1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What 1 move do you wish Daryl Morey could have a do over on?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 22, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

In my opinion, Daryl Morey is as good of a GM as there is in the NBA. I think what he has done absolutely speaks for itself although there are still those that argue that point. But there are plenty of threads debating that opinion and the point of this thread is not to continue that debate. Regardless how you feel about Daryl, there is bound to be at least one move Daryl Morey made or did not make that you feel was a mistake. Every GM in the league (regardless of success) is bound to have multiple moves he wishes he could have a mulligan on.

So what is the one move that Daryl Morey made that you think was a mistake? There are a number of candidates that I can think of right of the top of my head; trading a 1st round pick for Terrence Williams, drafting Royce White. Even if you subscribe to the belief that Daryl Morey is the one responsible for the draft day trade of Rudy Gay for Shane Battier, you might think that was his mistake.

1. What move did Daryl Morey make or not make that you would have done differently? Why?

2. Do you think in hindsight Daryl would have done that move differently? if so in what way?

The one move I think was a mistake was letting Goran Dragic sign with the Suns in free agency. Goran Dragic makes 7.5 million a season and his contract runs through the summer of 2016 if he exercises his player option. By comparison Daryl Morey signed Jeremy Lin who makes 8.374 million a season through the summer of 2015 with no player option.

Goran Dragic is playing at an all star level averaging 20 PPG, 6 APG, 1.4 SPG and is shooting .502 FG% and .404 3PT%. He has been one of the best finishers in the paint and is a hard worker on defense. I personally think he is having just as good of a season or better than Stephen Curry. He is a better finisher in the paint, he gets to the line more often and makes more free throws a game, he is only .013% worse than Curry as a 3pt shooter this season and in my opinion he is a better defender than Curry. That’s not to say he is as good as Curry through out their careers but only this season. We will see what the future brings.

I believe the Rockets would have been a better team with Goran Dragic last season as opposed to Jeremy Lin. I think the team would have had a better chance of going further in the play offs with Goran Dragic and his salary was more conducive to signing Dwight Howard this past off season than Jeremy Lin’s contract. I think having both Goran Dragic and James Harden in the same back court would be so far better than any other back court in the NBA that it would be scary. With Goran Dragic as the starting point guard with this group, I don’t think there would be any talk of a needed upgrade at the point guard position. I think all of the discussion would be on making the bench better.

Eventually, what determines if letting Goran Dragic walk last summer was the right or wrong move will be decided by what Daryl Morey does with the available cap space in the summer of 2015. If Daryl signs Lebron James or some other superstar then it was probably the right move. Some of the possible unrestricted free agents for the summer of 2015 are:

Aaron Afflalo
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Carmelo Anthony
    Chris Bosch
    Goran Dragic
    Eric Gordon
    Roy Hibbert
    Lebron James
    Brook Lopez
    Kevin Love
    Paul Milsap
    Zach Randolph
    Dwayne Wade

A lot of those guys would have to not exercise their player option, including Goran Dragic.

If Daryl Morey had it to do all over again would he have given Goran Dragic the 4th year and kept him in Houston? My instincts tell me no he wouldn’t. I think Daryl is so focused in on the free agent class of 2015 that he is not going to add any unnecessary salary past the 14/15 season. But I think what will really be an indicator is what Daryl Morey does with Chandler Parsons this summer. If Daryl makes Chandler a restricted free agent this summer and resigns him to a new high dollar, long term contract then I think he forfeits any opportunity to land a Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge type of player in 2015. If that happens and Goran Dragic continues to play at his current level, then I think it would be hard for Daryl Morey to not admit that letting Goran walk in free agency was a mistake.

1 person likes this.
  2. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

I really wish Morey at least showed Millsap an offer before he signed with the Hawks

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm ok with Dwight instead.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am no capologist, but if picking Goran's 4th year option wasn't an impediment in obtaining Dwight Howard, I would have retained him. Lin is a good player, but Goran is a more aggressive pusher of the ball. He is always active. He can make good and quick entry passes. Lin needs to score first, before he is confident enough to set up his teammates.

I was very surprised why Morey gave up a 1st rounder to get T-Will off the team too.

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Yo move on with Goran, it's the past. Let it be.

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Giving up that 1st for Terrence is 2nd.

Mine is drafting Royce White, rather we took PJ3 at the time, but in hindsight maybe Sullinger or Wroten.

7. crash5179

All the moves in this thread open for discussion are in the past. That's the point of a do over or a mulligan. There is bound to be one move you wish Daryl would have done differently, it doesn't have to be based on Goran Dragic.

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Dragic. I'm assuming of course that everything else would've played out the same(i.e. the Harden trade and signing Dwight).

Then again, what would've happened next summer with the 2015 free agent class had Dragic been given a 4th year option? If he chose not to opt out, there goes the cap space to sign any big name player. If he did opt out, we'd be shelling out some major jack to keep him and get someone else.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is pretty much how i feel. Drafting Royce White was his biggest mistake. Trading a 1st for TWill was probably #2. I think we have to wait till 2015 free agency to tell whether or not refusing to give Dragic that 4th year was the right move. If we are able to sign a guy like Aldridge or Love with that available cap space, I don't see how people could say letting Dragic walk was a mistake. He'd be Rocket if he was willing to take 3 years instead of 4.

10. makio9

makio9 Member

Trade for Rondo and just start Jordan Hamilton.

Would have been nice trading Brewer. I'm assuming that's why he was waived a day after the deadline.

11. makio9

makio9 Member

But then you have Beverley and Lin which also needed to be traded. Surely that could have made another decent SF even if it means losing the trades. Still end up with Rondo Harden new decent SF or PF Jones Dwight

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Trading for #WORDAPP

13. makio9

makio9 Member

Oh, you mean forever and not just now...sorry!

14. ada32

ada32 Member

Let it go, it is the past!

You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
    Johnny Cash

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
    John F. Kennedy

15. Play07

Play07 Member

Another dragic thread ? You would think this guy won a title with the rockets eh way people talk about letting him walk, but truth his team folded and didn't get to the playoffs then had the nerve to demand a team option NO, mores went another direction and we've been a playoff ever since !!

16. Play07

Play07 Member

Another dragic thread ? You would think this guy won a title with the rockets eh way people talk about letting him walk, but truth his team folded and didn't get to the playoffs (big disappointment) then had the nerve to demand a team option NO, morey went another direction and we've been a playoff team ever since !! Currently #3 in the west.

& are very flexible in 2015 with players coming off our books. Where was all this hype last year when suns were trash ?

17. Babalooga

Babalooga Member

People just had Dynex envy. Dude sets the trends. Men want to be him and women want to be with him.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

2-22-14 @zachlowe
    "Just finished Grizz-Clips. Free throws killed flow, but matchup continues to be super fun. James Johnson is getting ridiculous."

This is Moreys most recent mistake not waving brewer a long time ago instead of waiting to waive him for a guy who will not touch the floor. He slowed down griffin last night, and is one of the best guys to throw on KD because of how physical he gets in the west.

19. crash5179

Nope, it's not a Dragic thread. Dragic was just my pick as the one move I wish Morey could have a do over on. What is your move? It's just a discussion, not a bashing. I would not trade DM for any other GM in the league.

20. crash5179

Yep, it's frustrating to see guys that are right under your nose get picked up by another team only to turn into a really good player. I was worried that someone would pick up Tony Daniels and he would start scorching the rest of the league from beyond the arc. I'm hopping that Covington turns out to be as good as Johnson.