1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Sergio Llull's status for next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Mar 30, 2014.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You assume that the Rockets will definitely go the cap room route.

If the Rockets strike out on Lebron, Melo and Bosh, it is entirely possible that the Rockets operate above the cap and retain their MLE.

Still, my guess is that Llull comes over (if at all) in 2015 at the earliest.

2. anchel

anchel Member

^^ Agree. 80% he's staying for another season in Madrid.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

How would we operated above the cap, assuming we don't trade for Love and Asik is gone?

4. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Bima was saying that I was sure we would hit the cap Via a top tier FA, thus unable to sign Llull, which I was. He's responding with the possibility (however unlikely it may be) that we whiff hard, and instead just use our current cap room to sign him.

But, as both of us stated ( though a bit indirect ), we are not expecting him this year.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Is he the next badaine?

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The Rockets will likely generate an $8.4M trade exception in the Asik deal. They also potentially have access to the full MLE ($5.3M).

Now, if the Rockets elect to use cap room to sign a major free agent--which is currently Plans A (Lebron), B (Melo) and C (Bosh)--they must waive their rights to pretty much all trade exceptions, cap exceptions (MLE and BAE) and player cap holds (not counting a guy like Capela if he plays overseas). They also will need to waive some guys on the team with non-guaranteed deals.

However, if the Rockets strike out with those stars, they might be better off KEEPING their cap exceptions, players and the Asik trade exception. If so, then Llull at least becomes an option with some/all of the MLE.

(FYI, I may write a blog post about this concept and the possibilities if the Rockets fully pursue this avenue . . . of course, only AFTER striking out in free agency with the superstars.)

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

Agreed. Not only did he not win the Euroleague, but his team lost just lost the finals of the Spanish league, too.

By all indications he'll stay at least another year in Europe.

8. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

9. JazzLakerHater

Excuse me if I sound like an idiot, but what's the big the deal about this guy anyway? I don't know anything about him so can someone inform me what the big deal is.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good all around skills. Efficient scorer inside three point arc (over 60% 2point FG% last season in Euro). Decent three point shooter, draws fouls, Gets good amount of assists while not turning over the ball, decent defender (may have trouble with quicker NBA points).

Should be at least an NBA rotation player when he comes over.

11. JazzLakerHater

Will he be a better NBA player than Ricky Rubio?

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No ,and he knows it. He's content to stay and Spain where he is treated like a star and makes more as opposed to simply being a rotation player here.

That's not to say he will be a scrub if he comes over, but I just don't see a real impact player. Rubio even with his extreme offensive incompetence is a difference maker.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Joe Joe had a pretty good descrption of Llull's game.

If I had to find a current/recent NBA comp, imagine a quicker, more athletic Beno Udrih. Not today's Udrih. The one who was winning championships in San Antonio. (I could maybe compare him to middle class man's version of Goran Dragic, if I wanted to be generous.)

Again, no one is saying this guy's an All-Star or anything. But he's got the skillset to translate into a quality combo guard off the bench in the NBA. He can shoot it. He can penetrate. He can defend. Not at an elite level, but well enough to make the jump to the NBA fairly seamlessly.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

when was he drafted? 2009? we already have canaan coming down the pipe, who's actually already with the team...

this dude isn't coming over. we have his rights but he never became good enough for DM to call him up to the big league.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Canaan isn't a NBA quality player at this point of his career. Second round pick from one of the worst drafts won't help his case to stick for long on the Rockets I'm guessing.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Badiane straight up sucked and washed out..

Lull is still young and on a quality Euro team, though his true value's up in the air since he hasn't played a minute in the US.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Not good enough?!?! The fact that he is good is the very reason he HASN'T come over yet! The Rockets have tried to get him, but he wants both (a) more than the league minimum and (b) a likely rotation spot. Due to the Rockets' cap-planning status (especially the past two summers and this one), combined with Llull's honest desire to bring a championship to Real Madrid, the stars have never really aligned. But "not being GOOD enough" is absolutely, positively NOT a reason why Llull isn't a Rocket.

The 2013 NBA Draft was not a terrible one across the board. It just sucked at the top. The middle range (20-45) was just fine. Canaan could have easily been a late first rounder either last year or this year. He was that good a prospect. But the draft is a crapshoot, and guys move up or down based on various factors. Guys fall into the second round or out of the draft entirely who could be first rounders in certain circumstances. It happens all the time.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Canaan is a scorer who can't score in the NBA. There are plenty of players who put up superstars numbers in the D-League but just aren't NBA material.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm not saying the Canaan pick was a remarkable success or anything, but I think you're rushing to judgment on him. He played exceptionally well with the Vipers, and he showed some flashes with the Rockets (albeit more "meh" than good).

I still think he can be a decent NBA player.

20. NotChandlerParsons

He can make layups so yes.