1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wealthy hit-and-run killer buys his way out of prison

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thadeus, Jun 8, 2011.

1. thadeus

thadeus Member

Justice is blind ... and also deaf and dumb if you're wealthy.

So, we have the wealthy guy getting away with murder, now we just need the second half of the profitwhore powermonger formula of politically powerful + wealthy = "We don't care, and you can't make us. We're in control."

Formula complete.

So, if justice only applies to the rest of us ... is there really any justice? Do we really have laws if they only apply to powerless people?

If not ... what do we have?

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What a horrible execution of justice in that whole affair. Absolutely frustrating. But it isn't as serious of course because the perp wasn't an illegal alien.

4. thadeus

thadeus Member

Yeah, OJ was another wealthy man who escaped punishment for his crime. It just goes to show - the most significant division between people in the United States today is not race, it's not political affiliation, it's not gender - it's class.

Oh, and here's a great quotation from David Bogenschutz:

So, if you're wealthy you're not required to grow up or to recognize you have to stay out of trouble until after you have 50 traffic violations, you drive into a cop, and you kill two people.

I know people who have had their lives completely disrupted by a single misdemeanor.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

The most disturbing part of this story, to me, is this:

I guess everyone has their price. :(

6. juicystream

juicystream Member

Him going to prison does nothing for them, but $1 million goes a long way. Not that I know how much they got.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Even so, I'm disappointed. They could have sued him even if he was in prison. Maybe it would take longer and they'd get less money, but there's no reason why a monetary settlement should have anything at all to do with criminal sentencing.

Besides the crooked outcome, why is this judge even presiding? Having the defense attorney in the case also acting as your campaign treasurer is an obvious conflict of interest. She should have recused herself, right?

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

at least o.j. actually won at trial. he didn't plead guilty and get a ridiculous sentence like this.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For real.

10. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

On a clandestine date with his mistress one night, top Wall Street investment banker and snobbish WASP Sherman McCoy misses his turn on the thruway and gets lost in the South Bronx; his Mercedes hits and seriously injures a young black man. The incident is inflated by a manipulative black leader, a district attorney seeking reelection and a sleazy tabloid reporter into a full-blown scandal, a political football and a hokey morality play.

/Tom Wolfe'd

11. thadeus

thadeus Member

This isn't now, and never was, an issue of him going to jail OR the families getting money. That's a false choice.
    This wasn't a zero sum game.

The judge simply said that to justify the fact that she let a convicted murderer escape the appropriate punishment for this crime and so the suckers who want to ignore this can justify it to themselves.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Here's my thinking, and I actually started thinking about this a few days ago.
    You get arrested and going to be sent to jail for, lets say 5 years. You should be given the option, depending on the type of crime, to go to jail for 5 years or go under house arrest.
    For house arrest, you serve 1.2x the length of your sentence and no chance of parole. So, in this example, you serve 6 years. There is a maximum size of the facility you're allowed to be in, maybe 1k sqft. Also, for every year, you have to pay a fee, maybe $100k/year.
    Obviously there would be major problems with this. White collar crimes may go up, since the threat of actual jail time would not be relevant. But, this increases revenue for the state, and decreases the prison population.
    I donno, it's just a thought.

13. thadeus

thadeus Member

I think it's a bummer that people see a case like this as an anomaly when, in reality, it's a standard way of doing business - the wealthy and our elected officials are in the same bed, and when they get together they almost always **** the rest of us.

14. juicystream

juicystream Member

I agree with you. A civil suit should have been how they got their money, and their receiving money shouldn't have to do with criminal sentencing. The guy should have been doing hard time. I understand that this was probably the most efficient thing to do (saves taxpayers money, and helps protect the widows), but that can't apply in a situation that claims lives, in particular with the way this guy disregarded the value of those lives. If this had been his first offense, if he had stopped, called the police, and did the right thing, than maybe this outcome wouldn't have been as egregious.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Where is the justice that protects society from this guy doing this again and again? We are now endangered because they couldn't wait for a civil trial to sate their appetite for money.

Justice my arse.