1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What has JVG done to the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HeyDude, May 3, 2007.

1. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I know that he has 2 p*****s in Yao, who fades away instead of goin for a hook shot, and TMAC who cant have a good shooting game to save his life, to share the blame, but........come one man......

Watching our stale offense is like pullin teeth. We dont run a break, we dont get any easy layups, we take the looongest time to get a shot up, turn the ball over repeatedly.......Yao averages more TOs than assists....

How about running a high post offense w/ Yao and have some cutters? How about better spacing w/ Yao? How about utilizing Yao in more ways than having him bang against floppers?? How about utilizing Yao's passing skills? How about getting Battier and Howard involved more instead of having them just stand at the 3 point land and set picks respectively......

U might say, well, our role players suck? Well....These are JVG's players! CD did a terrific job getting him a SOLID team in the offseason.....he got him the best shooter in the draft (Novak) who was never used, a good penetrator who could've filled in nicely as Sura Jr (Vspan) who was never developed, and the best value in the offseason (Wells) who was never given a chance......

4 years he's had with this team......I think he got outcoached 2 years ago by a rook..........and he's blowing it again.........honestly, even if we do win game 7, has he even done an average job so far in the playoffs??? I dont think so......

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Our role players didn't decide to disappear until the playoffs. Yeah, they are JVG guys, and they went 20-12 with Yao out and made the playoffs as a 5 (should be 4) seed.

It's not JVG's fault that Yao/Tmac are playing soft and our bench has decided to suck on the road

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

they went 20-12 with Yao out

Now that blows. of course you are going to have a better record when your weakest link rests.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They're getting fouled a bunch, but really it's open shots that they're missing, I mean there's just no way to coach guys any better than to the point where they get open shots.

5. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

He was outcoached by Avery Johnson 2 years ago and now by Sloan.
    He is not qualified to be the head coach if this team. In fact, the Rockets has so many talented players, but look at their performances under JVG. I am pissed off with JVG's coaching.

6. Blake

I know. All he did was run plays that got open shots that were missed

awful

7. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

But they have better records when Yao in.
    Yao is not the weakest link. JVG is.
    JVG did do a good job in regular season. But in playoff, when it really counts and matters, he disappears.

8. rocketsmetalspd

I don't get why everyone is saying Yao and T-Mac played soft. Yao can't even turn around without someone flopping and refs calling the foul on Yao. As for T-Mac the times he did take it to the rim he was fouled and the refs didn't give him the call. I just wonder which refs are calling the game Saturday. I am sure they will keep the Jazz in the game tough.

9. Blake

Of course they do. But it's a testament to the rest of the team to go 20-12 without him

Change the last two sentences to ROLE PLAYERS instead of JVG and I concur

10. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

He helped them get the 5th best record in the NBA. Helped them get home court, which will ultimately decide the series. Will lead them to the Western Conference finals.

But if we lose on Saturday: Fire Gundy!

11. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

JVG ain't the problem this series. it's our gutless players that are afraid to do what it takes to get the job done. we had plenty of opportunities to close this thing out, but punked out, we got some punks on our squad, we need to man the f'ck up!

12. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

How can a team go 5 straight possessions without getting a shot off in the fourth quarter with the game on the line? How can anyone confuse that team with a well coached team?

JVG never called a time out to run a set play. T-mac looked like he couldn't dribble the damn ball he was so tired. Rockets were one call away from losing game 5 and being out in the first round again. I say They lose in game 7 at home. I hope they prove me wrong but I have a feeling Utah will advance.

13. HeyDude

Dude, when the open shots are 3 pointers and long jumpers, chances are, more often than not, they'll still be missed.....how about getting some easy baskets?? or getting some transition??

14. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

If you can let your player get open layup under the basket when we is just down 1 to take the lead, I 'll call that coach a decent NBA coach.

15. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

I was mad because in this game we did have a chance to win but it let it slipped away by turn over.

16. Blake

We made them just fine in the regular season. This is on our players IMO.

17. HeyDude

Teams dont get a chance to disect Gundy in the regular season.....its the playoff where the winner is decided.....now even if we win game 7, to me, we've wasted away games........

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

JVG built some defensive team. Yeah, right. The Jazz ran and passed around his soft traps so easily I'm surprised they didn't shoot 70% for the game. Mr. Glue was a liability again -- and with only 4 points. Tell me again how he is better than Rudy Gay...I forget.

#18 thumbs, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  19. blackbird

blackbird Member

JVG must go, he don't know any offense. He played Yao as a robot, turnover machine. Win or lose, we need a better coach.

20. HeyDude

I actually didnt see that many open shots today that we missed in the 4th quarter....it was either TOs or bad spacing the whole time........sure, I already agreed that Yao and TMAC need to do a better job, but you cant seriously tell me you're satisfied w/ JVG's offensive strategy so far in the playoff??? Can you??????