1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

what happened to cato?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lelo, Aug 2, 2002.

1. lelo

lelo Member

i remember seeing him play in college and he would swat anything that came close to the rim... now its like he just loooks at everyone penetrate around him.... and his first year here as a rocket he played very good backing up hakeem... then he got a fat check... then after that its like he falls asleep on defense... and is the most clumsy player on offense that you will ever see.... if you pay attention during a game.. you'll see cat or steve throw him a pass down low and he just cant catch..... and most of all he cant finish downlow..

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He just doesn't have the will to win.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

It has been reported here that Cato has changed his ways & was seen on back-to-back days at 24-Hour Fitness. Does that count?

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry but it must be said, I blame it on the Coach! He has been asked to do too much beyond his abilities, the coach should have concentrated on what he could do best ie:- Block Shots and rebound. After his first year with the Rox he has been confused. He can't play the offensive role, he dosen't have the ability to position himself and doesn't have the hands or eyes to function as a finisher! If I was Rudy T I would avoid him as an a scoring player but teach him how to set picks to help the shooters on the team.On defence he should be instructed to concentrate on pulling down rebounds and blocking shots. He should be instructed that anything less than 10 rbs. and 3 blocks is unacceptable. In this way we praise him every time he gets his goals and eventually we will get the great shot blocker Kelvin Cato and our moneys worth.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Would you do very much if you had a guaranteed 42 million dollar contract? What was the organization thinking?

Prove me wrong, Cato... do it. I dare ya!

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Talent:
    Cato Vs College Talent = Cato Good
    Cato Vs NBA Talent = Cato BAd

Rocket River

7. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

What if...... Rudy already "instructed" Cato to do those things but Cato still can't do it. Cato plays well ( if you can even use that word) if he gets involved early with an alleyoop or a couple of put backs. But unfortunately he normally picks up a couple of early fouls and has to sit way too early.

I have not been happy with Cato's performance overall and nor should Rudy.

In the past we did not have an option but with Ming on the rise Cato better get his act together before he is viewing the game from the bench.

I am not saying Ming is going to dominate but with Ming's desire, he should be able to eclipse Cato's numbers on sheer hustle and desire.

8. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Cato is not a scorer and he's now figured that out. He has learned that his points will come from put backs and alleyoops. At first, he couldn't catch these very well and had terrible hands, but he worked on it and now has some of the best hands of al the big men on the team. Once he learned what his role was, he played it pretty well.

9. SlamN

SlamN Member

Cato was never a true scorer, not even back in college. That was the knock on him when he came out, no offensive moves. He has shown flashes and just needs to be more consistant. It seems he lacks motivation and/or desire. That just may be his atittude or a coaching problem. The Rockets are stuck with him till 2006 so they better figure something out.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Cato was never good. He was only a 15th pick, and third string at Portland. He's never been good for the Rockets either. Check the stats, they don't lie. His numbers last year were the same as his first year with the team -- there's been no improvement.

11. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

No, there has been no improvement. He has no skills, no fundamentals, and he is the laziest player in the NBA. There is absolutley no way this guy should be starting for an NBA team. And to my knowledge he was never good, he didnt even play high school basketball. He was 7'0", so Iowa State (I think) gave him a scholarship to play, somehow he got drafted, he got trraded to the Rockets, and after one good preseason game, he gets $42 mil.

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I guess I better bust out the Cato Wallpaper link for this thread...

1028x768
    800x600

sample:
    [​IMG]

13. leehoang

leehoang Member

Cato is okay player i guess, but he still gets paid too much

but hey i got a new wallpaper now.

hahaaa

14. The Fever

The Fever Member

I'm not sure what games you were watching, but the ONLY THING he can catch is the alley-oop pass because it is a LOB pass. If the pass (or rebound, or loose ball) has any kind of zip on it at all, Cato fumbles it away. He may have some of the best hands of all the big men on the team, but that's not saying much when the only other BIG man is Collier.

It must be hard for Collier to catch passes from the IR.....

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cato happened to Cato. To say it is Rudy's and/or CD's fault that he plays the way he does is ridiculous. Blame management for signing him to that contract, but don't blame them for his play. Cato is as Cato does. The talent is there, but the will is not.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

hey . . i got new toilet paper.. .

Rocket River

17. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I think Cato is probably driving his ugly ass purple Lincoln Navigator down Westheimer toking it up with Mo Taylor.

Nice Wallpaper rH!

:D

18. rockets#1

rockets#1 Member

This probably is not going to be a popular response, but I think Cato actually did okay the second part of last year. He was overpaid the first two seasons of this bloated contract, but now with all of the inflated salaries out there his contract does not look as bad. As far as his offense(or lack there of) he needs to do what he did last yr. and stay above the rim. On defense he might look better with Griffens increased playing time.

I'm not trying to defend the guy, but I don't think that he has the worst contract on the team either.

19. Stevie Francis

i swear if he was paid about 4.5 million we wouldn't be saying **** about him. Do we complain about T mo, langi, or collier? No because they are not making 42 million. They are not hurting our cap room.

20. Panda

Panda Member

The scene of Cato being reduced to a shooting crutch by Shaq is so funny, it always makes me laugh.

I guess Cato is the only player as a Rocket that I don't root for.