1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What Id like the Texans to do on draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by timwalters, Feb 28, 2007.

1. timwalters

timwalters Member

draft: this is going to get alof of flack from you guys, but here it goes, ......Id like to see this team next year have some combo of kolb/calvin johnson/lynch or kolb/johnson/calvin johnson or kolb/ginn jr/andre johnson

you maybe thinking, how the hell can we get these guys?

well, i hear theres a rumor about a #8+carr+pick for #3...if this is true Id take calvin johnson in a second. First off, we shouldnt even think about Peterson since his brother just got shot in HOUSTON,..so forget him,. And Im not really a fan of Andre cuz of the bad hands..Hes not a "blow by" reciever but hes not a "sure hands " reciever either,..He basically is a fast tight end trying to play receiver. Hes good, but Id take calvin over him in a second.

Take kolb in the second round. In a year he will be better than plummer, and carr, and will fit the system.

I like Lynch at the 10-15 range. If we trade down we can get him plus extra .

Just use your imagination and these scenarios can drive you mad. Basically, get kolb in second round, trade carr/8 to 3 for Calvin and trade Andre to a team like Buffalo for Lynch+rights to clements.

after day 1 of draft you have kolb/calvin johnson/lynch/clements

or, just draft ginn jr to spread the defense. Basically,next year I want to see a new qb,new backup qb,new running back, and if we can pull it off a new receiver like calvin johnson.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Calvin can very easily go #1.

Johnson to the Bills for Lynch+ rights to Clements? Clements will be a free agent, so that doesnt make sense.

Andre Johnson isnt just a tight end trying to play receiver. The guy is a pro bowler...a stud.

And why does it matter that Peterson's brother got shot in Houston? It really doesnt matter.

--------------------------------

3 things I'd like to see happen this offseason...

1) Sign Clements.

2) Take AD with the 8th pick if he's available. If not, take Alan Branch or Okoye.

3) Take Meriweather with the 2nd rounder.

Those are 3 moves that can bring instant returns.

Another scenario goes like...

1) Sign Clements

2) Draft Landry with the 1st rounder (possibly trade down if available).

3) Gets some OL help with our 2nd rounder...Joe Staley.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Okoye and Staley for me too, provided Peterson isn't around. And he won't be. After that, I'd like to see us get a shot at that kid from Texas, Robison. Hopefully, he'll slip to the 3rd. If not, we need a safety.

I wouldn't mind Kolb in the 2nd either, provided we had a plan to get a left tackle.

I think we could possibly get a running back in the 4th round. Wouldn't it be something if Bush slipped down there. He's a big, lumbering back, still rumored to be limping, so I guess it's possible.

4. notafaker1997

notafaker1997 Member

This team offense will forever be terible if they do not do anything about thier Left Tackle position. I say take Levi Brown in the first round its not the sexy pick but it would be the smartest. Second round go after a Free Saftey or a Corner and maybe the third go after a Defensive Tackle. But they nee to attack the Wide Reciever and Linebacker positions in free angency especially since they cut Moulds today.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Staley=Seth Wand

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How's that?

Staley runs the 40 in ~4.7 seconds, which is pretty sick for a 6'6", 305 lb. OT.

Wand couldnt sniff that.

They're both white though, so the comparison could be legit.

7. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

rezdawg = Seth Wand

8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Levi Brown = Victor Riley

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Levi Brown is a big, strong, smart, SLOW Tackle. Kubiak would turn him into a guard. Unless you really want a guard in the first round, stay away from Levi Brown. If there's an answer at LT in this draft, it's definitely Joe Staley.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

First of all, every team would like to see a receiver like Johnson on their team. There is not one team in the NFL that wouldn't want him on their team.

Secondly, why would you trade somebody for "rights" to a free agent who is not going to sign with his team in the first place? Can you even do that anyways?

You can argue that you'd rather have Lynch and C. Johnson than Peterson and Andre all day. That's debatable.

In the end, I say we keep Andre, try and draft Peterson, and in the second round, draft a receiver or tackle. Either one, I'll be good with. Get Kolb in the third (right now, he's rated unofficially as the 5th best Qb, and he's looking like he'll be available). After that, defense and O-line.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Using the 'imitating the system' comparisons from Denver, if you check you will see that their guards are significantly smaller than their tackles. They've always been big on trapping and pulling which requires mobility from guards and the center, more than the tackles.

Because of this, I think if Levi Brown was on the roster they would play him at tackle. I agree, however, that they will not be drafting him for either position.

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

With Moulds and Payne gone that creates holes at the WR and DT position. Moreso the WR position, because you still have Travis (Lazy-ass) Johnson and Anthony Maddox will most likely be given a chance to make the team as a starter. I really can't see the Texans going into the season with Johnson and Mathis (especially Mathis as a starter).

I know Moulds "lost a step" but his release puzzles me because he was better than anything the Texans had besides AJ. I don't know what his cap figure was, but it must have been high for them to release him. I know AJ can't be happy with losing his mentor.

It seems more and more likely everyday that Plummer is going to be taking the snaps under center next season and I'm sure the Texans are going to go after Clements with everything they've got. Thinking positively the Texans can probably trade Carr for a third.

As it stands I'd draft:

1) LaRon Landry (S) LSU
    2) Joe Staley (OT) Central Michigan
    3)a) Tim Shaw (LB) Penn St.
    3)b) Brandon Mebane (DT) Cal
    4) Johnnie Lee Higgins (WR) UT-El Paso
    5) Daniel Sepulveda (P) Baylor
    6) Kolby Smith (RB) Louisville
    7) Anyone from Hampton

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That last part made me laugh. :D Nice.

Really, why do people want to say they want to pick a lineman (read LINEMAN) just because he runs fast on a sprint?

Yeah, cuz we know dang well linemen spend the entire football game sprinting back and forth across the field... :rolleyes:

Leave that for cornerbacks and wide receivers, man... really... the 40 doesn't measure how fast he can push Freeney or Perriman. :( I do want a better lineman with good technique and skills, though.

15. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

WHAT DA F ??????

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It's just a measure of athleticism that everyone knows.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Really, why do people want to say they want to pick a lineman just because he runs fast on a sprint?

After Carr fumbles or throws an interception, we need our lineman to be able to run down the ball.

18. Buck Turgidson

Agreed, swoly. Much more important how quick they are off the ball.

I'd like the Texans to get better players at a multitude of positions. I don't care who they are.

19. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Hey Genius, football is all about leverage and getting into the right position. Yes, speed for an OL is important. Try seeing some slow ass try to do a trap block when his feet are stuck in cement. :rolleyes:

Technique and skills mean nothing if you don't have the speed and quickness to get into position to exhibit those skills and talents.

If your OL isn't quick it really does not matter how good your technique is because Freeney and Merriman will already be feasting on your QB.

Bla ... bla ... bla ...

20. Buck Turgidson

Speed & quickness are two different things.

I'd be much more interested in a lineman's 10 yard dash split than his full 40 time.