1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What games have you played over the past year, and maybe even finished?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

@RC Cola @Duncan McDonuts @Yung-T

I haven't loaded up Genshin in a couple of weeks. Is it worth going back to for a purely F2P player? I just want some solid waifus, man.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Anyone excited for AC: Valhalla?

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

@Juxtaposed Jolt There's a new patch 1.1 coming on 11/11 that will finish the Liyue chapter. I'm not sure if it's adding new territory to explore, but there are 4 new characters added. The two 5* are husbandos that people are hyped about. You'll get a free Fischl with the new event. I think it's worth playing the new patch quests at least.

I'm enjoying the game. I've always liked MMO/action RPGs. I wish the resin wasn't so limiting for character progression, but I've been getting a solid 2 hours of gametime at least with daily farming routes. I've spent money on rolling characters, but not on resin.

Yung-T likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The game is incredibly f2p-friendly imo, unless you wanna clear the highest difficulty abyss dungeon levels.
    While the gacha rates aren't really good, most of the 4* characters are viable for the content and you'll still get a 5* every 90 wishes max, so after finishing the current content you should have at least two of em.

But even outside of that, I think it's an incredibly well-crafted game with a great story and fun exploring.
    Patch 1.1 will see the conclusion of the Liyue chapter and bring some quality of life changes as well.

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/m/en/news/detail/6419

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm really digging Genshin Impact.

So far I've only spent 5 dollars, and at no point have I gotten bored or felt needlessly grindy. It's become my post work wind down routine for an hour or 2 everyday. Just got to AR 30, I'll probably go ahead and buy the upgraded $10 battle pass when it resets.

The Wish system is absurdly stingy, but as far as I'm concerned the characters are just an extra thing to collect, and not something you really need. I've spent a little money, and will probably spend a little more, but at no point have I felt like I was being forced to do so. They basically give/gift you all the characters you need even without getting lucky with wishes.

My only real complaints, the characters are all far too "cutesy", which is pretty much in line with many anime. I'm fine with those type characters, but give me some rough looking badasses as well. Secondly, there are far too many currencies to keep track of. It seems like the could very easily phase out a few of them.

#185 sealclubber1016, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Duncan McDonuts and Yung-T like this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Some of the next 5* characters will be male, so that might suit you better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, so far, Genshin Impact is very F2P friendly IMO. I haven't spent a single penny on the game, and I feel like my characters are plenty strong for most content (though like a lot of games, equipment might be more important than characters). If you're a little more casual like me (I haven't even spent much resin this week due to paying more attention to the US election), I think it is even more F2P friendly. If you want to play for 8+ hours a day or whatever, then maybe you'll feel the urge to spend some money on resin or whatever.

Yung-T likes this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

You can certainly beat the story as a F2P. The world enemies aren't too difficult.

The challenge mode Spiral Abyss can get difficult as a F2P. There are people who have beaten it, but it takes a high skill level. I don't think you could 3-star the levels with F2P characters, though, as you need a high DPS for the time limits. In addition to the story characters, you are given a few good characters free from events.

I think the $5 daily gems and the $10 battle pass are worth it at least. That $15 is equivalent to previous MMO subscriptions and gives you good upgrades.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, if you want to do well with all the content the game has now, it would be difficult. But over time, I think F2P can probably handle those challenges, especially if they log in every day and do the daily challenges and whatnot. The summon rates might be low, but over time, people will be able to get those great 4 and 5 star heroes (with duplicates for constellations). Keep doing that, and you'll also end up with some great equipment that you can use to maximize stats. It will definitely take a lot longer, but as long as you are more of a casual player, I can see that being a fine way to play the game. There will always be some sort of content to keep the whales invested (maybe a PvP mode at some point?), but I think the vast majority of the content will be fine for F2P folks. Just set your sights lower than maxing out every challenge possible.

Of course, if you want to pay for the gems and battle pass, that will greatly accelerate your growth. For people that don't want to wait weeks or months (assuming you even log in EVERY DAY), it is definitely a good option and not a ripoff IMO (unlike some other gacha games...or NBA 2K :p). The balance seems about right to me, especially for a new game.

Yung-T likes this.
  10. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

I finally got back into video games during COVID....I finished GTA V, Spider-Man, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2, Arkham Origins, AC Origins, AC Black Flag.

I picked up Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us part 2...both were pretty sick...Ive been tring to finish all my PS4 games.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think you mentioned buying a PS5 in your Valhalla thread, so you should wait til it comes out and play your PS4 games on there.
    PS5 backwards compatibility utilizes the full CPU and GPU power of the console, so PS4 games will constantly hit their FPS cap, have quicker loading times and other improvements.
    I detailed more things in the Next Gen thread.

12. Duncan McDonuts

So the patch is out. While they added new content and QoL changes to the UI, I hate the new gameplay mechanics. I'm taking more self damage from fire and overload. It's a huge nerf to my current team that I have no resources to build up replacements.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They on Chinese social media are already saying they'll fix or reverse this, many ppl are pissed.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

That's a relief. It's a universally hated nerf that makes team combos unplayable.

In other news, Venti + Klee intentionally doesn't work so I'm sad. I'll be trying Sucrose with Klee after I level my Jean and replace Fischl with Xingqiu.

Are you trying for Childe? I think my teams are done. I don't have enough XP books for the characters I currently have. I'll be spending my primos on the weapon banner which has some good upgrades.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I've tried Childe and while his melee damage seems good after applying Reptide with the bow, his overall package seems a bit suspect (huge cooldown on the melee form, bow damage is abysmal). It also seems you need to ramp his constellation up quite a bit for him to be really effective, if u check the boni.
    First reports from some of the more technical ppl say the same.

Fwiw, there's a new highly regarded tierlist from one of the Chinese gacha community top dogs, so it seems like I'll have to adjust my party a bit.

The tierlist from left to right says DPS, secondary DPS and utility/heal.
    I'll level up Xingqiu and Bennett and add them to my team, as their burst and ultimate apparently are overpowered and add to Klee&Fischl.

So anyway, I guess I'll wait for Ayaka and maybe also throw some wishes at Xiao when he hits. Or maybe there'll be some surprise banners with good characters that tempt me along the way.

16. Duncan McDonuts

I've been keeping up with the tier lists. JinJinx is a YouTuber I watch and he's been on the Xingqiu and Bennett hype train before the West has. I had enough books to get Xingqiu to 40 to replace Fischl so I don't overload myself to death, and it seems promising. His damage reduction on the E is good, too. I'll make use of his C6 and the Sacrificial Sword I have so hopefully he has good uptime on his auras.

I'm liking Jean a lot, especially since I can force choke enemies into the water to drown them or launch them in the air for strong fall damage. I need to upgrade her artifacts. I'm so out of Mora and XP books and it'll take a while to get them through the new BP.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thanks for the recommendation, I checked out his channel and he goes very in-depth about things. Subscribed.

18. Poloshirtbandit

Played a little Miles Morales last night (PS4). Game is fun but very glitchy. Audio issues during cutscenes, couldn't exit the suit selection screen.

19. val_modus

val_modus Member

I just finished Remedy’s Control, a 2019 title. Honestly one of the most underrated games I’ve ever picked up. You’re basically a matrix like, flying supernatural being fighting inter dimensional entities. Incredible gameplay and feel.

Yung-T likes this.
  20. val_modus

val_modus Member

the PS4 god of war remake/sequel is a must for your list. Probably the best PlayStation game I’ve ever played.

Invisible Fan likes this.