1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What offers RFA Chandler Parson might receive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Match or No Match

Poll closed Jul 10, 2014.
  1. match any offer (max 14 starting)

27.7%
  2. match only if less than 12 starting

72.3%
  1. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Parsons does not have to accept an offer sheet. I thought that the Rocks would only be forced to match if he signs an offer sheet from elsewhere. If you meant he would sign the highest offer sheet, then we are in agreement.

2. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

IIRC, the team has 7 days to match.

3. meh

meh Member

Apparently we are talking about different things. You've obviously read too much of the national media crap about how Parsons will tie up our money. This has been debunked by numerous posters(including BimaThug) here.

Teams cannot offer a contract until July 10th. All major FA dealings will have ended by then. In 2010, LeBron was last to make a decision and he did it on July 8th. Howard last year agreed on July 5th. Rockets will know from the FAs they like way before July 10th comes around. Parsons will NOT affect the Rockets FA in anyway even if Cuban offers him a max contract only July 10th.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Morey got him paid a year sooner. That sure was nice of him to decline an option that would pay a fringe all-star caliber player a minimal salary.

He will wait.

5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Here is what we hope. We hope Parsons has a wink wink agreement with the Rockets to allow them to pursue whatever players to improve our team and utilize our cap space.

Once we have those players signed, Parsons then signs whatever the highest offer is.

Rockets match and go over the cap.

Timing is my point.

6. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I didn't mean that he will sign an offer sheet that would hinder our ability to sign a max free agent. After that plays out, things can change. Fegan gets his guys paid.

7. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I agree with this. I don't think the Rockets bought themselves a discount by not picking up the option, but time. Timing is everything over the next weeks.

8. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

With all that said, lets hope Parsons deal is somewhere in the 10million dollar range. Highest paid 6th man in the NBA.

I suppose you can go Melo at the 4, but bringing Parsons for 30m off the bench is probably better for some second unit offense.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Fegan gets his guys paid yes, but he also doesn't control Chandler Parsons.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I really wouldn't worry too much about Parsons.

Remember, Morey CHOSE to make him a restricted free agent this year. This decision is no doubt made only after Morey and his team did countless hours of homework on the market for Parsons.

If Morey was not 100% sure of his ability to retain Parsons or use a S&T of Parsons to acquire something valuable, it would seem illogical for him to take this route rather than picking up his cheap team option and play the unrestricted free agency game next season.

Sure you have a higher risk of losing Parsons that way, but 1) Houston would still be in an advantageous position to re-sign him given that Houston can offer more years and higher $ than other teams, and 2) meanwhile, Houston is guaranteed to have Parsons for at least one year and preserves a lot of flexibility in terms of salary cap maneuvers (including the possibility of having 2015 cap room).

So, my thoughts on this is that either Morey knows that the Parsons market won't get too crazy or Morey is comfortable paying Parsons even the "max" that another team would pay Parsons.

Another thing to consider: Houston can offer Parsons 5 years while other teams can only offer 4. Houston can also include up to a 7.5% annual raise-- or decline-- in salary while other teams can only do 4.5%. This gives the Rockets not only the ability to exceed what outside teams offer, but also to structure the contract creatively so that Parsons gets paid but the Rockets also preserves future flexibility under either the salary cap or the tax limit.

11. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

When you go looking for a job, do you simply look for the highest paid position? Or do you look for a position in a company that you see yourself growing with, a company that offers great benefits, a company in a location that you and your family are comfortable living in, a company that is looking out for your best interest, etc.

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

While I agree with much of this, I think Morey is much more sinister than this. I think he thinks he can get a better deal on Parsons this year than next due to the competition at the SF position - lebron, melo, ariza, deng, hayward, etc. and the availability of cap space next year.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Good point.

BUT then again, with those players you listed, there are a ton of teams with cap room. And besides Melo/Lebron, you can say Parsons is the next BEST player. He is going to get over paid.....

14. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

We aren't talking about a potential 5 to 10K that a common individual would leave a company for. A million is substantial to a guy that less than that every year of his career.

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

Well it has nothing to with national media, but I was unaware of that.

16. rocketseagles07

I'm pretty sure most people consider Hayward> parsons but yea he'll get overpaid. Honestly that's just the way the market goes. I'm perfectly fine with going over the cap and overpaying parsons. Now paying him too much to be our 3rd best player is a different story

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

In the chance we lose parsons, I'm going to purchase parsonsfans.net

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

People turn down jobs all the time for much much more than 5-10k. People purposefully leave high paying private sector jobs for low paying, but more personally rewarding careers in non-profit and government sectors ALL.THE.TIME.

Yes, the money is bigger. But there is much more at stake here than money. When you aren't a top 10 player, and it's between taking 2 million less a year and winning, or taking 2 million more and possibly playing for a bad franchise, with bad owners, in a city you don't like, away from the friends you built your career with, yah, you're going to consider it. Just as anyone considers a new job.

Not everything changes just because you add a few zeros on the end of your paycheck stub.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

His Chinese show deal would go up if he was a championship starter...

20. boiler

boiler Member

What makes you think other teams can not offer these or even better benefits?