1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac640, May 28, 2008.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

I've read every HP book more than once and others more than that. My wife is going through them again right now. They are great, great reading.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

I'm doing my usual juggling...

Pretend You Don't See Her - Mary Higgins Clark. Not exactly high-quality literature, but Clark's books are my guilty pleasures.

Ellen Foster - Kaye Gibbons. Sort of a female Catcher in the Rye.

The Reasons I won't Be Coming - Elliot Perlman. Interesting book, has several poignant short stories, but it seems like the author used a thesaurus to write every word. I'm usually a fan of wordiness, but in this book it takes concentration to pick up on everything.

3. weslinder

weslinder Member

The Cult of the Presidency: America's Dangerous Devotion to Executive Power by Gene Healy - Not far enough in to reccommend, but George Will calls it the most important political book this year.

Decision in Philadelphia by Christopher Collier - excellent popular history book about the Constitutional Convention. If you like David McCullough's histories and biographies, you'll like it.

4. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Re-reading David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day". Real good book.

You guys should check it out.

Also, I just finished reading "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris... again.

I can't help it, I just love the guy!

5. TracyMcCrazyeye

[​IMG]

good book for anyone remotely interested in the inner workings of the brain. the language is not too complex and could be read by anyone.

6. First Lady

First Lady Member

i started reading "dress your family in corduroy and denim" at barnes nobles on day. he writes about his childhood and his family and he talks a lot about his dad, right?

i've been wanting to read some of his books, what kinds of books does he write?

7. Blake

Blake Member

Really didn't care for Me Talk Pretty.

My sister loves it

reading "The Singularity Is Near", though I rarely read non-fiction

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

Berstein Bears and the In Crowd

actually i just bought black wind by clive cussler over the weekend was about to start it tonight after work, pretty good timing on this thread.

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Good call, David Sedaris is hilarious and a damn good essayist. I've read those two, haven't been able to find any others in bookstores...

10. Carlos Nice

Carlos Nice Rookie

i'm not currently reading a book but my wife went on a 3 book rampage 3 weeks ago...3 freakin books in 2 weeks...

Author: Stephanie Meyer

Twilight, worldwide Best Seller
    New Moon
    Eclipse

she was so excited to read her books that she would even take them to work with her...she neglected me and "the boys" for about 3 or 4 days until i forced myself onto her, HAHA !!! that's what she gets...

anwyays, she would ALWAYS tell me about the books and what was happening...lastly, the movie is scheduled to come out in December...it's basically about some hot chick that falls in love with this really hot and dreamy Vampire dude...

i'm actually excited...after watching the trailer i'd actually pay to go watch it:

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xBvOhfL4mYw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xBvOhfL4mYw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

A lot of it (well, all of it, I think) is autobiographical, delf-deprecating humor. He talks a lot about his family life, drug use, and how it was being raised in the Carolinas. Basically, he makes fun of himself and his funny. Real good stuff.

"Naked" is another good one. I have yet to read anything that I dislike by him. If you see a book of his, get it. Can't go wrong.

Really? Me Talk Pretty is perhaps my favorite of his. I think I've read it 5 times in all.

Check out Half Price books. The one in Rice Village carries a lot of his stuff.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

Steve Martin's autobio memoir Born Standing Up was a good read. I never knew he had that disorder (forget what it's called) where he was afraid that his heart would stop at any second. Irrational fear of dying at any moment? Not what you'd expect from such a light hearted comedian.

I'm almost finished with Constantin Stanislavki's On the Art of the Stage and about halfway through Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot.

13. T Rex

T Rex Member

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness
    by Richard H. Thaler & Cass R. Sunstein

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Haha. I'm actually just finishing Conspiracy of Fools. Amazing! I blew through the last 300 pages or so. How would you rate it out of all the ones you've read? I'm not really obsessed with the topic, but the story was great - I wouldn't mind adding another Enron book to my list if it stacks up to COF.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

That's a series right.. I think I have read a couple of them. Good stuff.

I like vampire books. They make me happy! Escapism ftw!

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just finished this last night (highly recommended):

[​IMG]

About 50 pages away from finishing this (I'm just now discovering The Rolling Stones and hate that it took me 31 years.):

[​IMG]

Will start this tonight while watching the Astros beat up on the Cards:

[​IMG]

17. First Lady

First Lady Member

these books are like the hottest thing. i think she's coming out with the fourth one in the series. everyone and their mom has been talking about the twilight series. i've read the first one and part of the second. it's actually really good.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Actually, I would rate COF as the best by a large margin. I like the narrative. It reads like a movie script, except it's all true. I also like the fact that it's all in chronological order. It makes everything easier to understand and follow. It does kind of paint Skilling as more of a tragic figure than a crook.

My run-down of the other books I've read:

• The Smartest Guys in the Room - The most fact based one of them all. It doesn't leave anything out, but can be a little hard to understand at times.
    • Power Failure - The one written by Sharon Watkins. Interesting perspective, but don't believe her "whistleblower" stuff for a minute. How can you be a "whistleblower" when you only blow the whistle to people inside the company? It's like a get-away car driver telling the bank robber that they should turn left instead of right, then being called a "hero" after they run into a tree.
    • Anatomy of Greed: The Unshredded Truth from an Enron Insider - This one is pretty entertaining, but the title is VERY misleading because the "Enron Insider" is actually just a lower level (non-energy) trader who worked there for less than a year. He didn't even know who Andy Fastow was until after the bankrupcy. But an interesting look at the culture inside the company from the perspective of the average employee.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't know how to read....

20. bnb

bnb Member

Just finished "Journey through Labrador" a self published book about a guy who walks and then kayaks up the Newfoundland coast. I'm trying to get his earlier book "Tales of a Travelling Man" about and eight year bicycle journey around the world. I love this stuff.

I think I'll get Conspiracy of Fools too. Thanks guys.