1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber Remembers Debut Against Dream

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 7, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I figure Hakeem admiration articles are always welcome in the GARM:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/07/SPETUT80I.DTL

[rquoter]
    (02-06) 20:22 PST -- Rest assured the sight of Ben Wallace or Joe Smith won't faze Chris Webber tonight. Certainly not in the way the sight of Hakeem Olajuwon affected Webber the first time he debuted with the Warriors.

This evening, Webber makes his initial appearance with the 2007-08 Warriors in their 49th game when they face Wallace, Smith and the rest of the Bulls at Oracle Arena.

On Nov. 9, 1993, Webber played in his first NBA game when the Warriors took on Olajuwon and the eventual champion Rockets in Oakland. Webber had missed the first two games of that season because of an ankle injury.

After Wednesday's practice, Webber said he remembered his first pro game "like it was yesterday," even though it took place more than 14 years ago.

"I remember everything Hakeem Olajuwon had on and how he looked," Webber said. "The first play of the game, I told Latrell (Sprewell), 'I'm not going to play. I'm just going to look and take this moment in.' ... I'm glad they didn't pass to Hakeem.

"I just remember looking at his legs and his arms, how tall he was. He was somebody I admired my whole life."

At that point, Webber's whole life had consisted of 20 years and 8 months. Olajuwon gave Webber more reasons for admiration that night as the Dream had 32 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots in Houston's 102-93 victory.

Webber's line: 15 points on 5-for-12 shooting, seven rebounds and two blocks.

Though he clearly savors the memories of his pro debut, Webber won't draw on that experience tonight when he returns to the Golden State lineup. Instead, he'll try to approach the game the way he did when he debuted with his hometown Pistons on Jan. 17, 2007, after signing with Detroit in midseason.

"It was such an overwhelming feeling, such a show of support from the fans, that I didn't want to get caught up in that moment and then not be able to do my job on the court," Webber said. "So (tonight) I'm just going to try to be focused and take it in after the game."

Webber's first game with Detroit didn't go exactly smoothly: He came off the bench to play 17 minutes, scored two points on 1-for-5 shooting, and the Pistons lost 100-99 to Utah.

The Warriors and Webber probably expect better things tonight. Golden State hasn't played since Friday, and head coach Don Nelson spent the past five days working to get Webber and his teammates comfortable with each other.

"The bond has happened, just like I hoped it would," Nelson said. "We'll know more as we play longer with him, but certainly for five days now, we have a good feel on how to use him."

The addition of Webber, Nelson has said, should enable Stephen Jackson (39.1 minutes per game), Baron Davis (39.0 mpg) and Monta Ellis (36.1 mpg) to get a little more rest. That's not what makes Webber's signing appealing to Jackson.

"I think Webber was brought here to make us a better team," Jackson said. "Forget giving us breaks. Forget all the other stuff. He's here to make us a better team and that's what he's going to do."

Specifically, Jackson said, Webber will improve the Warriors' set offense.

"A lot of times in our half-court offense," Jackson said, "we have to make our own plays to get to the basket. I think with C-Webb, all it takes is a little cut or two, or just a good screen, and you're open to get layups.

"So, I think me and (Davis) and even Monta will get at least six points a game on easy baskets."

Briefly: The next three-pointer Webber makes will be his first with the Warriors. He went 0-for-14 from beyond the arc in his rookie season. In his career, he's 264-for-883 from long distance.

The Warriors won 119-111 at Chicago on Jan. 18 as Davis tied his career high with 40 points. That's the most scored by any Warrior this season. ... The Bulls have lost eight straight in Oakland. Chicago's last victory in the Bay Area came Jan. 30, 1998, an 87-80 decision in which Scottie Pippen had 22 points and Dennis Rodman 22 rebounds.[/rquoter]

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1993.. what great year!