- although limiting Yao's time will not only prolong his career but also will develop the new big man more quickly and effectively. However, since we are thinking big man, Morey probably will draft the smallest munchkin he can find.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I wish I was good enough to write that, but <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=182713">that was by BimaThug</a>.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hmmm, that is a question. We don't need depth, we have young players at nearly every position, so its not like "oh this guy is gonna retire soon, we need a replacement." We have alot of PFs, alot of SFs, no holes at the SG. I say we have these options:
    1)trade it for future picks
    2) trade for another player
    3)draft another point guard(not the ideal situation, but works if AB or lowry gets injured)
    4)Draft a back-up center for yao who eventually starts
    5)draft the best player we can get regardless of position

14. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

The only way I want Bosh is if we sign him for at least 5 years. I don't want the 2-3 years contract, where he walks afterwards.

The only way we gut this team is if we're sure Bosh is going to be with us for a long time (at least 5 years.)

15. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

No kidding!

BimaThug definitely does his research well.

16. BasketballReasons

I don't think we will need to drop Brooks+Scola+Lotto to get Bosh.

Morey isn't r****ded, he won't trade all that for him.

Scola+Lotto+Hill+Ariza/Battier should be enough.

Morey always said he has a price range, and if you exceed it he won't deal with you and will just forget the deal. I doubt he'll gut the roster considering how Brooks has been playing lately.

17. LifeisButaDream

With the kind of deals guys here are throwing out, you would think we where trading for lebron. :confused:

18. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

We are moving on up people!!! Moving up in the lottery. We moved up 2 spots since last game. Which is 12th. I hope that some how we can get the 10th pick, cause usually a top 9 guy slips there so....

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Humn, Clutch, I think someone, subtly, stuck a knife in your back, and is twisting it veeery slowyly.

j/k guys, lol.

20. platinum

platinum Member

The best solution: trade DM for LB James.