1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the chances Rudy T coaches again?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OrangeRowdy95, May 13, 2013.

1. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

He's part of a handful of living coaches with multiple championship rings. He's a great coach.

Has he recovered from his cancer/exhaustion/alcoholism?

2. TheresTheDagger

I might be wrong....

but I'm pretty sure the man is retired for good.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think coaching Kobe was enough for him he is done.

4. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

does anyone know his health status? just out of curiosity

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I always held some hope he might coach Michigan or return to the US Olympic teams permanently. Of all of Rudy's coaching jobs that 98 bronze medal placement might have been the most impressive. Definitely a flawed coach, but still one of the greatest ever.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

He's done. I don't think he'd want that pressure of a head coaching job again. Being a scout sounds good.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I saw Rudy at TC this last season. He's getting up there in age. He walks slow and wears thick glasses. I'd say NONE.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Being only 20, didnt really see much of Rudy T and his coaching methods and all that, what current coach does he seem most aligned with?

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This was his coaching strategy.

Okay Kenny, bring the ball up. Throw it to Hakeem in the post. Beat your man, if you get double, beat both of them if you want or kick it to the open man for a three.

10. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Stucchi's Ice Cream, a venture of Houston Rockets' Coach Rudy Tomjanovich and his wife, is highly praised for its frozen yogurt and waffle cones.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

lmao funny thread.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was great with big egos, highly respected, highly motivational, not a micro-manager.

Not the greatest with X's and O's (nowadays you just get an assistant for that if you're of Rudy's caliber, and even Phil Jackson had Tex Winter).

He was not attached to any sets, which I love. You have Hakeem? Feed him. You have Francis during the iso-heavy-era? Let him create. Rudy wasn't stubborn, not a system guy.

The X's and O's deficiency didn't really hurt us until the Big 3 aged and everyone realized all 3 guys liked to operate from the same spot on the floor, but even then, with Drexler/Barkley/Olajuwon healthy during the first year we had the best winning % I'm pretty sure.

I'm not sure who you could compare Rudy to right now. Maybe a dash of McHale's fire and candor sprinkled with a Pat Riley-like level of respect sans the dictator gene? Meh, weak comparison. They don't make em' like Rudy anymore.

13. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

Rudy T was one of the early pioneers of using the "stretch 4" with players like bullard and horry to create spacing on the floor.

the genius of rudy t really was his flexibility though. he was able to adapt to many different personnel packages and drastically different rosters without being handcuffed to a system (a la JVG)

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

He was like Phil, Larry Brown, and Pop all in one person. Plus he took the saying "never underestimate the heart of a champion" and made it sexy.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

That was always the enduring imprint whenever I looked back at old tapes, wasnt the reason that Barkley came to Houston soley because of the esteem Rudy was held in? Although its painful to watch him talk about the rockets nowadays even during yaos time..

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If it's the same one they had a location in Houston behind the Weslayan Edwards that went out of business.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The impression I got was more of a players coaches as been discussed, someone that just commanded respect. but its nice to get an understanding of his flexibility

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Yao's rookie season under Rudy T was his most exiciting season. After that Yao became kind of robotic.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rudy send to be enjoying scouting and watching games white grabbing a fat paycheck. Coaching had an obvious toll on his health and personal life.

I remember those years when injuries wrecked the lineup and you had nobodies like Sam Mack and chucky brown in the nightly rotation. Didn't always work butt it held the fort.

20. the shark

the shark Member

this has to be the most ignorant post I've ever read on Clutch fans.