1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

What is your definition of gun control

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Falcons Talon, Dec 4, 2015.

?

What is your definition of gun control

1. Disarm all

15.7%
  2. Limit amount of weapons and ammo

38.0%
  3. Extensive Background check

62.0%
  4. It's fine as it is.

11.1%
  5. Remove all gun control. It's a right to bear arms.

13.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

In many D&D discussions, I've noticed there are varying definitions of gun control. What is your definition?

Share it proudly. Where do you stand.

Personally, I would like to see a thorough background check and denial for anyone with a violent or felony criminal record.

I am a firm believer that law abiding citizens should have the ability to possess a weapon if they choose.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So less of a definition of gun control and more of some vague description of how you think gun should be regulated.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I think no one should be able to purchase a gun except Bandwagoner.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Allow hunting rifles and shot guns, very limited hand guns to those who have a need for it, for example, people under threats. No AKs or assault style weapons. Will never happen in my life time.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Wait a minute. Having a definition of "gun control" has nothing to do with pride or where you stand.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Disarm all except those that need it in their line of duty like Law Enforcement

I do not care if you stupid people miss out on your hunting or whatever other stupid reason you use your gun for.

7. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Don't deflect. Answer the question.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Limit the supply of guns by any/all effective means because guns are 100% correlated with acts of gun violence.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

We must make protecting human life and safety the overriding goal. We must make it hard for criminals and law abiding citizens to get guns and update our Constitution for the modern age.

Well for those whose very being involves their guns and fantasies about guns whether saving their freedom from the US gubmint or a criminal or whatever we could let them stroke and fire weapons that would be owned by gun ranges.

Sort of like renting a fishing pole at a farm stocked pond, we can let farm bred deer and other species out into carefully managed tracks of land where they could check out a gun to hunt.. This could try to meet the need for those who like to feel like providers, go hiking with a purpose or need to transmit whatever values to their kids. With growing population we will soon have killed all free ranging game as has been done in parts of India, China and elsewhere so eventually except for the exceedingly rich it will get down to farm bred game let out for hunters.

Maybe virtual reality can also help meet the psychic needs of those gun owners who have problems not having their own personal guns while not at the ranges.

The gun manufacturers can be bought out and they can go try to make money on a business that is not so destructive.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Prohibit assault rifles, strengthen licensing & existing laws, 30-day mandatory waiting period for purchase, mandatory national gun registry, and state/national buyback programs.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As with most laws. . . it is all about the enforcement

Rocket River

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't vote because I think the poll is flawed.

When we talk about gun control, I understand gun control to be better processes for background checks on who is allowed to have a gun, perhaps the process on selling a gun, and better processes on tracking gun sales and gun ownership.

But, that's not really what I want. What I want is to eliminate the Constitutional right to own a gun, to outlaw the ownership of handguns and most other guns and for the great majority of people. I may be open to allowing some licensed gun ownership for purpose (a license to own a hunting rifle along with a hunting license, for example), with a vetting process, insurance requirements, some significant cost, and gun tracking.

That's what I want, but we're a long way away from that so that's not normally what I would mean if I were randomly lamenting our lack of gun control. Lesser measures can also help. I'll try to say gun eradication when I'm advocating something more ambitious. To respond to the subtext of the thread, I don't intend to use 'gun control' as some sort of code for taking away your guns. I want to take away your guns, but I'll say what I mean. Gun control isn't an abridgment of your gun rights from the front or back door; gun eradication would be and would require an amendment to the constitution.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I picked "It's fine as it is" but that doesn't really reflect my actual views, there just wasn't a considerably better option. I probably could have picked the background check option and been just as okay with it.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think everybody should be issued a gun on their 5th birthday. And every three years they would be given an additional gun to expand their arsenal. Only then will there be enough good guys with guns.

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

voted limit amount of guns, but really more a limit on type of gun.

also....background/waiting periods etc.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

all of those options would have prevented boston, oh wait...

fyi..., i'm option #2

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I always prefer rocket launcher over guns in video games. Why should I settle for anything less?

After all, guns don't kill people, only people kill people. So someone like me, whom every neighbor and co-worker recognizes as a nice person, should have the right to own the most powerful weapon (not necessarily nukes). It's my constitution right, and I can use that to protect our kids and family, and protect our country, if certain person is elected etc etc.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh wait...

Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and thousands more injuries annually.[1] According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, firearms (excluding BB and pellet guns) were used in 84,258 nonfatal injuries (26.65 per 100,000 U.S. citizens) [2] and 11,208 deaths by homicide (3.5 per 100,000),[3] 21,175 by suicide with a firearm,[4] 505 deaths due to accidental discharge of a firearm,[4] and 281 deaths due to firearms-use with "undetermined intent"[5] for a total of 33,169 deaths related to firearms (excluding firearm deaths due to legal intervention). 1.3% of all deaths in the country were related to firearms.[1][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What are the numbers for cars?

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm not deflecting. I answered the poll.

If you want to know where I stand on gun control (which still is not my definition of "gun control"), well:

I was strongly pro gun control all my life until recently. Now I feel the American people need to counterbalance all the weaponry of the American government (which we buy for them).

We act like the guns belong to the police etc. Actually, WE BOUGHT THE GUNS FOR THEM.

As a "lib," it seems like a lot of people who USE guns in the world are jackasses. I figure, why should the jackasses have all the guns? I'm looking at Smith & Wesson .357's lately. If I do buy one, I will look for an AR after that.