1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should not go for a big in the draft, but rather..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W22_STREAK, Jun 3, 2010.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

For this upcoming draft everyone is advocating left and right for us to draft a big man. However that would be a big mistake we would be making if thats what we ended up doing.

Too many people are fans of big, raw front court players. They have a high percentage of bust. Unless you were the Seattle Supersonics back in the days (Sene, Robert Swift, Johan Petro, Nick Collison )

As far as Whiteside is concerned, he reminds me a lot of Eddie Griffin in that he is a long shotblocker with a questionable motor and an early penchant for shooting the J. Couldn't even score a point against Hilton Armstrong 1 on 1...thats gotta say something..

DeMarcus Cousins would cost too much to move up. We are better served saving those kind of assets for sign and trades come Free Agency.

And do we really have the 3-4 years required to see contributions from Daniel Orton ? (thats if he actually turns out to be a legit big man)

Ed Davis, Ekpe Udoh, Cole Aldrich, Donatas Motiejunas ---- Pass Pass Pass Pass.

Now let me bring you guys to the real deal of the draft:

Morey, pick this guy at 14! He's legit.

2. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

We trust Morey who will do his job !

3. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Paul George is nice, real nice. But where does he get his PT with Ariza, Battier, Martin and Budinger?

4. ROCKCITY

ROCKCITY Member

His stock is rising very quickly. He might not be available by the 14th pick. NBADraft.net has him going to New Orleans with the 11th pick.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I imagine we could draft George and move Budinger + Battier/Ariza in a trade for the big man we need.

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Battier probably has more value as an expiring contract than he will be to us as a player. So Battier will probably be gone. Plus, if we are going after a Max FA Battier's 7 million salary will be nice to match the 15 million or so we'd need to add together to.

Martin/Ariza/Budinger/George would be an awesome wing combination for us to have. Its exactly like the Brooks/Lowry combo, offense/defense entwined. lol.

And who knows, maybe Budinger wouldn't be here next season.

And if we were to draft a big man then it kinda defeats the purpose of going after Bosh. If Bosh comes here and gets 40+ mins...then where is the rookie big man gonna play? Yao + Bosh + Scola + Hill leaves absolutely no room for anyone else

7. anchel

anchel Member

Why??

8. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yes, his stock is soaring at the moment. I bet Milwaukee will grab him instantly at 15th if we let him go past 14th.

But New Orleans? Don't think so...they need frontcourt help in the worst way in the league right now.

But I'm afraid Memphis will grab him right in front of our eyes.

I'd move up to grab Paul George....

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We need a young big man. We don't need another SG/SF. Although it would be nice having George. We would probably be able to get both.

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I seriously don't see any of those guys being any special. And if we already have Jordan Hill don't we? I'd say the only big man worth getting in this draft is DeMarcus Cousins or Derrick Favors. Everyone else is just...um..meh. lol.

Motiejunas wont be coming over next season.

Udoh...is this guy really nba-caliber? He put up some nice stats in college, sure, but I think this guys more of a college player than an NBA player. Hes probably gone before 14 anyways.

Davis...another PF?

Aldrich...not sure about this guy, but hes more Nick Collison than Brook Lopez

Alabi ...too much of a project. if we were to take on a project we'd be much better off getting someone like Orton.

11. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yep, we need a young big man. And his name is Chris Bosh.

Why you say we don't need another SG/SF? I'd hate to draft just based on positional preferences and pass on a legit star.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Always take the best player available.

I think he will get picked up by either NO, UTAH, or IND.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I only say that because the team is almost set except for a legit sized center. Preferably someone 7 ft. tall. I beleive Hill will be backing up Scola. I really wish that Morey would hurry up and jump in the trade talks with G. State that way we would be in a better position to draft a legit big with #6. With #6 we would be in the range of Cousins/Monroe. Both have top 4 draft ratings.

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

We need two EXPERIENCED big men- Bosh to play starting PF
    and Brad Miller to play behind Yao Ming.

Ariza, Brooks, Lowery, Hill, Budinger are our up and coming stars and they now have experience, Morey should attempt to keep this group toether.

Older experienced stars are Yao Scola and Martin.

Others available for trades along with all Picks etc....

Battier, Chuck, Andersen, Jefferies, Taylor

Leave it to the Wizard named Morey..... :p

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

And that is what Morey will do. But I don't know why were even talking about the 14th pick when we all know its very likely the rockets are either moving up or down in this draft based on Morey's history.

16. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Size will always win, that's why bigs are so tantalizing. Wings/scorers/athletes are a dime a dozen.

All the elite teams have size and length and plenty of guys who can protect the rim. Right now, the Rockets have none, and there's no telling how effective Yao will be upon his return.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm sure Morey's thinking goes something like this.

If players of equal grades are on the board, priorities: Center -> PF -> anyone else
    If one player is graded way above every other player, take that player.
    If no player is graded highly, trade the picks.
    If there was some wink-wink deal already in place, pick the guy the other team wants.

You can't pigeonhole yourself into any one kind of thinking. Multiple plans and contingencies must be presented, especially since we do have a fairly high pick, so there's not as much randomness as a low pick.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=171447

David Andersen 7'0

THIS GUY IS THE REAL DEAL...can we get this guy's draft rights from the freckin Hawks already??? Trust me this is the guy at centre that is the scola at the power forward position...he will become the next scola except he will become him at the Centre position!!!
    sign and trade someone or any scrub from our roster for this dude plus 3 million cash and 12312 future second round picks for this guy........believe me its worth it......if that doesnt do enough from hotlanta then battier for marvin williams josh childress and david andersen......that should do it...if not then we just go sign him from europe anyways and if david stern happen to find out then he obviously will make us forfeit all our wins right??? its hell of a win-win situation we'll end up with a 0-82 record on paper and first pick of 2010 here we come!!!

he is the premier big man in Europe of EuroLeague. average in 08-09 season 11.2 points with tremedous shooting percentages...55 percent on his 2 pointers and a fantastic 40.4 percent on his 3's with yao ming-esque free throw percentages...when you factor in the minutes played hes not much worse than luis scola when luis was dominating back in europe with luis' MVP awards coming left and right...

19. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

To me, it's hard to really say, because DM is likely to make 4-6 trades before summer league. If there's much difference, I really believe in taking the best player. If we can get Wall, we take Wall; if we can get Turner, we take Turner...

Beyond the first few players, though, I doubt there's much difference in ability between the best available and the second best.

But, if we did nothing else but take our draft pick, I'd stick with the bigs we have. The biggest holes we have, IMO, are backup C and backup SG (unless we need to find minutes for Bud). Outside of that, we can upgrade at any position, except starting C, where we have the great Yao Ming (except when he's injured).

So still, IMO, we should take the best deals we can get, regardless of position.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=141172
    "Playoffs? NO WAY!"