1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is our Center rotation / options now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Yao was a great player and representative of the Rockets.

That being said, now that the team and all the other teams know Yao is retiring...What do you think will happen / What should happen with our big man rotation?

Currently: Hayes, Thabeet, Hill, and possibly D-Mo (or Cousin) are our guys that can play the 5 spot.

In some sense, we can get some closure with Yao now and more forward. Is Hayes and must-sign now (perhaps costing more)? Do you think we will definately trade for a big now - even perhaps doing a questionable trade because we have two 7-footers (Brad...). Will we just hold the fort or make a huge push for Dwight now? Will we develop Thabeet / Hill and stick with them?

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Hayes was a must no matter what we did. Did you see last year's win/loss record with him vs. without him?

Let's just say it's pretty likely we would have made the playoffs had Chuck not gotten hurt.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given that Yao only played 5 games over the last 2 seasons, I don't think his retirement affects anything, except that Chuck Hayes must be brought back as a FA, not only was he the best defensive big on the team, he is now also the only Rocket who appeals to Chinese fans.

[​IMG]

4. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Carl, you don't think it increases our desperation to acquire a big? I know it was a need before but now even more. Hopefully it doesn't lead to increased leverage for other teams dealing with us or cause us to make lopsided deals just to acquire a big.

With mchale on board now though, we should see that the playing time / development of hill/thabeet be more of a priority now. No vets - besides chuck to play ahead of them.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Speaking of McHale, I hear he may be able to suit up for 2-4 minutes a night and play some center, except on back-to-back nights. :p

[​IMG]

6. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

D.Howaed & Hayes

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They've been looking for a replacement for Yao for a while now. Nothing that happened the last 48 hours changes anything. Even if Yao announces right now he's trying for another comeback, the team is still going to look for a new C.

8. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Now that teams know that Yao is retiring, expect a lot of low-balling. Forget about getting a fair trade. Teams will be predatory.

Let's just hope the best during free agency, or Chuck Hayes it is.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the lockout ends early.... like December/January early, teams and free agents will have a short window to sign their players and with their teams.

This means from day 1 of the end of the lockout/start of free agency, both the Rockets and Chuck will have to come to an agreement fast. Chuck is smart enough to know that him waiting for more offers wont be the smartest move in this free agency.

Chuck gets signed back on a very reasonable deal. At the price he will command, he is a bargain.

I believe that the Rockets will still pursue Nene first, DeAndre Jordan, and then Dalembert, but the front office believes in trades and will most likely look to aquire a center through trades around the all-star break. They know that getting into a bidding war over the 3 centers could seriously hinder their flexibility in the future and would rather trade for a center.

However, just because they prefer trade, that doesnt mean they wont show up at Nene's front door with an ipad and offer a reasonable deal.

I still think trading for Gortat would be the most preferable center to aquire. Robin Lopez is more likely to get shopping due to the solid season Gortat had but Im sure either one could be had at the right price.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I havent said one word on Yao's retirement yet (except one post in the Yao-Francis thread).

My immediate reaction was its a ROCKETS FAILURE to acquire a QUALITY CENTER with length whether a veteran or prospect, KNOWING Yao's injury troubles. We shouldnt even be asking this question AFTER THE FACT

Thats on MOREY.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

We dont have ANY legit options at C now. Thabeet and Hill should not even be in consideration for back ups. Its D-Mo and Hayes until we get someone else.

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Somthing tells me mchale will not have chuck hayes starting center.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What are you talking about?

Yao was/is an unrestricted free agent. The Rockets had/have no control over him.

If you're talking about other, "non-Yao" trades, then perhaps you are right. But don't expect Morey to b**** and moan about it. He'll continue to look for good trades. If he's offering fair value that benefits another team, that other team will likely make the trade, retired Yao or not.

14. conquistador#11

where is that Joker image with the caption " can't tell if you're serious?" when you need it.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Hayes/Donatas/Hasheem

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we can't find anyone, might as well try to groom D-Mo for the 5 spot. Offensively his ready with his face up and low post game. But defensively is where he's going to need to do some work. Because he does have the tools to be successful defensively at the 5. With his 7'1 frame, length and mobility. As well as his athleticism and improved strength.

17. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I know that Yao is/was an unrestricted free agent. I was obviously talking about trades for other centers. And I never said or implied that Morey would b**** and moan.

Just b/c you know a little bit more that some people doesn't give you the right to be condescending.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Biedrins, Andris.

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Thabeet better learn that finger wave.

20. opticon

opticon Member

The new CBA is going play a huge part in what our options really are.

If Based on the numbers from Shamsports and if you account for Brad no longer being on the team and adding Jonny the roster we have about 48 mil in salary next year.

That does not factor in signing our rookies or resigning Chuck Hayes.

If a Hardcap of 65 mil is instituted we could offer just as much as anyone to sign Tyson Chandler.

We would even be able to make a Run at Nene if he is giving serious thought about leaving Denver.

If I was pulling the Trigger I would offer what ever it took to get Tyson locked up for the next 4 to 5 years he is only 28 and has at least a minimum of 5 productive years left in the league.