1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What offers RFA Chandler Parson might receive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Match or No Match

Poll closed Jul 10, 2014.
  1. match any offer (max 14 starting)

27.7%
  2. match only if less than 12 starting

72.3%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

I have Parsons' bags packed and have booked a non-refundable ticket on Southwest to Minnesota for Chandler. It was nice knowing you Chandler and we will give you a warm round of applause when you visit.... oh and please make sure you clean out your locker, Love wants it empty by July 4.

2. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Why wouldn't he pull the ole poison pill contract? I would think some teams might try that after seeing how it helped the rockets out with Asik. I guess it has hurt us bit with the Lin signing though.

3. JVL713

JVL713 Member

Anyone saying Chandler Parsons is worth $14 mil should take a look at Harden's contract.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

No poison pill for Chandler.

Don't ask me; ask Bima, aelliott or Feigen(or folks smarter than me)

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

They can't.

The so called poison pill contract was not some elaborate attempt by Morey to get his guys. It was specifically setup as a contract scenario for RFA in certain scenarios. Chandler isn't in that scenario.

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

That's true about the timing. But it could also be a problem financially. Other teams know that we are planning to match his contract, so if they are seriously going to try to sign him, they will try to come up with a way to screw us intentionally to get Parsons.

My impression is that Parsons likes playing here and would be willing to work with Morey to get a deal done to improve our team. However, if some other team comes calling and offers him ~13-14 mil starting salary, that would be hard for him to pass up.

7. meh

meh Member

The most ludicrous thing about this whole poison pill thing is how little sense it makes.

OP: Parsons can get a max contract. 4yr/~$60mil Rockets match?
    Random poster: But... But... What if a team offers him a poison pill 3yr/$25mil? Then what does the Rockets do? I know that's like, less than half the money. But the contract has a cool term called "poison pills". Therefore it must be bad for the Rockets, right?

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Or Kevin Love's.....

But sometimes in NBA free agency, it isn't always about what the player is actually worth, but what it takes to get that player away from the other team (cough, Jeremy Lin, cough)

If another team is trying to pursue Melo, Ariza, Deng, Stephenson and Gordon Hayward, and strikes out on all of them, they might see Parsons as the only option left and knowingly overpay him just to do everything they can to pry him away from the Rockets.

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

I don't get your reasoning. Parsons and the Rockets interests are aligned. He wants to win, and he wants to be paid. Both of those things will happen here. Additionally the Rockets have twice shown him a great deal of loyalty to him by 1) giving him a long-term guaranteed contract as a 2nd round pick, and 2) making him eligible for a raise sooner than was necessary.

The only way Parsons interests might be slightly different than ours is if the Mavs or someone offers him the max...which would hurt them more than it could hurt us. We can go over the cap to sign him, they can't.

Not to mention how pitting the Rox against Parsons would screw over Dwight, his biggest client.

So yeah I don't see Fegan allowing a personal relationship with Cuban to affect this at all.

10. aelliott

aelliott Member

A poison pill contract is only possible through the Arenas Provision and that only applies to restricted free agents that have been in the league 1 or 2 years. Since Parson's has been in the league 3 years, he doesn't qualify.

11. meh

meh Member

Parsons has been asking for a raise since his 2nd year. So much so he fired his old agent and hired Fegan. Clearly, Parsons want money. He wants lots of it. His interest is very much NOT in line with the Rockets.

This maneuver basically helps everyone except Les Alexander.

Fegan gets his client and himself more money.
    Cuban does a favor for Fegan.
    Parsons gets more money.
    Les pays more money.
    Rockets fans don't care.

It's a no-risk maneuver by Cuban that greatly helps Fegan and his client.

12. aelliott

aelliott Member

Agreed. I've got to believe that the Rockets didn't make Parson's a restricted FA and get him paid a year early just so they could lose him. Likely they've already got a deal agreed upon and are simply waiting to finish their dealings with another FA first.

I don't believe the Rockets go this route unless they know that Parsons wants to stay and they are ok with the pricetag. I'd be surprised if Parsons signed an offer sheet at all.

13. aelliott

aelliott Member

Not neccessarily. We're doing Parson's a favor by letting him get paid a year early. If we would have exercised his option then he'd be making just under $1M this year and then he could get his $12M per year from someone else.

If we give him $10M/year starting this year then he comes out in pretty much the same dollar amount but he starts getting paid this year.

I'm guessing that was the more appealing option to Parsons and I'd expect that he already had an agreed upon salary before the Rockets declined his option.

14. jedicro

jedicro Member

Yes, he wanted a raise, but the Rockets had no ability to give it to him. They couldn't just cancel his old contract.

Maybe we're talking about different things. If Cuban offers Parsons a max deal *after* all the big guys have moved, yeah it doesn't affect us, the fans, too much. If he offers it to him now it absolutely affects us. I'm all for Parsons getting every penny he can...just so long as we get our new guy (whoever that ends up being) first.

Cuban wouldn't offer Parsons such a contract right now. He would only do so after he's struck out with the big FAs. Then offering Parsons that contract would tie up his cap space for 3 days while he could be making offers to the lower-mid level FA's. Basically, making a huge offer to Parsons that would probably just be matched when their team isn't assembled is a huge risk.

15. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Parsons has to accept, teams can offer whatever they want.

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

What?

17. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

It would be very ironic if Parsons' resigning was hindered by a player option. I don't think this will be the case, but would be a bitter pill. Also, if Cuban were to go crazy on an offer to Parsons (upwards of $50 million), then who cares. Let him overpay and hinder their ability to build a quality team.

18. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Why wouldn't he accept the highest offer sheet? Loyalty is one thing, but at the end of the day this is a business.

19. jedicro

jedicro Member

Parsons has to accept, teams can offer whatever they want.

20. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

It only hurts us if Parson's literally signs an offer sheet with another team, which then starts the 3 day countdown for us to match.

They can offer him a deal, he can pass and nothing happens. Or he can wait a couple days to mull over his options and sign.

Parson's is going to be highly sought after, I doubt he will just sign whatever offer comes his way first.

Maybe there are multiple teams with similar $$ offers.