1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the heck happened to Brook Lopez's rebounding?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daeyeth, Jan 27, 2011.

1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

How is he getting worse at rebounding, not better? He's killing my fantasy team. Last year he averaged 8.6 rebs a game and had a double-double half the time. This year? 5.8 and one DD total. The Chuck-wagon averages more rebs than him man. Brook's still scoring but I mean, cmon, 5.8? That's garbage for a 7 footer who gets 35 minutes a game.

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I know what you mean, but its seems like the dude is a completely different player. His boards are obviously down, but even his FG % is down...

I dunno if they are forcing the issue or what

3. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

The injuries are obviously worse than being let on...

4. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Quite a soft player, who is pretty overrated.
    Go look at some NJ forums, they don't overrate him at all, would prob trade him if they could.

5. roksoer

roksoer Member

Kris humphries is actually a great rebounder on that team so he gets most of the boards, doesn't mean that lopez is doing anything wrong, him blocking out players is probably the reason why he gets so little boards, I'm guessing it's the same as in minnesota with miličić and love

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

From the little I've seen, I get the impression he thinks he doesn't have to work hard anymore because he's not a rookie.

Surprising because I didn't think Avery would allow this to go on.

5.8 rebounds is horrendous. It's really so so incredibly bad.

I can understand his FG% going down due to being a bad team, but his rebounding should be the same or up.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Maybe its because Avery is a terrible coach and his players tune him out.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Whether Avery can coach or not is not a good excuse for a 7 footer averaging 30+ minutes to only get 10 rebounds in a game twice so far this season.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This, kinda. While the Nets would be crazy to trade him, Brook Lopez is very overrated on this forum. Part of my problem is he never seems to play that well the few times I watch the Nets. He puts his engine in neutral quite often. With his skills and size, he would be a star just by playing hard every game.

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had him on the Fantasy League last year and he played big. I have him this year and he just pisses me off.

I don't know what his problem is. I know he doesn't care to much for Avery but there's no excuse for him to suck on the defensive end like he has this year. He can't rebound and he isn't even blocking shots like he did in his first two years. Whether he likes the coach or not, you have to play hard and he doesn't. No 7 footer with his skill set should have a problem grabbing 10 rebounds a game and getting at least two block shots.

Complete weak sauce on his part.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Johnson hates him.

12. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He's soft, injury-prone, and happens to play along side Kris Humphries, who's been going hard in the paint this season.

KH grabs close to 10 boards/game.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He wasn't a good rebounder last year either. 21 years old, 7 feet tall, and he only had a 13.5 Reb%. For reference, 6'6 Chuck Hayes who can barely get off the ground has never had less than 15.3 Reb% in a season.

But does it matter? As a team, New Jersey is a much improved rebounding team.

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I have a feeling people are going to make excuses for his poor rebounding his whole career. He's horrible and doesn't look like he cares to put in the effort to try and improve.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I have no idea why a team hired Avery after the entire Mavs roster basically quit on him.

Micromanaging know it all who is a control freak and who is always having issues with players.

16. AggieRocketsFan

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He used to play many of his minutes next to bad rebounding Yi Jianlian. Now he's playing next to Ryan Kardashian, who has banged the board hard. Kardashian steals a few more rebounds a game from Lopez compared to Yi for sure.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Haven't seen those issues with the Nets this year. Even Devin Harris(no one suffered more under Avery than he did) is on board with Avery this season and is Avery's link to the players. I don't think Avery has anything to do with Brooks weak rebounding numbers. Kris Humphries has more to do with that than Avery but it's still inexcusable for Brook to only have two games with double figure rebounds.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Quite right. I remember one poster thinking I was nuts for saying Noah and Lopez were at the same level last year, as Lopez "is obviously a future all star and the next Tim Duncan".

I think Lopez is one of the most skilled big men in the league, however he also happens to be one of the most unathletic big men in the league. To me, this means he should always put out 100% effort on the floor as he's not talented enough to just coast on his athleticism. When he's not focused, he disappears completely because he's just too soft and slow to bang with the bang boys down low.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I dont know how many of you have actually watched Brook Lopez but man he does a good Yao Ming impersonation with his speed and running style. He's very fundamentally sound but he cant even come close to the athleticism of a guy like Tim Duncan. Lopez just looks really slow all the time so I'm not shocked he isnt a great rebounder.