1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What degree will make more money in Houston, Finance or MIS?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanEver, Sep 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am trying to figure out which degree would eventually make more money in Houston. Finance or MIS? I am good at math and understand programming.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

finance if you can get a investment banking job

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Don't know anything about finance. But a decent .NET programmer with few years of experiences can make 60 to 90K. You can make more if you specialize.

4. Chopped

Chopped Member

if you are good at math and programming, screw them both and go to electrical engineering.

most of the weed out classes for engineering are math and programming related (atleast at UH) so you have better chance of making it.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If you are an investment banker you can make 100k easily right out of college. You work a lot though.

6. droxford

droxford Member

As someone who has been in IT for my entire career, I strongly recommend going in the finance direction.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Depends what secondary skills you have IMO. An articulate programmer with some design and business skills can make a killing.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'm not sure what degree will make you more money, but the advice I can offer you goes like this: it seems like the guys with the most money are also usually the biggest toolbag douchenozzles around. So, no matter what degree you pursue, do everything you can to amp up your douchieosity to levels that most decent people will find unbearable - it won't matter, because you'll drive a really flashy car and you'll be able to convince yourself that they just hatin'.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I love how people talk about getting a IB job is so easy, it isn't. You know those students who were willing to risk getting shot at so they could attend classthose are the kind of students that have a chance. Assuming the have high gpas and can talk well too. Not only do you have to have your 3.8 gpa, you have to know people, and then once you get in work like a dog sleeping under your desk at times. Also it helps if you went to an Ivy league school.

I have interviewed at some hedge funds and those people aren't f'ing around.

If you are going to UH the chance of you working top tier VC or IB is not super great.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you're getting a Finance degree, keep your GPA above 3.75 and get at least 12 hours of post-intro accounting. You also need to know how to write macros, now. Barring that, be willing to do commission insurance or finance sales positions right out of school, but go ahead and hold out, for sales positions, for either a top-level investment firm or at least "respectable" insurance firm: Allstate or something of that stature. Barring that, have fun at Walgreen's or with your second bachelors.

If you want to do something computer-related, I wonder if straight Computer Science, or some kind of Computer & Electronics Engineering degree (not EE), is a better way to go. Although, MIS is a good Business Analyst/Project Management degree, especially (?) if the MIS major is actually part of the business school.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I never said getting an IB job was easy, all I am stating are facts that IBers make a lot of cash, but work a ton.

12. Remix

Remix Member

I know someone that will be graduating with a MIS degree from UH that just got hired by shell for around 62k

13. yaonow

yaonow Member

lol barely anyone outside of harvard and upenn can even get an IB interview even with a 4.0. So what is the point of mentioning it to this guy?

I can "state facts" that being a CEO or an NBA player make lots of cash but what use is it to OP?

14. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Maybe times have changed since 2007, but IB job offers were very common for McCombs (UT Austin) undergrads.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

that's not true at all, I go to McCombs and there are people who get jobs ibanking straight out of graduation. Sure, all of them have high GPAs (3.8 at least), 2 years experience interning and are probably good interviewers, but it's possible.

16. tulexan

tulexan Member

Definitely not true. Maybe at a bulge bracket, but there are tons of investment banks. It's certainly not easy to get an investment banking job but you don't have to be an ivy leaguer

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

What about for jobs in Houston and if I am going back to college after a really bad 1st year? It's so bad that I don't think I can get 3.8.

I currently make as much money or more than a HISD teacher, but I want to get at least 75k with a degree.

18. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

75k out of college? Or after a couple years experience? Cause there's no way you go into IT with no experience and make anything close to that right away.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Transfer to another school. Take as many credits with you as you can and get a clean slate with the GPA.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

$75k with just a Bachelors is a big bet, remember all your competition are 21 year olds who will trade money for experience. Engineering, Pharmacy, Dental or Medical school. The IT guys should know which computah certifications (DBA? MSCE?) can make you money.