1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What if the 1994 Rockets never won, would the Rockets still be here??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 20, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Some fans still don't credit the fact that 1994 Team CREATED this entity called ClutchCity. They claim it was always there before NASA and the 610 loop.

Think back to that time where the Rockets were considering MOVING OUT OF HOUSTON if we didn't get a new stadium. Would the city of Houston have supported the SaveOurRockets campaign if the Rockets of 1994 never won?

I claim these heroes saved THE CITY, not vice versa.

saleem likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think our city would have stepped up. At the time we were the 4th biggest city in the US. It was a big enough joke not having a football team. The Astros being our sole major league sport is reason enough for me to believe the Rockets would still be here.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

one of the biggest points made by the SaveOurRockets campaign was that the Rockets brought us the ONLY championships to the City and great players that kids all over the city knew.

Remember what Rudy T said on the ClutchCity Video?

He use to walk around HOUSTON seeing people wearing Lakers and Chicago Bulls jerseys. After the championship he felt pride that people were wearing Houston Rockets jerseys.

saleem likes this.
  4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Even with the championships, the first referendum failed.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I remember all of that. I think that the city would have gone for the stadium, but you never know...look what happened to my beloved Oilers.

the 94 crew definitely solidified it. Without those championships, who knows how it would have ended up. They would have left for sure if they didn't get a new stadium

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

What about 95? As long as the city stayed loyal I don't think they would of moved.

Can you imagine if the Rockets announced they were moving today? *Shivers*

Off topic but you think we deserve an NHL team by now? :eek:

7. tinman

Supporting Member

1995 was a result of 1994. You know heart of champion, backed in the corner. the motivation that we were not getting respect as champions. Dream winning MVP of the NBA and the Finals the year before, and David Robinson omitting mentioning Dream as other MVPs in the past.

Toyota center is awesome. Love the HDTV, food, seating and location. Thanks Rudy T and Company!

saleem likes this.
  8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

If the Rockets would have moved many here would now be a fan of whatever team the best player for UT went to, even if Houston got a new team.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

that's a whole different topic Meowgi.
    Like Hakeem having many fans all over the world. Yao has many fans all over the world. Its the charisma, the confidence, the skill that attracks new fans.

Maybe you didn't experience the SaveOurRockets era. Let me explain that we were geniunely worried that the Rockets may leave.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Rockets might be gone, but we would have had an expansion by now

11. MR. MEOWGI

Clutch City was never in Toronto.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Houston Grizzlies?

I just threw up in my mouth.

13. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

i was thinking Houston Texans basketball, and our football team would be the Houston Bobcats or something like that.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

here's the issue, Houstonians don't have as much allegance to the Rockets as Clippers fans in LA, Bucks fans in Milwaukee, heck, even the fans in Toronto have more of an allegance. I'm not saying were bad fans, its just Houston is not a city of basketball fanatics as well as a lot of people in Houston are not necessarily from Houston. Anyone who doubts this I have one question: what would be more amazing: if Houston wins a championship next season or if houston sells out every game? how bout if houston sells out 75% of their games? 65%? so on and so forth, its scary to think about. or how bout this: if you asked the average houstonian which houston team they wanted to win their respective championship, astros, texans and rockets, who do you think they'd pick?

with that said, true rockets fans are the hardest core fans there are. period.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If the best player for UT won a national championship, was from Houston, was a need position for the new NBA team, and was passed over by a bunch of incompetent monkeys smelling their own crap and drinking their own piss running said team then yes I would agree.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The Houston Bobcats.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

No doubt. There wasn't a lot of optimism after the 1st arena vote failed. Was their a board on Jeff's save our rockets site? I'm pretty sure that is where I started posting and then after a while I crossed over to here. (Originally May 02)

18. tinman

Supporting Member

yes HE was.

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The vote barely squeeked through as it was. There was a large anti-stadium sentiment at the time. No titles, no Rockets.

20. MR. MEOWGI

Go HOUSTON. Titans fans suck. VY lovers are pathetic.