1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Next Year's Plan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DREAMer, Mar 5, 2000.

1. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Who I think should not be on the team next year:
    Matt Bullard, Walt Williams, Devin Gray, Bryce Drew, and Tony Massenburg.

I also think we should try to trade Kelvin Cato. I like the guy, but his contract is bigger than his production.

If we do this here's what we're left with:
    C - Hakeem/Miller/??
    PF - Thomas/Rogers/
    SF - - ?? - /Rogers
    SG - Anderson/Mobley
    PG - Francis/Norris

That leaves a big hole at small forward, but what's so different about that and this season? It also leaves us without a banger at PF. The center position is also questionable considering Hakeem's injuries, and the fact that Miller won't be able to play starter minutes.

So, again my question is: What should we do?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

2. ArmChair Coach

How about keep Bullard, Gray, and Cato and possibly sign Massenburg to a smaller contract if it's up after this season. Then trade Drew and Williams and possibly Massenburg for that small forward or banger big man.

3. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Yes lets keep Dream as our starting center next year, so we can really suck, Dreamer.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'd keep Cato and (brace yourself) Drew. I'd trade Williams and Massenburg.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

These are the players that will be gone next year:

DREW
    WILLIAMS
    MASSENBURG
    GRAY

6. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

pf-kelvin cato/carlos rogers/tony massenburg
    sf-walt williams/matt bullard/devin grey
    c -hakeem olajuwon/pig miller
    sg-shandon anderson/cuttino mobley
    pg-steve francis/bryce drew/moochie norris

trade

clippers get:
    carlos rogers
    bryce drew

rockets get:
    michael olawakandi
    tyrone nesby

draft day

trade

mavericks get:
    walt williams
    cuttino mobley
    tony massenburg

rockets get:
    cedric cebalos
    their draft pick(5-10)

draft:
    terrance morris
    marcus fizer

resign moochie norris

pf:kelvin cato/marcus fizer
    sf:terrence morris/cedric cebalos
    c :michael olawakandi/hakeem olajuwon
    sg:shandon anderson/tyrone nesby
    pg:steve francis/moochie norris

7. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Rocketbooster,

Thank you for your poignant observation. It really added to this thread and solidified yourself as one of the top posters.

----------------------------------

To Others,

I put Hakeem as the starter, because without Cato, he'd be the obvious choice. Would you rather have Pig starting. I know Hakeem probably isn't going to have an all-star season next year. But, if he's healthy he'll be productive.

Also, the reason I'd prefer to trade Cato is to somehow free up cap space. Then I think we are all hoping that the Rockets to get some talented free agents to hold the fort in Hakeem's last year. I mean, would Hakeem & Duncan be any worse than Robinson & Duncan? Yeah, that's a million-to-one shot, but I'm "sayin' there's a chance." (J. Carrey)

------------------

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

brahma rocket,

- You seem to have misplaced Kenny Thomas somewhere.

- Morris is not comming out this year.

- Fizer is an undersized power forward. Why draft another one of those?

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Attention all BBS posters:

Walt Williams and Tony Massenburgs' not being on our squad next year is contingent upon some other team wanting to take them on. I've said it before, but if you had a 2 million dollar exception, would you use it on Walt Williams? Now consider that he's scheduled to make more than twice that amount. Other teams aren't in the business of doing the Rockets favors.

10. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

The Freak,

What are the odds of packaging one or both TMass or Williams with either Cato, Drew, or (preferably not) Mobley?

If we did it that way, it doesn't seen so difficult to pass our problems onto another team. And, who knows, Williams and Massenburg may actually contribute next year. Williams can play better than he has this year, and TMass can play... (unlike this season)

------------------

11. aelliott

Walt Williams and Tony Massenburgs' not being on our squad next year is contingent upon some other team wanting to take them on.

That's not true for Massenburg. He's a free agent at the end of the year. If the Rockets don't want him, then they simply renounce him.

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited March 05, 2000).]

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

To get another team to accept Walt, he will have to be put in some type of package deal with a bargain price talent to offset Walt's overpriced "talent".

Seems we had a similar discussion along these lines in December.

Mango

13. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Just a random thought, but do yall realize that Kelvin Cato and Marcus Fizer both play/played for Iowa St.? Just thought that was an interesting fact that no one has ever brought up and I've never thought of.

14. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

If Moochie continues to play well through the rest of this season, I would deal Drew. He has probably raised some seriois eyebrows with his solid play when Francis was hurt, and many PG-weak teams could use him (he would make an adequate starting PG for an otherwise good team - like the Knicks use with Ward) Moochie could be our backup, which suits him better than Boy Drew. Along with Drew, we could package Walt Williams, as he would make an affective scorer off the bench for a team like Miami.

As for free agent pick-ups, Duncan and Hill may be beyond our reach but we should desperately go for Rose, McGrady and even Eddie Jones. If that would mean sacrificing a first round pick, so be it.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

15. aelliott

Actually, Williams shouldn't be too hard to move next year since it's the final year of his contract. Nowdays, teams are always looking to acquire players in the last year of their deal.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Fizer? Undersized? Has anyone seen this guy play?

Undersized he is not. At 6'8", 265, I think he has a true PF body. His height, if anything, one could question. But watching him play, and 6'8" is not small at the PF spot, all he lacks in height he makes up for in (brace yourself) speed, brute strength, and agility. This guy is a player, and I hope we draft him so we can all see what he brings to the court.

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

18. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Rebounding numbers aren't too great and they haven't really improved since he's been in college.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

HOOP-T

You know I like this guy, too. But he is not 6-8. I hear he is closer to 6-6.

He is a scoring machine. And the fact he has Iowa St playing like they are is what truly impresses me. For godsakes, we are talking Iowa St here winning the Big 12.

My feeling is, this guy is a player of superior athleticism and intelligence who can do anything he puts his mind to. As far as rebounding goes, it is tough getting big numbers at that size when you are triple teamed. I feel everything about him is undervalued, including his rebounding.

If we have a 6 pick, I'd trade down 4 spots to land Fizer. If we pick 10th-12th, I'd take Fizer and shop around KT for a 6th pick. If we can't get fair value for KT, I'd play them both and not worry about it. The trade offers will come.

Take the best available athlete at 6-6 or above, and you will be right more often than not.

20. aelliott

Mango,

I don't know why I thought Williams only had one more year (maybe wishful thinking). So, let me flip flop on this one and say that if I was a GM, I'd never take him in a trade.

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited March 06, 2000).]