1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What about Brian Skinner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jan 18, 2003.

1. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

As you know, I have been one of those Rox fans who have been adamant about trading for a legitimate bruiser type PF. A PF that does the dirty work, rebounds/defense and plays like a bruiser to help Yao. I realize that we can not get any big names but what about Brian Skinner?

This guy is EXACTLY what we need and it shouldn't cost us very much. He is not getting much PT but he has the potential to become a PJ Brown or Brian Grant. He plays big and will help us immediately 6'9 265. He had 17 pts last night on 7 of 9 shooting and shot 3 for 3 from the foul line. Pretty solid guy. He even came off the bench. PHily has too many PFs so they dont really need him (Coleman, Van Horn, Kenny Thomas) Thoughts????

Yao/Cato
    Skinner/Taylor/Eddie G
    Eddie G/Posey/Rice
    Mobley/Posey/Hawkins
    Francis/Moochie

With this line up and assuming we can improve our chemistry, I really think we can become a 4th seed and get to the Western Champships. I think we can beat Phoenix, Minnesota, Portland, Jazz, Spurs.. We will have problems with the Lakers, Sac and Dallas in the playoffs but hopefully we only have to face one of em...

2. Mobes05

Mobes05 Member

If Skinner were a starter on the Rockets, we'd be in trouble. But he would be a good guy off the bench. The only problem is we have a player identical to him in Terrence Morris.

3. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

I haven't seen Brian Skinner do anything amazing. The only good attribute about him is he went to Baylor. :) I wouldn't want him. Jason Collier for Brian Skinner...maybe. I wouldn't trade anyone else for him. Maybe Tito Maddox...

4. codell

codell Member

Indeed you have. I have counted at least 4 threads you have started on this subject in the past 3 weeks.

Starting multiple threads critisizing our PFs and advocating we trade for middle-aged or scrub players is not going to make the Rockets pull the trigger on a trade. :)

The guy has been in the league for 4 1/2 years now and has accomplished nothing noteworthy. He has ONE good game and now all of the sudden he the answer to a problem that we don't have?

You are right here. He would not cost us much because he is not much of a player.

Definitely not an upgrade over Mo and Griffin.

Ding ding ding! He is not getting much PT because he is a marginal role player. Like someone said earlier, we already have Terrence Morris.

One game does not make a player. This game was the exception to the rule for him.

This is not correct. Kenny Thomas is playing mostly a 3 role with them and Coleman is a 5. Their 4s are Van Horn and Skinner.

EG has show flashes the last few games of being the PF we want him to be. He is 20 years old. Lets give him time.

By the time we are ready to contend for a title, we should no by then if EG is the man or not. :D

Yao/Cato
    Skinner/Taylor/Eddie G
    Eddie G/Posey/Rice
    Mobley/Posey/Hawkins
    Francis/Moochie

With this line up and assuming we can improve our chemistry, I really think we can become a 4th seed and get to the Western Champships. I think we can beat Phoenix, Minnesota, Portland, Jazz, Spurs.. We will have problems with the Lakers, Sac and Dallas in the playoffs but hopefully we only have to face one of em...
    [/QUOTE]

5. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Codell,

HAHHAHA... you had me laughing so hard that my abs started hurting!!! GREAT POST!!

But I think that you under estimate what Skinner can do for us. WHen he was starting (before Coleman came back), he was averaging around 10 boards a game and playing solid defense. More importantly, he is a team oriented player that is not afraid to throw his body around for loose balls and for setting screens. IMO, this is the EXACT type of player we need. He can be comparable to Horace Grant when he was on the Bulls. Doesnt do anything flashy but does the things to help the ball club win.

Don't sell our Rox short this year. With the addition of a bruiser, better passing and the maturation of Ming and the domination of Francis, we can compete against almost anyone!!! GO ROX!!!! :)

6. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Terrence Morris game is totally different than Skinners. T Mo likes shooting jumpers and slashing. Skinner is just there to board and play d. T Mo game is very similar to Eddie G in my opinion.