1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We don't need another star to win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Velcromium

Velcromium Member

Very well said, never understood why a guy like Calvin Murphy is wasting away his knowledge of the game on boob tube viewers. It makes no sense why he is not hired by the Rockets organization as an assistant.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Clyde Drexler has a good knowledge of the game but was a terrible coach.

Being a coach is a lot harder than simply knowing what you are talking about.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

We lost that series because of coaching for the most part. Stotts outcoached the clueless, incompetent joke of a head coach McHale who is a bottom 3 coach.

We have enough talent and more to beat the Blazers every single time but coaching or lack thereof is what held us back in that series.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

If clutchfans was a Windows 7 PC, you'd get the sticky keys pop up everytime you post asking you if you just want to autotype the whole bottom 3 coach meme in every post.

I'm telling you, put it in your sig and save your fingers the hassle.

5. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

I'm having some serious deja vu, because I thought I'd read this thread before... :p

6. Jt29

Jt29 Member

This, should start with a competent coach. Forget about dreaming to form a team USA squad, this is not a video game stuff, we are bound by many rules, n other teams also want what we want too. Mchale with a team USA squad? Just not happening. Why shall we keep spoiling mchale with more all stars? Then with all those rosters, even Clutch or bimathug could win championship, it doesnt have to be mchale. Stop this moreyball madness n start playing the right way, the spurs way if u may say.

7. Madclownpacasum

I agree. I believe we just need role legit role players.

8. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Repped, I completely agree with everything you said. To me it all comes back to McHale. I know it is useless at this point complaining about him, because he isn'g going anywhere, but all this stuff you mention ties into effort, will to win, and determination. Things that as our coach when he sees that it is lacking he needs to stick up to his players and have them fix it, but he keeps quiet. Always "play hard!" is all he ever seems to say. You think Pop would let his team play a 4th quarter the same way McHale lets the Rockets time and time again? No way. Third star or not, I am not confident we wouldnt be seeing the same problems

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree with the Lowry/Millsap comment, but I disagree that we can "be a championship like team just with some role player upgrades" or that we only need to shore up the bench. We need to shore up the STARTERS.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree the right role players can make us the best team in the league and provide extra flexibility if we need to tweak things.

For example I think getting Lowry, Illyasova and Ariza minus Parsons could be more beneficial to us than getting Melo and losing Parsons.

However I think the exception is Kevin Love. I really feel like there is no better fit for this team in the entire league except Lebron James - who is really a change to the core as opposed to a fit. Love's skills can improve the effectiveness of our other 2 stars, and their skills can improve his effectiveness. They all provide unique complimentary offensive skills, and that has a "sum greater than parts" effect. I really think we would be shooting for 65-ish wins with Love on this team given the signals our organization has given us as far as commitment to defensive improvement. McHale himself has been recruiting defensive assistants and that the head coach has accepted the flaws in this area constructively.

Love makes us dominant on the boards and makes our halfcourt game MUCH deadlier. He is no worse at defending than our existing starter at PF.

As far as defense goes I don't believe the addition of a defensive player will make a huge difference to our defense. I think that the improvement from a significant individual upgrade can be dwarfed by a change in team defensive philosophy, system and effort.

11. tadahito

tadahito Member

Looks like OP was smarter than Morey.

Rockets were a 58-60 win team last year if not for the failed Twin Towers experiment. Remember when we had the best record in the NBA after New Years?

Just needed to add a couple solids vets and a new coach.

Trying to overpay for 'superstars' on the wrong side of 30 was a risk Morey did not have to take. It ended up being a total disaster.

12. conquistador#11

you can have 10 superstars and still be only up on Spain by 7 points with 5 mintues to go in the fourth quarter.

13. calcium

calcium Member

I hope Morey does something good.

Cos after Asik/Parsons/Lin goes, and we dont get capable replacements,
    next season is going to be a series of heartache.

Then I'd feel sorry for DH12 most.

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL, except neither are free agents.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let us just sign 5 Arizas.... wait deja vu

16. joelcwu

joelcwu Member

You did not learn from 2014 Final, good old fashion basketball beat out hero ball.
    And you did not understand why Lebron choose Cle. Over Miami, only rookie skill contract can sustain a few Max player. Quality role player are just as important as star player to chase championship. You will never understand why Duncan, Dirk willing to play for less in order to win. Morey did not learn this and that's why where Rockets is where it is.