1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What is the starting lineup?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Maybe this had been made public and i did not see it, but what are we projecting as our starting lineup the year (assuming nothing changes.) It seems like we have to go:

AB/Battier/Ariza/Scola/Andersen.

Honestly Im not crazy about that. It looks ok if/when Tmac comes back and pushes Shane to the bench. But its not gonna win games, and lacks scoring punch. AB will get trapped and then pass off to scorers that can't create (keep the ball movin') Anyone dreaming that Scola is going to consistently command a double team and then pass out (ala Yao, Dream) is kidding themselves.

If I was choosing (and I still don't love this lineup), it would be:

Lowry/AB/Ariza/Scola/Anderson.

It leaves us pretty baron coming off the bench other than Shane and Carl, but the shooting guard spot is where teams generally field an athletic guy that can score and penetrate. Brooks is the guy best on the roster to fill that kind of a roll, even though he is wee. In fact, it shows a huge gap we have on our roster, because our best wee point guard is also our best and only shooting guard. Lowry and AB would probably not be great defensively, but Brooks uses his speed well and Lowry is solid. AB and Wafer in the backcourt might have been terrible, but this is where we could have used Von. We will probably need a fast backcourt considering we will have to throw a 100X effort into staying in front of our man because our best shot blocker is our wee best pg/sg. (joke).

If Tracy comes back only to will us to .500 and the 13th pick, the fans and organization will have paid a lot considering old boy will be having the last laugh.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Don't be surprised if Hayes is starting to begin the season instead of Andersen.

And McGrady could join the team in November, potentially giving us this starting lineup:

Brooks - McGrady - Ariza - Scola - Hayes

3. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I don't think Battier will be the starting shooting guard. We need a better ballhandling lineup on the floor. I'm sure Ariza and Battier will spend time on the court together, but I doubt they both start.

Whether or not some people believe Lowry should start at point guard over Brooks is irrelevant. It is clear based on last year's playoffs who the Rockets have the most faith in. Brooks will be the starting point guard. The combination of Brooks and Lowry as starters is going to be difficult, like you say, for defensive reasons.

I haven't seen Budinger play yet, so I don't know what his game is like, other than what I have read on the board. I would think that Taylor, Budinger, or a player still to be aquired will be starting until McGrady returns.

Until McGrady comes back, I think the Rockets will start a reasonably sized lineup and quickly go to a small lineup depending on the game.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Durvasa- I agree, but with Hayes, we just have nothing offensively with him out there. At least Andesen can pick and pop.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Nice lineup. Our great length at the wings would somewhat assist in covering up our size issues in our frontcourt. We'd be bound to at least have one mismatch, on the wings.

6. opticon

opticon Member

If Chase can stay in front of his man and close out on shooters, I think he has a Chance to start a few games if Ariza or Battier miss any time. Trevor has had foot problems in the past and will now be playing more minutes then he ever has his whole career.

That is bound to have some effect on how his body feels.

With the lack of depth we have at the 2 with tmac out I would not be surprised if we saw alot of Brooks playing of the ball at the 2 and Lowry playing some 1. It wont be a staple but it could give some teams some match up problems from time to time.

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

It is possible for Scola to play center with Landry playing PF. Till Anderson prove he is worthy of starters minutes.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hayes happens to be our best passer at the 4/5 position from the high post. He can't shoot, but saying he literally gives us nothing offensively with him out there isn't true.

We give up a lot offensively with Hayes instead of Yao. We also will be giving up a lot defensively with Andersen instead of (probably) anybody else. That's just how it is, unfortunately.

Edit: ^^ I didn't consider that, but its an option as well. Scola and Landry together in the starting lineup. I think that will depend on how much better Landry has gotten defensively.

9. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

many will disagree but...

brooks
    budinger
    ariza
    scola
    hayes

10. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

Hays will be starting before Landry
    Landry will always be a spark of the bench on this Rocket team.

11. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

i think battier deserves to start over budinger...for many reasons

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Brooks
    Ariza
    Battier
    Scola
    Andersen

Or we could start Landry and Scola at the five. Pops could play Landry role off the bench.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

I don't care who starts. I'd like to see how this group does:

AB
    Budinger
    Ariza
    Scola
    Andersen

This above group has four dudes who can slash, move without the ball, and knock down threes; and Scola, who just flat-out hustles. Of course, I'm assuming Andersen's as advertised. IMIT.

Then (or first) I'd like to see this more defense-oriented group:
    KL
    JT/T-Mac(when ready)
    Battier
    Landry/Mesah-Bonsu
    Chuckster

When I think of the different players working together, I start to hope they'll actually run Adelman's high-post, motion offense. Princeton Tigers, baby!

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

To start the season

Brooks
    Ariza
    Battier
    Scola
    Hayes

At the end of the season

Brooks
    McGrady
    Battier
    Scola
    Andersen

Battier has to start even if that means moving Ariza to the bench. Its no like he is a go-to guy or anything, he's just a role player. Shane starting is important imo

15. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Change Anderson for HAyesm and that's my proposed lineup.

Please keep in mind that neither Scola, Anderson or Landry are known for their post-defense. The starting lineup needs post-defense, which is why Hayes MUST start. Who cares if he can't score. We have Brooks and Scola to do that.

As Anderson plays more games, he may become a starter, but he needs to prove he can defend. One of the main reason we took the Lakers to 7 was because of Hayes' hustle and defense in the starting lineup.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

As it stands right know......
    Roster (not including Cook or Barry)
    A.Brooks/ K. Lowry
    T.McGrady/ J. Taylor/ C. Burdinger
    T.Ariza / S. Battier/ J. White
    L.Scola/ C. Landry/ P. Mesah Bonsu
    D.Andersen/ C. Hayes/ J. Dorsey/ Yao Ming*

I for one think we need to trade Battier & Taylor for Outlaw & Fernandez...... ;)

(Possible) Roster (not including Cook or Barry)
    A. Brooks/ K. Lowry
    T.McGrady/ R. Fernandez/C. Budinger
    T. Ariza/ T. Outlaw/ J. White
    L. Scola/ C.Landry/ P. Mesah Bonsu
    D. Andersen/ C. Hayes/ J. Dorsey/ Yao Ming*

-rocketblaze

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Starting Ariza and Battier together isn't going to work. Neither guy can take ball-handling duties over for the PG if the defense starts trapping in the back court. Unless Tmac comes back quick and looks decent this team is in deep, deep trouble at SG (as in they don't have one).

18. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Huh? I thought this was a thread about starting lineups, NOT a battier trade thread.

Seriously, why would you include that lineup with Rudy and Outlaw in a realistic thread liek this? Keep your post for a hypothetical trade thread. If you want to talk hypothetically, then I'll propose this lineup:

Brooks
    T-Mac
    Ariza
    Stoudemire
    Yao.

Yes, hypothetically, we could trade for Amare and Yao could miraculously heal himself over 2 months. HAHA!

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Seeing the overwhelming majority here with Anderson in their starting lineup reminds me of the same assumption Scola's rookie year. It's funny how little respect Chuck Hayes gets on this board. I would be absolutely shocked if its not Brooks/Battier/Ariza/Scola/Hayes.

As far as Battier and Ariza, I don't think Rick cares enough about the ball-handling issue enough to bench the undisputed leader of his team, especially taking into consideration that there is no viable alternative.

20. opticon

opticon Member

Everything that I have heard from the rockets org. so far says that Budinger is doing alot better the Taylor. I think Budinger is higher on the depth chart, with his size and play making ability he can log meaning full time at the 2 and the 3.